Which part of Australia would suit us?

Jems30

Hubby wants us to consider emigrating to Perth, but has also mentioned Queensland or Adelaide.

We plan on a visit but would like to ask what part would others advise/recommend?

I am 31, hubby 34, children are 8, 7 & 5. We are quite an out going family, we enjoy days out, eating out, the beach, animals, shopping, good food.... we do nt want to live anywhere too remote, we all fancy somewhere coastal. The weather is an issue, anywhere too humid would be a problem I think as I am sure the children would find it too much, maybe they'd adjust. I won't want anywhere that gets too cold in the winter, but I guess winter there is nothing in comparison to the UK, but nice warm weather all year would be a bonus. So somewhere ideal for families and nice weather.

Any ideas?:wink:

I don't mind it being seasonal, but as long as the seasons aren't like here. Maybe I am expecting too much.

More importantly I just want the best area for my family.

Adelaide is fairly seasonal so that rules that out???tbh were going to SA because it is seasonal lol,each to their own,good luck anyway

I don't mind it being seasonal, but as long as the seasons aren't like here. Maybe I am expecting too much.

More importantly I just want the best area for my family.

Well Adelaide is quietish,most on here say very family orientated(some say boring lol!),we liked it anyway,i would google stats on aussie climates if i was you jems? its probs not allways 100% but gives a god idea,we chose SA because it has low crime rates,cheaper housing,the climate,good job ops,we were there april may 09 (nearly winter)and it wasnt anywhere near our winters,summer IS hot tho,i'd try and google all the things that are important to you,like i say not 100% but will give you an idea,all the best:wink:

Guest NeilEB
Hubby wants us to consider emigrating to Perth, but has also mentioned Queensland or Adelaide.

We plan on a visit but would like to ask what part would others advise/recommend?

I am 31, hubby 34, children are 8, 7 & 5. We are quite an out going family, we enjoy days out, eating out, the beach, animals, shopping, good food.... we do nt want to live anywhere too remote, we all fancy somewhere coastal. The weather is an issue, anywhere too humid would be a problem I think as I am sure the children would find it too much, maybe they'd adjust. I won't want anywhere that gets too cold in the winter, but I guess winter there is nothing in comparison to the UK, but nice warm weather all year would be a bonus. So somewhere ideal for families and nice weather.

Any ideas?:wink:

Think Perth ticks most of these?

Depending of course what you mean by too remote - it's the most isolated major city in the world. Having said that it is still a city, so it's not like you'll be in a house with no-one around you for miles.

I believe Perth is quite a dry heat, although it can get very hot, and never gets too cold in the winter.

Someone coastal is pretty easy in Australia!

qlnd is out if you dont like humidity and if you can find some where with nice warm weather all year round let me know !!lol

In Brisbane every month of the year has an average max between 20c and 29.9c. Sometimes too humid in summer but the rest of the year makes up for it for many. We have cold winter nights but totally skip the wet, windy, cold winter that other states get and instead have a dry, warm, non humid beautiful days in our summer number # 2 :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mcginlm72

I live in NSW on the Central Coast in a small town called Wamberal about an hour north of Sydney and to be honest I would say it is perfect for families it is quiet near the beach near tonnes of beaches actually with plenty to do. If you need to live in the city for work I would recommend Sydney it is nice too and there is plenty to keep you occupied with beaches too. The weather here on the coast is good and same in Sydney as we go there a lot. The only problem I think in Australia is that they don't really tend to make houses with winter in mind it can get cold here not cold as compared to back home but because a lot of the houses here do not have central heating (I personally have yet to come across any house with central heating!) or double glazing or even insulation it can make weather that isn't really cold seem a lot colder. I would seriously look into the Central Coast or Sydney I think to be honest it would tick far more boxes than Perth but that is just my opinion. Good Luck

Guest chris955

Every area will have it's disadvantages, Perth for many is just too isolated. Queensland can be very humid indeed and can be very uncomfortable although Brisbane isn't too bad in that respect but obviously much more humid than you are used to. Winters are mildish in Brisbane but as has been said because the houses are built for the cold they often feel much colder than it actually is. Adelaide gets very hot in the summer and can be cold in the winter, I like Adelaide myself.

• 1 month later...
Guest liv3012

Hi there just wondered how far along the process are you now? We are in the same position as you, me and my hubby and 3 kids ours are 2, 3 and 10 though! Have you found somewhere yet we are thinking Perth?

Nice to meet another family thinking same as us! :)

Liv

Guest KateP

Am so glad you've asked this question!

Currently live in Ireland and are considering moving to Australia but haven't a clue where to start! Will be keeping an eye on this! :biggrin:

I think Perth is quote good for families - beware the area you move to though, apparently shops/restaurants close earlier than you would expect (well, when I was on holiday there anyway). This is why I think its better for families, not so much for couples - I think you'd have to move to an expensive area like Subiaco or Cottosloe.

We stayed in Quinns Rocks/Burns Beach and Clarkson and the scenery was wonderful. And it gets very hot in the summer (Nov-Jan) and there are a lot of flies! :(

Perth city centre is also great, the park was wonderful, and everyone was very friendly, always willing to help if you were lost etc. It has its bad and good areas like all cities do, so do some research into the areas before you buy/rent etc.

havent been anywhere else, so i cant say for the others - everyone ive asked from Oz here in the UK, says Brisbane is the best??

havent been anywhere else, so i cant say for the others - everyone ive asked from Oz here in the UK, says Brisbane is the best??

I don't think there is any overall best place - comes down to the best fit for each person/family also taking into account the stage in life they are at.

Guest dt1234565

Great post!

My husband is quite determined about Perth but I worry it may get TOO hot! Also where to live in Perth as we like a resturant and wine bar or two!

I like Sydney but its out of our price range I think, so was considering brisbane and the coastline around there.

Am not sure what part of Australia would find my husband the most work either, he is a plumber/gas fitter.

Its not an easy task by any means!

Guest DaneD
Great post!

My husband is quite determined about Perth but I worry it may get TOO hot! Also where to live in Perth as we like a resturant and wine bar or two!

I like Sydney but its out of our price range I think, so was considering brisbane and the coastline around there.

Am not sure what part of Australia would find my husband the most work either, he is a plumber/gas fitter.

Its not an easy task by any means!

check out melbourne; its the best city in oz......:cool: