Jems30

Ok, sell it to me;-)

We are looking at emigrating to Perth.

I have a few questions to those of you who have made the move....

Would you say your life is better than it was in the UK?

What do you love about Perth?

What do you hate?

What is the weather like in the winter? is it cold?

Bugs/bites, is it as scary as it is made out to be?:laugh:

Do you find the schooling better than the UK?

Do your family/friends from the UK visit?

Me (34), Hubby (37), Sons (12 & 10) and Daughter (8)

Not better ... but different in a positive way. I've never been quite sure what people mean by better life because it's all rather subjective. We had a comfortable life in the UK and it's equally as comfortable here in Aus, we still work, cook and clean .... but we do seem to have more time together as a family which has been an improvement.

It's not overcrowded, the climate, close to Asia, the city is small, My daughter commented that she is glad to have had her teenage years in Perth

What do you hate?

The cost of interstate travel

Yes, there's a definate change in temperature mornings and evenings, but day time can be pleasant (like a spring day). Having said that, I think my OH has only worn long trousers for work a handful of times in 4 years. Certainly in winter you need PJ's and duvets - there's no central heating

Bugs/bites, is it as scary as it is made out to be?

I hate Mozzies and cockroaches ... but the other bugs don't bother me

My children didn't get the same amount of homework in primary school here as they did in the UK, we've found education to be OK - children are in public school and my daughter was in an Academic Extension programme and my son does some AEP work in primary. My children have been happy with their schooling and have thrived. As I see it, Australia still produces Dr.s, Lawyers etc., so the education system can't be too bad. I've no doubt that my children will achieve their potential whatever that may be and whatever system they were in.

We've been here 4 years. My dad is 73 and just made his 3rd visit to us and his 4th to Australia. My in-laws have visited twice and one of my brother-in-laws and his family have also visited. Additionally, we've had friends visit from inter-state too.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest RichB

Hot, flat and boring..Hardly ever rains, endless sunshine which sounds nice but you get totally sick of it...Only good thing there are plenty of well paying jobs thats the only reason Im here, but I could never live here for ever..

Financially and professionally, yes.

Clean, well maintained and well kept. Nice beaches, plenty of lovely parks. The city itself is very nice.

What do you hate?

The extreme heat during summers, isolation, quite backward sometimes, rednecks.

Can be quite cold, but never as cold as the Uk. Inside the house can get cold as no central heating, so you would need heaters and electric blanket, a few thick jumpers and socks, nothing more than that.

Not at all. Seen redbacks, but just avoid them, rarely any spiders inside the house. Never been bitten by anything, haven't even seen a snake yet.

Don't know about that yet, my little one is only 7 months old.

So far only my parents visited, hopefully my best friend will visit, but I think the cost of the flights put a lot of people off.

Guest missuk

Financially it was but prices here are catching up with tht rest of the world, but i miss family soooo much after 12 years being here. Houses still a lot cheaper than UK though.

I love the hot weather but only cos i have a pool at home.

What do you hate?

I absolutely hate being away from my family in England. Wasn't an issue when i was single and had no kids and could just hop on a plane whenever. You need a lot of money to experience a good life here in the way of travel, even interstate is expensive, so we are stuck in perth. The longer I am here, the more i realise it is very small, insular and away from everything I want.

I love the cold weather, almost seems a novelty now to me.

Noooo, seen 2 snakes in 12 years. Lots of redbacks but we get the house sprayed every 6 months.

Only cos we go to a private school, our high school is shocking. Depends on what area you live though. good and bad like anywhere!

in 12 years, dad been out once, mum 3 times, sister never as can't afford it and a few people passing through once in a while, going to better and more interesting places.

Hot, flat and boring..Hardly ever rains, endless sunshine which sounds nice but you get totally sick of it...Only good thing there are plenty of well paying jobs thats the only reason Im here, but I could never live here for ever..

A well paid job wouln't make up for the amount of unhappiness that you seem to be experiencing by being here, it's making you come across as rather bitter about your experience. I couldn't stay in a place that made me so unahppy - I'd chalk it up to experience and be on my way to somewhere else.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Curious why you people chose Perth rather than the East Coast ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

I wouldn't say it was better or worse, but I would say there are more opportunities here.

I like the fact that it has the small city feel and how quickly it can feel like home. Its a cheap flight into Asia - $550 return for a couple to KL(then £20 flights practically anywhere in Asia)

The public transport is of a very good standard compared to Scottish cities.

What do you hate?

I don't really hate anything - its a city like any other.

The winter wouldn't be cold if you arrived in winter - but once you have adjusted to the summer heat it may feel cold.

The only thing I have seen that has scared me has been some massive ants - but that was in the country.

N/A to me - however I find the universities/courses to be of a good standard.

My parents are doing a house exchange in June for a month.

“Self-conceit may lead to self destruction"

For us climate was a little more mediterranean - and less humid than the East Coast. As Chalky said small city feel, for us too it's less populated

Melbourne is not humid at all.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Melbourne is not humid at all.

Don't you get 4 seasons there in one day? Our other alternative was QLD as my brother has lived there for a number of years

Thank you all very much:-)

We are thinking of Perth as it is quieter and we have friends there who have said it is fantastic for families. I think the weather there is better than other parts of Australia too.

Me (34), Hubby (37), Sons (12 & 10) and Daughter (8)

Guest RichB

Weather better than other parts of Australia, I supposse it depends on what kind of weather you like.If you like endless raging hot days with no rain at all for months and months, yes you would probably like Perth...Have you seen the new housing estates going up around Perth, mostly built on farmland, no trees, roof to roof houses,absolutely characterless..I really cant see the attraction of this..The only thing I would say is nice about WA is the endless white sand beaches and blue sea, but there are no little bays with rocks or anything like that...Its so flat and boring with no hills to walk in or anything...But as has been said some people love it here..Im only here for the work, but will move on asap..

A common joke that people used to ask was - "what is the time difference between Perth and the Eastern states?"

answer - about thirty years.

This can be good or bad depending on what you like!

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Guest RichB

Absolute rubbish if you dont mind me saying..How can anyone say Perth is so far behind the east coast..Perth is probably the most modern, up do date city in the whole of Australia..and isolated what a joke, it certainly is not..look at the traffic in perth, and bunbury and you call it isolated. Melbourne, Sydney and all those other heaving metropilis are full to to the brim with the masses..drive 2 hours north or south and its lovely, quiet and probably what you moved to Oz in the first place for..

Its so flat and boring with no hills to walk in or anything...But as has been said some people love it here..Im only here for the work, but will move on asap..

Hey Rich, there's the 3 mountains walk (probably not real mountains) but a fair incline I would imagine and the ridge walk at Striling Range if you're interested in that sort of stuff - too much like hard work for me though.

Hope you get your wish to move soon.

http://www.walkgps.com/Three%20Mountains%20walk.htm

http://www.stirlingrange.com.au/experience/02_alpine.html

Better in some ways and not in others .. cryptic i know .. more time as a family always close to the beach , really nice for children ( they seem able to stay kids for longer here ) its very family orientated and more laid back .

how clean it is, the opposites from the uk are nice , the wildlife , the beaches ..for their own reasons .

What do you hate?

Missing family and friends , cold weather ie: frosty days , walks in the countryside and nice pub meals in the countryside.. weekends away like small city breaks etc .

Not cold as we know it but after you have climatized it can be a shocker its the houses that are worse they are awfull to heat up , no central heating or double glazing somedays we open the doors and its warmer out ..lol

Have been here 2 and a bit years , have seen lots of spiders .. 5 snakes , and cocky's etc .. we had gheckos running around on the wall today ! and a baby duck in our garage awww... ( so snakes were not near mostly seen on the roads sunbathing while we were in the car ( thank goodness) except for one it went for a swim on the beach :shocked: as we were ... ) very odd. spiders get sprayed and sllipper treatment !

Our first year at kindy this year .. so far so good ..

family out later in the year for their first holiday ...:jiggy: very excited !

to much partying to much booze gives you spots and makes you snooze!

sharon.

Weather better than other parts of Australia, I supposse it depends on what kind of weather you like.If you like endless raging hot days with no rain at all for months and months, yes you would probably like Perth...Have you seen the new housing estates going up around Perth, mostly built on farmland, no trees, roof to roof houses,absolutely characterless..I really cant see the attraction of this..The only thing I would say is nice about WA is the endless white sand beaches and blue sea, but there are no little bays with rocks or anything like that...Its so flat and boring with no hills to walk in or anything...But as has been said some people love it here..Im only here for the work, but will move on asap..

hopefully your work will run out soon , then you can move on to a better place ........let us know if you find one as i dont think you will ever be happy...........

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Do you work for the Samaritans ?

Gary (37 electrician special class), Maxine (37, Nurse), Macy (12) & Thomas (3). WA SS Applied 20.12.10 received 02.02.11, 176 visa applied 16.02.11, Co assigned 16.03.11, everything uploaded 15.05.11..visa granted 24.5.11. Fly 8.1.12...arrived in Perth 12.1.12...

MISSUK which high school is shocking in WA just so I know to cross it off my list!!!?

Paul (40), Lesa (41), Jason (12) and Jamie (10)

AQF III passed 18/03/2010 TRA sent 07/04/2010 TRA Approved 27/05/2010 WA SS lodged 20/12/10 WA SS rec 03/02/11 Visa lodged 05/02/11 CO assigned 07/03/11 VISA GRANTED 10/05/11 :biggrin:

Guest mackemsok

I would say our lives are better in the fact that we have given our children more opportunities here than what they would have in the UK, the weather is so much better therefore we do so much more that we did, we have better social lives becasue we have made lots of friends - but we put the effort in !

Its a beautiful place i never tire of driving into the City past the Swan river and seeing the sun bouncing off the water - just magical!

What do you hate?

Not having my family here

Sure is but no where near as cold as back in Blighty

No way i am a scaredy cat and hate any bugs - I can cope with cockies and mozzies I just live with them - aint seen a snake or a huntsman after 2 half years

We sent our daughter to a private catholic college and that is about the same standard as UK schools in my opinion - catholic church funds the school so its not too expensive

Yeah we have been here 2 half years and have had 5 visitors - the longer you are here the less you crave your rellies - you move on and make friends and make a new life

Good luck Sharon x

Sunshine, seabreeze, friendly people, white sandy beaches, sunshine, warm winters, low humidity in summer, the Swan Rivers with thousands of sailing boats, the little traffic, sunshine, housing affordability, great prospect for the kids, sunshine, nice coral reefs, nice hills with picnic parks and forest walks, Rottnest, Garden and Carnac Islands close by, sunshine, good and varied school system, good universities, good hospitals, good roads, the street tables in the coffee shop in Fremantle, sunshine, the cycleways around the Swan River and along the coast, the short drive to wineries of Margaret River, camping in the forest at Nanga near the rapids, sunshine, friendly millionaires (more here per capita than anywhere in Oz), 4WD on the dunes along the beach, dining in North Perth after a play at His Majesty Theater, and more.

Of course you can find similar things in Melbourne, Sydney, New York, Honolulu, Capri, Rome, London etc, I have been there, but all in all, as a package, nothing beats living in Perth.

Did I mention the Sunshine?

Keep smiling

Stefano