New TV Show - Poms In Paradise ITV

calNgary

It is all very well to say that the its the program makers fault that "Shocked" is portrayed in such a bad light but you must remember that they are the ones that signed up for it. She honestly cannot expect people not to comment about her tummy if she runs about in a bikini accentuating it, surely other attire would have been more suitable.

As for the 4x4 racing up the beach 2 abreast honking their horns, I'm pretty sure that the powers that be would not be impressed by such behavior. Beaches in South Africa were closed to 4x4's for the very same thing, I'm sorry but as a 4x4 enthusiast myself I cannot condone driving that will put my chances (one day when I eventually get to OZ) of using the beach at risk.

I feel pretty disappointed in the show, and I'm pretty sure it is why the participants of the show have taken so much Flak. It definitely feels as if the DIAC is paying for it. I for one am pretty sick of seeing a sugar coated version of Australia and fake crisis's that the film makers create, honestly how many times can one take the stereo typical "Johnny" or "Jane" that at age 4 to 16 that wants to go home (not in this show yet but on WDU etc), as well as everyone bawling their eyes out because they are homesick, yes as an expat myself I have had my "Moments" but do we really have to see it on every ozzie migration show! Note to producers: we get it, we are going to get homesick!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to see typical Oz, show me what the places look like. The real cost of living, not the A$ 600 000 houses that I will not be able to afford. How about a show on the education system, walk us through, it first day of school to uni graduation, options like Tafe, unis, colleges etc. Show us Large cities in each state and the landscape. Throw in some of the problems that Australians uniquely face. Otherwise at least give us some documentaries on the culture, history, technology and nature related to OZ.

So only woman who are a size 8 with a wash board 6 pack are only allowed on T.V, dont be so insulting to all us natural woman out there. Perhaps you would like to post a picture of yourself in swim wear on here for us all to comments on. Or are you suggesting the lady go to the beach in the all black Nigella number, that I feel sure she felt forced to wear, Knowing the paps were going to take her photo. And she would have had the piss taken out of her because shes not a size 8.:arghh:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the show the only problem was ..... its was too short.

I enjoyed seeing the family doing their bbq on the beach. It was also good to see the side of missing family , its must be especially hard when elderly parents were so ill. And the lady still managed to try to put a brave face on. They were living the dream !

As for the botonist, again a man able to pursue his dream in oz.

And the lifesaver. It was great when he was telling the kids how lucky they were to live in Oz seems he was well travelled, and was clearly grateful for where life was taking him.

Its ok to see peoples critisisms of a TV program, but some here have been far too personal.

I always find that people who take so much pleasure in slagging others off tend to be the ones with issues of their own, and far from perfect.

• Like 1

your in for a real shock when you get here then, most beaches with 4x4 access are like a bloody highway, you have to cross the beach like a road when going from the dunes to the sea, and nothing you can do or say will change it, its a shame but thats how it is here, speed limits often get ignored, beaches are like streaming highways as the tide drops and every man and his dog heads up them.

Unfortunately it was the same in South Africa until everybody had enough and there were so many complaints that the beaches were closed to 4x4. Which was a shame, just because of some unthoughtful people.

I will tell you what ............... me and the wife were so buzzing at this show, we watched it again last night, how positive it was, showing the fantastic coast line and it even made the bush look inviting that she said ............... we could be there.

Anyone who knows me, knows it is me the Ropey HOFF who is the driving force behind trying to emigrate and the wife is 50/50 but she got a boost watching this show and this lady and her family were the main thing that gave her a buzz, her family is what we mostly connected with, the great house with a pool the outdoor lifestyle, the upbeat positive thoughts and comments from them, made the wife say she is still seriously thinking about it and i would just like a big thanks.

That is how my problems started, the wife now expects a A$ 600 000 on a A$300 000 budget. Boy am I in for some Flak!

So only woman who are a size 8 with a wash board 6 pack are only allowed on T.V, dont be so insulting to all us natural woman out there. Perhaps you would like to post a picture of yourself in swim wear on here for us all to comments on. Or are you suggesting the lady go to the beach in the all black Nigella number, that I feel sure she felt forced to wear, Knowing the paps were going to take her photo. And she would have had the piss taken out of her because shes not a size 8.:arghh:

Talk about Stereotypical, Shirley not everyman thinks that only size 8 blonde blue eyed woman are attractive. My wife is not size 8, blue eyed and blonde and she is the most beautiful woman in the world to me. The problem is that a lot of women think that the media portrays the image of woman that men think is attractive this is not so. If you had to ask blokes honestly what they find attractive you would be very surprised. Actually I find that woman more b*tchy about other womens appearances then men.

As far as I'm concerned she can wear what she likes, hell see doesn't need to wear anything at all if that is what she wants, but she needs to realize that when you show your self in a bikini people are going to comment especially when it is on TV. She opened herself up to the criticism Wrong or Right. I would expect you would have to have very thick skin to appear on TV. Hell you don't see Actors complaining about every bit of negative criticism they get. In the end if you want to run with the big dogs you need to learn to p*ss in the long grass.

As for a Pic of myself on the forum, sorry no can do, I told that Magistrate that I would no longer do that, but I will PM you my address, sent me £10 and a self addressed envelope and I will send you a picture of myself. :biglaugh:

P.S you tell me what to wear!!:biggrin:

Unfortunately it was the same in South Africa until everybody had enough and there were so many complaints that the beaches were closed to 4x4. Which was a shame, just because of some unthoughtful people.

That is how my problems started, the wife now expects a A$ 600 000 on a A$300 000 budget. Boy am I in for some Flak!

Talk about Stereotypical, Shirley not everyman thinks that only size 8 blonde blue eyed woman are attractive. My wife is not size 8, blue eyed and blonde and she is the most beautiful woman in the world to me. The problem is that a lot of women think that the media portrays the image of woman that men think is attractive this is not so. If you had to ask blokes honestly what they find attractive you would be very surprised. Actually I find that woman more b*tchy about other womens appearances then men.

As far as I'm concerned she can wear what she likes, hell see doesn't need to wear anything at all if that is what she wants, but she needs to realize that when you show your self in a bikini people are going to comment especially when it is on TV. She opened herself up to the criticism Wrong or Right. I would expect you would have to have very thick skin to appear on TV. Hell you don't see Actors complaining about every bit of negative criticism they get. In the end if you want to run with the big dogs you need to learn to p*ss in the long grass.

As for a Pic of myself on the forum, sorry no can do, I told that Magistrate that I would no longer do that, but I will PM you my address, sent me £10 and a self addressed envelope and I will send you a picture of myself. :biglaugh:

P.S you tell me what to wear!!:biggrin:

So when your beautiful ( not a size 8 ) wife goes to the beach in a bikini, do you say ' 'Surely other attire would have been more suitable?' Yes people in the public eye need thick skin, but that doesnt mean those people who hide behind these forums can say what they like. Your comments just reinforce the negative stereotype. Thanks for the offer of the photo but the mental picture, I have of you will be sufficient.

Guest pinksuedeshoes
What a really nice post. I would love to meet you all. You all sound like proper down to earth people. :yes:

Jill

xxx

Anytime you want to join us, Jill, anytime!

Send me a message with your details if you want and we can arrange to meet up. You guys are the same age as me and my husband and we have lots of teens and younger kids in our social circle.

I am not a pro sunbather (although I could do with taking it up for a few months lol) as the teaching gets in the way but we are always up to something fun at weekends xxx

Guest Guest 47403

I have just got the missus to come on to PIO for the first time and read this thread, then sat her down to watch poms in paradise which we sky + last night, we class ourselves as working class and after the comments made earlier in this thread there are a few people that really need to hang there heads in shame!

Re. the whole issue of struggling to pay the mortgage in the UK, then renting a fancy place in Australia, I think that's par for the course. Personally, although not struggling to pay the mortgage, we do face big losses when we come to sell, which is depressing but it is what it is. I actually look forward to being mortgage-free and being able to rent a house we couldn't afford to buy, and having the flexibility to move after a year or so if we wish. If incomes go up as expected we could be really living a great life, maybe have a pool and so on. We don't even bother much with the garden here as the weather is so awful!

I was initially disgusted at the sight of cars speeding along the beach, beeping horns, looking for a quiet spot - the irony. However this thread has been useful in shedding a different light, I had no idea about the 4x4 beaches - fair enough, just something we would avoid!

I have just got the missus to come on to PIO for the first time and read this thread, then sat her down to watch poms in paradise which we sky + last night, we class ourselves as working class and after the comments made earlier in this thread there are a few people that really need to hang there heads in shame!

I totally agree with everything you have said.

The comments that were made earlier in the thread were spiteful.

I agree with some other posters that if you sign up for something like this then your leaving yourself wide open for criticism.

But! think it if you must but don't broadcast it on a forum where it will be seen and cause hurt to those involved.

That is just plain nasty. Also not just the people that said the comments but the people that jumped on the bandwagon and giving 'thanks' to derogatory comments. Not nice either.

Well that was my tuppence worth.

Just because SHOCKED has made herself a public entity does not mean that people have the right to abuse them verbally by any means .... on forums - face to face - publicly or any other ... Its opinions like this that frankly I am sick of.. " they say " you set your self up for it when you are in the public eye... " What utter tripe !!!! ..Basically what this means is ... I am at will to be nasty - abusive - vent my anger on someone who doesnt directly affect me...

Wake up !!!!! realise that by your very words and actions you can mame - hurt and seriously cause/inflict pain on to a person you do not truly know or understand.

I am done

I said the swimmer & conservationist guys made up for them.... I always see the positives even in the negatives... Such as chavs said they give themselves a yr...you surely wouldn't make the move to the otherside of the world giving the costs etc... The positive is... Maybe they are on business/temp visa - by the time we land in Oz they might be back in uk lol!!!

I thought it was hilarious, I thought the athletic guy was Ok until he said that the was living the dream while all his mates had got married and had families....obviously having a wife and family is a nightmare....! where do they get these people lol.

Maybe they had a £400,000 Mortgage to pay in the uk and sold their property with good profit??? they did both have their own company etc etc..

they were obviously renting as they were just seeing how they felt after a year.....lots of Brits rent a huge house when they first arrive to show their family back home they are living the dream.....shame

I thought it was hilarious, I thought the athletic guy was Ok until he said that the was living the dream while all his mates had got married and had families....obviously having a wife and family is a nightmare....! where do they get these people lol.

That's not uncommon to say that sort of thing. He is living his dream and will probably settle down when he is ready, which isn't now or then. Many people do dream about moving elsewhere but never do so, so yeah, he is living the dream of many. As are the others in the show.

I didn't 'settle down' and marry till I was 36 (met my future hubby at 32). I was living my life, following my dream through all my 20's and most of my friends stayed in my hometown or somewhere else in the UK and pretty much all of them were married, many with children (and some divorced) by the end of their 20's. I had certainly never wanted that for myself at that point and so went off and lived overseas, travelled and so on. Being married with kids was certainly never my dream in my 20's and even my early 30's but many people then do have a change when they meet someone or feel the timing is right or whatever it is.

But I certainly lived my life and viewed the whole getting married thing with a shudder. Does that make me a bad person or less worthy? I don't think so. I'd rather have done that than compromised myself and what I wanted to do while I had the chance before becoming responsible for someone else as well as myself. Now I am 40, content having done many of the things I wanted to do, experienced lots and happy with my life. I've not got any lingering 'what if's' in terms of the things I wanted to do as I went and did them. Once I had I finally felt ready when I did meet hubby and married. I feel happy I did things the right way for me and I am sure the guy in the show is doing what is right for him. Same as the others who took part.

So because he doesn't want to retire from his sport & have a family yet he has something wrong with him?

Try to be a bit more open minded please.

they were obviously renting as they were just seeing how they felt after a year.....lots of Brits rent a huge house when they first arrive to show their family back home they are living the dream.....shame

Do You class that as a big house then ? because i don't, the reason it may be expensive to rent that place on the water front is because its on Strady Island! who cares what size house they have as long as they are happy :wink:

Guest Shocked

Hi All, this is shocked's other half,

let me try a put the record straight, for those that have made oppions about us from a 30 min show

first the house we rent is not massive its middle of the road, the reason for renting this house in the first place was the fact it was avalible when we arrived & more inporatantly it is in the catchment area for the school that we enrolled our daugther in aprox 5mins from school, yes the bonus of waterfront & pool help !! but in both cases the gold coast is built on a massive river system, man made lakes & cannals so water front homes are more common than u think & pools are two a penny here !! again the rent is middle of the road its not the cheapest & its not the most exspensive by far !! as for the post about a croc eating the mrs well we dont get crocs this far south in QLD bull shark maybe but no crocs !! the beach driving was filmed on north straddie which is aprox 45mins drive north of here + 50min ferry crossing then another 15 min drive to the beach through bush so unless you like walking alot i suggest u drive ! and well done to itv with the editing i was there and there was no helicopter flying low filming us !!! yes we have a permit to drive on this beach yes we were well within the 60kmp speed limit set for this beach and more often than not well under it because if u hit a run off at 60kmp u will probably crash a die, as has happened not so long ago on frasser island ! oh and QLD police service do speed trap it ! it helps with there xmass fund !!!!

will itv show the mundane stuff like getting up at 430am to go to work, they filmed it !!! i dont know i can only tell u that the two camera men were nice guys but this program is being edited in london by people who did not meet us & have not been here ! we did it for our reason that we both have parents that will never make it here, so they may just see a little bit more of us than a web chat or photo,

i see from most posts its not real its made up its tv its not like that etc !! well there is not one person has asked is it like that, whats it like or any question relatting to liveing the dream / emigrateing or working, finding work, or just living, your just judgeing us and others on a 30min tv show.

i think i will do a bit of judgeing now based on your posts ! firstly i think most of you should do some more research on Oz !!!! its not for everyone, and my finnal bit of advise make FRIENDS cos when u are a long way from your old home its the friends that will get u through the bad days

Do You class that as a big house then ? because i don't, the reason it may be expensive to rent that place on the water front is because its on Strady Island! who cares what size house they have as long as they are happy :wink:

It's in Runaway Bay, not Stradbroke. That's where they were driving their cars on the beach. Also, it isn't expensive. Very affordable on two incomes.

Finally watched this last night and have to say I don't know why some of you were so critical. The participants all seem genuine and clearly it was heavily edited so much a lot of the "tongue in cheek" comments lost their context.

I hope to see more but only wish they'd made it an hour long to get some more background on each participant and the areas they have chosen to live.

Hopefully we can make our new lives out there as fulfilling as these guys have.................

The house isn't on Straddie - they live in Runaway Bay. All houses are expensive to rent here - I think everyone needs to do their research before leaving the UK. The size of the house is relatively typical of an Australian one - any smaller and you are living in a unit.

An example of rent:- in the UK we rent a three bedroomed detached house, large garden overlooking acres of fields...a pretty large house. Rent = 650GBP per calendar month. The equivalent for rental on the Gold Coast is $500 per week.

I will let you guys do your maths.

Guest hoorsur

It was also filmed a few months ago on the Sunshine Coast too, I was there when they were filming my mate. He's the shark diver at Underwater World up here in Mooloolaba.

The fella that filmed it is a nice chap.

Ok guys we have tidyed up the last few pages of this thread ,, lets play nice

Cal x

Cal I dont understand why some people who read this thread get bitter about the show, shame on them.

Guest siamsusie
Cal I dont understand why some people who read this thread get bitter about the show, shame on them.

Thats all past tense now Proview:biggrin:!

Susie x

Hi All, this is shocked's other half,

let me try a put the record straight, for those that have made oppions about us from a 30 min show

first the house we rent is not massive its middle of the road, the reason for renting this house in the first place was the fact it was avalible when we arrived & more inporatantly it is in the catchment area for the school that we enrolled our daugther in aprox 5mins from school, yes the bonus of waterfront & pool help !! but in both cases the gold coast is built on a massive river system, man made lakes & cannals so water front homes are more common than u think & pools are two a penny here !! again the rent is middle of the road its not the cheapest & its not the most exspensive by far !! as for the post about a croc eating the mrs well we dont get crocs this far south in QLD bull shark maybe but no crocs !! the beach driving was filmed on north straddie which is aprox 45mins drive north of here + 50min ferry crossing then another 15 min drive to the beach through bush so unless you like walking alot i suggest u drive ! and well done to itv with the editing i was there and there was no helicopter flying low filming us !!! yes we have a permit to drive on this beach yes we were well within the 60kmp speed limit set for this beach and more often than not well under it because if u hit a run off at 60kmp u will probably crash a die, as has happened not so long ago on frasser island ! oh and QLD police service do speed trap it ! it helps with there xmass fund !!!!

will itv show the mundane stuff like getting up at 430am to go to work, they filmed it !!! i dont know i can only tell u that the two camera men were nice guys but this program is being edited in london by people who did not meet us & have not been here ! we did it for our reason that we both have parents that will never make it here, so they may just see a little bit more of us than a web chat or photo,

i see from most posts its not real its made up its tv its not like that etc !! well there is not one person has asked is it like that, whats it like or any question relatting to liveing the dream / emigrateing or working, finding work, or just living, your just judgeing us and others on a 30min tv show.

i think i will do a bit of judgeing now based on your posts ! firstly i think most of you should do some more research on Oz !!!! its not for everyone, and my finnal bit of advise make FRIENDS cos when u are a long way from your old home its the friends that will get u through the bad days

Good on ya! mate take no notice from these people, end of day, its your life, as long as you are happy who cares, may be its Jealous people??? who knows.