Is it me or does my situation sound complicated????

BestyBlue

Hi everyone,

So, I should be studying for my end of year exams right now, but as per usual I just can't get our potential move to Australia out of my head.

I still have another 2 years until I graduate, but I want to be prepared and ready to get my visa applied for at the earliest opportunity. Is there anything I can do in advance of my graduation to speed things up? Btw, I'll need my degree in order to successfully apply for my visa....

Also, something else thats been bothering me slightly is my husbands age. He has just turned 50 and works as a wastewater planning engineer, however doesn't have a degree, just a hell of a lot of knowledge.

As well, my step son is wishing to come out with us but will have just turned 18 when I graduate, but has decided to stay in education in order to try and get on our visa.

Then there's the dog, do we or don't we bring her??? Such a hard decision.......

The only simple thing that I can see with our move will be our 5 year old daughter who is very excited and laid back about the whole thing.

So reading my situation, do you think our visa will be a complicated one and which type of visa do you think would probably be our best bet? My job role as a Podiatrist is on the shortage list for the whole of Australia and fingers crossed that will still be the case in a few years.

I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts and in the mean time I best get revising for my exams or I won't be going anyware....:wideeyed:

Your situation strikes me as something that is a long way in the future, rather than complicated. I think you are saying that you are planning to emmigrate on the strength of you being a podiatrist? Is this something you are working as now, but you need to get your degree to pass skills assessment?

Regarding the rest of your family, as you have mentioned your son would need to stay in full time education until you get your visas at least. Your husband will be a dependent on your visa, he therefore won't need a degree.

Many people bring their dogs and most come out the other side completely unscathed by the experience.

You would be looking at a 175 or 176 visa.

Good luck.

Thanks Pumpkin,

I'm currently training to be a podiatrist, so no not doing it at the moment. But yeah, I'll need my degree in order to pass the skills assessment.

That's good news about my husband. Will he still be able to work if he comes as a dependant?

Luckily my step son is really set on coming out with us and has said that he will re-enroll on another course at college once his one that he's due to start in September is completed.

I know it seems a long way off, but if the next 2 years go at the same rate this years gone then I suspect I'll need to be organised.

Thanks for your response. :)

That's not a problem, as I plan on getting my visa, validating it and then save for a bit. However, we had two students gain visa's and employment straight after graduation in melbourne last year without experience. I just worry that if I leave it too long, then I won't get my step son on the visa.

You havent made it clear whether you are pursuing your degree in Australia or outside Australia.

If your degree is outside Australia, you cannot usually apply for the 17X class of skilled visas unless you have at least 3 years of work experience in the field you are nominating...

If you are studying for a degree which is relevant to your nominated discipline within Australia, and study for at least 4 semesters within Oz, then you can apply for the 88X class of visas without any experience.

That makes things a bit clearer...the 88X class of visas is irrelevant to you because they are on-shore (lodged from within AU)

The 457 is an employer-sponsored visa...For that you'll have to secure employment first, and the employer has to initiate the visa...

The 175 visa is independent, and 176 is state-sponsored.

To apply for a 175, your occupation and qualifications must be relevant to an occupation on the SOL List (Schedule 3). Generally you also need 3-4 years of work experience, and after July 2011 you'll also need IELTS.

To apply for a 176, you have to get sponsorship from a state/territory government. Each state government has a list of occupations they can sponsor, and your occupation needs to be on the nomination list of the state you choose. This also needs 3-4 years of experience usually.

You still have a fair way to go...immigration rules can (and will) change over time, so the best suggestion for you would probably be to look at the options available after you graduate...

Thanks Pumpkin,

I'm currently training to be a podiatrist, so no not doing it at the moment. But yeah, I'll need my degree in order to pass the skills assessment.

That's good news about my husband. Will he still be able to work if he comes as a dependant?

Luckily my step son is really set on coming out with us and has said that he will re-enroll on another course at college once his one that he's due to start in September is completed.

I know it seems a long way off, but if the next 2 years go at the same rate this years gone then I suspect I'll need to be organised.

Thanks for your response. :)

OK, well I think this migration could be more than two years away then. As people have said you will need work experience to emmigrate, qualifications are not enough.

For the visa application you would need 12 out of the last 24 months recent work experience, but you may need more than this to pass a skills assessment or to get a state sponsorship or enough points should you be short.

Have you looked into skills assessment and a points test to see where you would be in a couple of years, and then again in say four years.

This throws up an issue of your step son having to stay in education for a little longer than maybe you / he was thinking of.

Secondary applicants on the 175 or 176 visa will have the same right to work as the main applicant once the visa is granted.

Right, I've just had a look at the new points system and I see what you're saying about experience now. So, looking at it as long as I gain 3 years experience I will have the relavent points required. Phew! Just need to let my step son know that our thoughts on him staying in education until the visa comes through, may no longer be the best way forward........ Time for a re-think. At least I have time now I suppose!

I'm pleased I asked the question, even though by the sounds of it I won't be coming over as quick as I was hoping. Time to put a positive spin on it and get 3 more years worth of saving :eek:

Thanks everyone, this has allowed my to clear my head a little, which means I can't put off my revision any longer..........:dull:

This is going to be a long old journey.