ahpra help needed for midwife please

yumimumi

we currently have a case officer. applied on a 175 (on my fellas job - boilermaker)

i am a registered midwife, with 2 yr experience

hoping to be in oz by the end of the year. am just looking at ahpra paperwork. i know i have to register with AHPRA to be able to practice as a midwife in oz. we are wanting to go to either NSW or Perth.

1. i initially qualified as a midwife in october 08, but there were no jobs so i worked within mental health as a care assistant for a year.

2. i have worked as a registered midwife since july 2009

3. i have a letter from my hr department detailing my post, hours and dates of employment. is this correct for what i need.

4. is it just ahpra that i need to apply to. i dont need to do the skills assessment as we are going on my fellas job.

5. ahpra want a certified copy of all academic qualifications. eg. academic transcript. what does this mean. can i just send them my certificate from hull university stating my award. does it need certifying by a solicitor

6. ahpra want my curriculum vitae detailing my full practice history and any clinical or procedural skills undertaken. signed and dated by my employer. can someone help me with this bit please, what shall i put, how much detail do they want and who can sign and date this for me, my manager dosent know im applying and i dont want her to know.

7. what evidence do they want to show i was taught and assessed in english

sorry this post is soooo long, but am starting to get really stressed out with all of this.

many thanks nicola

I'm not a midwife, so I can't advise on specifics.

Certified copy means that a solicitor or other professional has to see the original document and sign the copy as being identical. From your post it sounds as though the AHPRA require this for all documents that they are sent.

The University of Hull can provide you with an academic transcript, and the details of how to obtain one are here. There's a £10 fee associated with this.

I would have thought that studying for a degree in the UK would have been sufficient proof that teaching was in English.

If you want to be anal (and sometimes it's worth doing so with bureaucrats), then you could request that the academic office slips a note in with your transcript saying that teaching was in English. Otherwise ask your tutor for a statement saying that was the case.

I'd be inclined to keep the CV as short as possible, but make sure that you exhaustively summarise all your experience and skills. You should be able to fit it onto one or two sides of A4.

I can't advise of the politics of dealing with your manager, but it might be worth waiting until closer to the time before approaching your employer. At some point you're going to have to tell people you're going, so you could always delay until then.

In any case, no visa has been granted yet, so you could probably hold off with registration for the time being.

I would check on APHRAs website regarding the specifics, I have got APHRA registration as a midwife, but never actually applied through them as it was only recently changed to APHRA in June last year. When I applied it was the QNC (Queensland nursing council, or others for each state until the merging of the boards last year)

There are a lot of nursing threads if you search for them on poms in oz, british expats etc which you may find useful.

As far as I know for the English competency you need to sit an english exam or IELTS, there has been uproar over this and was looked into but like I say, as far as I know this is still ongoing. See here: http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Overseas-Practitioners.aspx

My interpretation of all this and going through the various links is that English nurses/midwives still need an IELTS- :-( you will find plenty of IELTS threads on here too....

I don't know about the skills assessment part, as on a temporary visa I didn't need one. I always thought going on a PR visa you needed this, someone else may be able to enlighten you...

You will need a transcript of your training from your university. Enquire there. Some unis will charge you for this, though mine didn't.

Certified copies are colour copies of whatever documents aphra require, certified by a justice of the peace, notary public type person. (again double check the specifics with aphra) the link is here:

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Certifying-Documents.aspx

They will need to write on each copy something like "I certify this to be a true likeness of the original" sign, write name, occupation, date and sometimes address and phone number. This is on each copy, a lengthy process (due to the number of documents, my transcript alone was 8 pages long) and thus a lot of solicitors for example will charge sometimes as much as £5 a page. It helps if you know somebody, else you will need to shop around.

I believe you wil need a statement from your employer on letter headed paper detailing your role and experience. When I applied it said it had to be signed by a registered nurse, so I was able to do this without my manager knowing as got a colleague to do it, but they may specifically ask for your manager.

You will also need a verification from the NMC who will directly send this to APHRA to proof your registration in the UK. See here:

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Registration/Planning-to-work-outside-the-UK/Planning-to-work-outside-of-Europe/

There is quite a lot to it, and even then APHRA are currently having some teething problems getting the applications processed. Because of the sheer amount of time it is taking since the merging of the state nursing boards last year, and the number of complaints they have had, I believe there is going to be an enquiry soon. (or so I was told by my HR employment dept) I think the current processing time is around 6-8 months, which is shocking.

Good luck with it all, it can be quite daunting to first start looking into it, but loads of people are doing it and you will be fine once you get stuck into it!

thanks for your replies. i appreciate it. i have searched my house from top to bottom and have found the following. am now wondering if they will be okay to submit to aphra.

1. a letter from my secondary school just stating my 1990 GCSE results

2. traenscript of academic record from hull university. (only 1 page) cant remember if there was any more with it.

3. my uni of hull degree certificate

4. certificates from college for my a levels.

cheers nicola

My academic transcripts (I have a couple of degrees) listed the courses studied each year and the mark received. I'd check to see whether or not these are covered in what you've found, but they can fit onto a single page of A4.

I don't know if you'll need to send your A-Level and GCSE results, but it won't hurt. Besides, the cost of a couple of photocopies, certifying and additional postage is probably a lot less than the hassle if it turns out that the APHRA does need them.

Go through the checklist on aphra, but I don't think you need your gcses or a levels. You will need everything before you can submit to aphra, so the best starting place is probably IELTS and or finding out if you need skills assessment. From my own transcript I was specifically asked for details of clinical hours, deliveries, sick/absence time, clinical activities. It also required the modules and credits. If they still require these details I will be very surprised if your transcript is just one page. Like I say mine was at least 5. Though it depends on when you did your training I guess.

• 1 year later...
Guest ladyflo

TO THE ORIGINAL MIDWIFE WHO POSTED THIS

how did you get on with your academic transcript? I too studied at the UNiversity of Hull and AHPRA are saying that my academic transcript does not have enough information on it but hull uni are being particularly difficult in offering me an alternative. I wondered what your academic transcript involved? which office did you register with i am registering with Brisbane and really panicking now as i need this to be sorted before January 1st!!

if anyone would be so kind as to email me flobascombe@gmail.com a copy of their academic transcripts that were accepted by AHPRA so that I can show an example to the university of hull for them to do for me I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I literally had to jump through hoops. Ahpra decided my transcript was not detailed enough and wouldnt accept it. I therefore had to contact Hull Uni and get them to send another. it cost me 25 pound for another to be done. It had to include all my placement hours for the full 3 years. and academic hours. basically all subjects i had studied whilst there. the amount of hours i had done there in detail. the placements have to be detailed too. I also had my old lecturers post me out the module guides. I will dig my things out this weekend and try and scan them across to you. I applied to Ahpra office at Sydney but they were bloody useless. Mine took 7 months to get sorted and it was a right pain, dont worry hun, ill help u as much as i can. nicola x