Supermarkets in Oz, is it lack of competition?

Guest Mallam

Guest guest36762
If you are prepared to buy the 'Home Brand' items at the supermarkets you can save a lot of money.

yeah but they're often terrible!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

That's because everyone in the UK is so selfish and couldn't care less about anyone else :wink: to be honest I can't see any evidence of the average man/woman in the street kicking up a fuss about prices going down. The only thing I saw was that farmers were complaining that it would further cut their profit which is tiny as it is and the supermarkets came out and said that they would absorb the difference.

I would imagine everyone wants to pay as little as they can for their milk, bread, eggs or whatever.

I think in the UK that no-one would give a toss as long as things were as cheap as they could possibly be. I don't know whether that's good or bad but found it strange here that when things were made cheaper the supermarkets had to come out and defend their reasoning.

Guest chris955

You do have to be very selective about which home brand items you buy, some really are very ordinary.

yeah but they're often terrible!

You do have to be very selective about which home brand items you buy, some really are very ordinary.

Yes - but some are exactly the same as the leading brands but in a different box - you are right - trial and error is the key. Maybe someone should start up a quality home brand thread and we can learn from each other?

Pity you don't get waitrose in Oz, as waitrose homebrand are affordable and very good quality - better than some other supermarkets premium brands.

Guest guest36762

I have to admit I've gone right off supermarket shopping, which is a shame cos I enjoy it and my wife is rubbish at it! If I get the chance and the time I go to the fruit/veg shop first, then Aldi, then the butchers. It takes hours. I miss the good old days of pottering around Waitrose....

Guest Mallam
My problem with supermarket trolleys they are the dirtiest piece of equipment around and we put food in them. Then we get to the check out and some of us insist that this is not put with that etc. I find it highly amusing as it would really be better if they washed out the trolley first. Babes with snotty noses, larger children with scruffy feet and shoes all get into our food trolleys. I have a theory if you want a cold get a trolley and you are sure to catch it.:laugh: Bet they would have more bugs than the public toilet seat like our steering wheels. :laugh: I think about this stuff now as when my son was doing science at uni they used to take swabs of stuff and he used to tell me about it. The ham in the deli was one of the things he told me and I never buy it now, always buy packaged.

Dirty trolleys :eek: how can they get away with that in Oz.?

Guest guest36762
Interesting point, how can you tell ?

Well I've never seen you post anything about anywhere else:wink:

Guest peacock
Well I've never seen you post anything about anywhere else:wink:

Have you checked out all 855, did you spot any spelling mistakes :daydreaming:

Guest Guest37175
I have to admit I've gone right off supermarket shopping, which is a shame cos I enjoy it and my wife is rubbish at it! If I get the chance and the time I go to the fruit/veg shop first, then Aldi, then the butchers. It takes hours. I miss the good old days of pottering around Waitrose....

Ah Waitrose Chicken Makhani with Mushroom Rice and Bombay Aloo....happy days!

I loathe both Coles and Woolies - overpriced, limited ranges and often (but not always) shabby looking fruit and veg.

I've really got into Aldi these days. Ok, it's range is limited but the quality's generally very good and it's significantly cheaper than the big two. The markets in melbourne are very good for fruit and veg and meat and it's a more sociable experience too, having a chat with the market-traders and occasionally scoring a freebie as a result of my smooth British charm :wink:

Guest Guest37175
poverty_homeless_french_man_shopping_trolley.jpg This may answer your question

Is that you outside Flight Centre waiting to buy your ticket home?

Guest Guest37175
Have you checked out all 855, did you spot any spelling mistakes :daydreaming:

I have, and I can happily confirm your ability to rubbish the UK in each and every one of them, using the most perfect spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Guest peacock
I have, and I can happily confirm your ability to rubbish the UK in each and every one of them, using the most perfect spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Thankyou for being so thorough, u should get out more though :biglaugh::laugh:

Guest peacock
Is that you outside Flight Centre waiting to buy your ticket home?

Are you suggesting that is the UK then or Oz, and where is home :cute:

Are you suggesting that is the UK then or Oz, and where is home :cute:

Guys please - this is a thread on shopping - not trolley wars at 100 paces. Send PM's to each other if you want to do this. Please don't hijack the thread.

Archived