Is life in Australia what you thought it would be?

Bushwhacker

That was a post that I would agree with. I wish I came to Australia in 1994 when I was single & had no commitements when I was 24, but now I am 41 with 3 children & a "wife" it would be very hard for me to stay here (I have come here for five weeks on my own). (long story) I could definatly adapt to the oz lifestyle if I was given the chance.

I think if your circumstances are right go for it.

Good luck

cobbler

I moved here about 4 years ago. Came from London to Sydney with my OH (she's Australian). For the first two years it was effortless and fun. Felt like I was on holiday every day, even though I had a full time job. When I came over unemployment was really really low yet there was a wealth of jobs to chose from, so I landed a really well paying job in Sydney - which helped :-)

For the first couple of years I can recall being on the bus from work back to Balmain (where I live) everyday and seeing the Sydney skyline at dusk and twilight, the bluey green water, beautiful girls, smiling faces, the old Victorian architecture in Balmain village and thinking that it doesn't get much easier than this. Scuba diving at the weekends, BBQs galore, perfect Winter weather, Great summers (though far too hot at times for my liking, but the air conditioning is wonderful) 10 minutes on a bus to work, easy job etc etc

Unfortunately that shiny veneer has rubbed off quite a bit since then. The more I was exposed to the Australian way of life, the more aspects of it really started to irk me. The nanny state mentality, the shoddy political options (like that's resolved anywhere else though), the lack of any real true new friends (I have loads of acquaintances, loads of beer mates, but strangely very very few real friends who I could count on), the isolation from family, the simply appalling media and blame culture, the numerous price shafting Australia's get, the ludicrous house market (buy and rent), the apathetic attitude to everything, TV adverts, the lack of interesting quick break holidays (outside Aus & NZ) unless you like going to tropical islands again and again.

It simply becomes a balancing act of taking the good and the bad and focusing on the good stuff, while managing the bad.

I honestly think I'm at the stage where the scales are probably now tipping against Australia. Whether that be simply because I need a change in Job/Flat/Something I'm not sure.

All I know is that the little, seemingly minor things are really starting to grate more and more. Just more straws on the camels back.

With that in mind, me and the OH are in discussions about what to do and where to go. I suspect that we will either end up back in UK or Canada. Wherever we end up I am worldly enough to know that there are good and bad points to everywhere and it comes down to prioritisation, focus and management. I think a lot of people seem to put all their eggs in one basket with regards to moving to Australia, with the assumption that its a utopian paradise. I read posts from people who putting so much faith into it without even having visited it yet.

It will be for some, but it wont be for others.

I'm blessed to have the opportunity to come back when I like, and I am grateful for that, but at this stage in my life, having experienced what's on offer for the last 4 years, I really feel like I need an invigorating change, and a move within Australia just wouldn't deliver what I need. In fact, from an income and job position point of view, my options are really restricted to either Sydney or Melbourne. For such a big country it feels very claustrophobic at times.

Guest chris955

Great post and sums it up for us totally. For the first 5 or 6 years here in Brisbane it was great but now all the things we cant have or do are coming to the fore. I use a car analogy and say that I am a huge Aston Martin fan but here I can have a Ford, it will still get me from A to B but it really isn't the same.

We also havent been able to find friends like the ones we have in the UK, friends that would really go out of their way to do anything for us.

I know many many people have found the life they really want here but that doesn't mean it will suit everyone forever.

I moved here about 4 years ago. Came from London to Sydney with my OH (she's Australian). For the first two years it was effortless and fun. Felt like I was on holiday every day, even though I had a full time job. When I came over unemployment was really really low yet there was a wealth of jobs to chose from, so I landed a really well paying job in Sydney - which helped :-)

For the first couple of years I can recall being on the bus from work back to Balmain (where I live) everyday and seeing the Sydney skyline at dusk and twilight, the bluey green water, beautiful girls, smiling faces, the old Victorian architecture in Balmain village and thinking that it doesn't get much easier than this. Scuba diving at the weekends, BBQs galore, perfect Winter weather, Great summers (though far too hot at times for my liking, but the air conditioning is wonderful) 10 minutes on a bus to work, easy job etc etc

Unfortunately that shiny veneer has rubbed off quite a bit since then. The more I was exposed to the Australian way of life, the more aspects of it really started to irk me. The nanny state mentality, the shoddy political options (like that's resolved anywhere else though), the lack of any real true new friends (I have loads of acquaintances, loads of beer mates, but strangely very very few real friends who I could count on), the isolation from family, the simply appalling media and blame culture, the numerous price shafting Australia's get, the ludicrous house market (buy and rent), the apathetic attitude to everything, TV adverts, the lack of interesting quick break holidays (outside Aus & NZ) unless you like going to tropical islands again and again.

It simply becomes a balancing act of taking the good and the bad and focusing on the good stuff, while managing the bad.

I honestly think I'm at the stage where the scales are probably now tipping against Australia. Whether that be simply because I need a change in Job/Flat/Something I'm not sure.

All I know is that the little, seemingly minor things are really starting to grate more and more. Just more straws on the camels back.

With that in mind, me and the OH are in discussions about what to do and where to go. I suspect that we will either end up back in UK or Canada. Wherever we end up I am worldly enough to know that there are good and bad points to everywhere and it comes down to prioritisation, focus and management. I think a lot of people seem to put all their eggs in one basket with regards to moving to Australia, with the assumption that its a utopian paradise. I read posts from people who putting so much faith into it without even having visited it yet.

It will be for some, but it wont be for others.

I'm blessed to have the opportunity to come back when I like, and I am grateful for that, but at this stage in my life, having experienced what's on offer for the last 4 years, I really feel like I need an invigorating change, and a move within Australia just wouldn't deliver what I need. In fact, from an income and job position point of view, my options are really restricted to either Sydney or Melbourne. For such a big country it feels very claustrophobic at times.

Ditto, ditto :)

Guest siamsusie

For me having the choice of being able to live either here or in Europe I guess I am very lucky.

I came over on a de facto visa .. my choice! Basically as long as I am with my husband I am happy anywhere ..

I do happen to love living here, I love the space, the people, the nature and the environment.

I have a great support network here with my husband and friends and right now cannot envisage living anywhere else in the world.

We both enjoy both sides of the planet, and its great to be able to keep all options open.

Susie x

Guest EmmaLouisee
Hi everyone!

I would love to hear from those of you who have made the move to Oz. You all had reasons for moving there, has it lived up to your expectations?

There are a lot of posts where people regret it and wish to come back to the UK but others stay and love it.

My wife and I are considering it, not to emigrate but to go there and work for a couple of years and see how it goes.

Thank you!

Hello,

I moved out here with my parents when I was 14, I'm now 20. At first I thought of the typical Aussie surfing home and away lifestyle it would be. But I was wrong. It is so multi cultural and life is just so different. At first it was easy for me to make friends and I loved it here for 3 Years then I hit 17 nearly 18 and it came to a stage where I looked around me and I didnt consider anyone of my friends a real friend. People came into my life and soonly left. I had no family here to turn to other then my mum, and as a teenager, you can't always talk to your mum about certain things.

As of now, 2 years on, I'm still in the same dilemma. And finding it hard to find a job. So I'm just studying to pass the time. I even feel like a complete foreigner in Sydney, as I don't hardly any true blue Aussies or any english at all! (I'm from the southwest, so that's mainly why)

I was use to a hometown in England where my family have history, where my grandma would walk down the lane and know everyone and their families history. I even miss the cobbled roads in the little shop strips. I know I'm only young, but I do miss everything about England ( even the snowy cold christmas')

When I go back in December for a holiday, ill sum it all up where I want to live.

Currently home sick!

Hi

I moved here with my young family last year and having lived here before I thought I knew what to expect - but life is very different when you have children and you can't afford to live in the city. However, like most people there are things I love and things that disappoint me. I love that I can go for a run and have amazing views of the mountains, love that I can go to the beach any day I choose as the weather is usually pretty good. Love being able to dry washing outside (rather sad), love that people actually talk to you in shops and you can have a conversation even with the youngsters. Parking is free in most plazas outside of the city and I think electric and gas are much cheaper than the UK.

I have been able to set up my own business which I wouldn't be able to do in the UK and this gives me the freedom to spend time with my girls. I would have to work full time in the UK and although I loved my job, I found it difficult splitting my time between family life and work.

The only things I have found a bit disappointing is the amount of free things to do with children. The playgroups are great but you still have to be a member and pay every week. I miss the amount of little farms to visit, as there were lots where we lived in UK and reasonably priced.

I also find some of the systems here very confusing and a bit awkward to use. The different states all have their own rules and regs and it is quite difficult to find answers to questions as there are so many agencies involved.

However, life gives you different opportunities and Australia gives me different opportunities than the UK. It depends on what you want most and what is important to you. For me I wanted to spend time with my children and have more of a family life. Oz allows me to do this so I am positive that it is the right place for us at the moment.

Guest Mallam
you need to come and check it out first, this place is awesome,but not for everybody, personally you couldnt drag me back to the uk with a team of wild horses

Good point, Oz is not for everyone and that is why people return to the UK, one man's happiness is another man's misery.