Police Checks... & reasons for refusal thereafter with visa app

Guest Tinkerbell34

Guest Tinkerbell34

Hi - New to this website and thinking (like so many others!) about moving to Australia.

My question is regarding my partner who 14 years ago was in court for ABH, but never charged over the offence... the case was heard by a judge but charges were dropped and he walked free so no actual charge for ABH shows on his record. Basically he would't have a criminal record. But he would have to give details of this on the police check and I'm very worried that this would be grounds for refusal in a visa application?

Just to let you know, he was up for ABH for beating up the man who beat his mother up for 10 years.... He has never been arrested for any reason after this offence 14 years ago!

I hope someone can shed some light on this please.

It seems your Partner was charged but found not guilty at court or the case was dismissed. This will show on his record so I would make sure he mentions it and explains what happened. Be truthfull and all should be fine. Lie and you will get caught out.

I really wouldnt worry, we are waiting for our state sponsorship back at moment and in the meantime preparing for our visa. We had to do a police check for my OH as he could not remember exact dates or fine amounts. The agent has said as long as its explained and in the past and not ongoing then it will be fine. Its important to be honest.