Guest jje

Co-ordinating shipping, holiday rental and long-term rental

Guest jje

Hi,

We aim to head out to Aus this September and I'm trying to work out how to co-ordinate the arrival of our shipping, which takes about three months, with moving into a long term unfurnished rental.

The holiday rentals are expensive in comparison so I'd want to get out of there as quickly as possible but I'm not sure what else would be available for the relatively short 2-3 months gap that needs filling.

What's everyone else doing/done?

Cheers!

we have booked 3 months in a holiday let, managed to get the weekly rent down by booking this long. If my some miracle our container arrives early we sorted out 4 weeks free storage. I really hope this is long enough to get us sorted.

08/06/10 TRA received 26/10/10 SA SS Approved 14/11/10. VISA APP lodged 19th Nov 2010 -CO 21/02/11 - VISA GRANTED 08/03/11 ARRIVED IN ADELAIDE 18 July 2011 AND LOVING EVERY SECOND:

Guest jje

Sounds fantastic, can you share the letting company's details please?

we shipped 2 weeks before we left, and rented 7 weeks. Our container arrived the day we got the keys to our rental. Admittedly our container left 2 days after it was packed, so our time frams was pretty quick.

Same as Gaz & family we negotiated a better deal for the longer period. We had originally booked for 4 weeks, but struggled at the time to find a decent rental.

If you can afford to stretch until your container has arrived, it makes things more comfortable, otherwise you end up sleeping on camp beds & sitting on garden furniture. Another way is not to bring much and buy on arrival, and then you dont need to wait on the container (but thats the expensive option :wink:)

Most rental periods longer than about 3 weeks are negotiable, and actually in many cases dont need to be much dearer than an unfurnished once you calculate the amenities etc that you normally pay on an unfurnished.

:wink:

Guest jje

I guess this begs the question then - what did you do for 2 weeks with no furniture in the UK? :smile:

Shipping a couple of weeks before we land in Sydney. Then got a four week furnished rental in the CBD. Hope to find a long term rent in that four weeks. Will then have 4-6 weeks before the stuff turns up.

We're not shipping a sofa and will buy a sofa bed. Will also buy outdoor table and chairs and use them. Plus some kitchen items we're not bringing. Should be fine really.

457 - Nomination Submitted 17/02/2011. Nomination Approved 12/03/2011. e457 Submitted 13/03/2011. Visa Approved 26/03/2011. Landing in Sydney 23/05/2011.

I guess this begs the question then - what did you do for 2 weeks with no furniture in the UK? :smile:

We were actually in Holland at the time:wink:

We borrowed mattrasses & bedding to sleep on and a had a few other items that we were selling prior to moving to use, and ate out most of the time or with neighbours.

nearly forgot, and kept the playstation for the kids, which then went in the hand luggage for arrival.

Guest jje
We were actually in Holland at the time:wink:

We borrowed mattrasses & bedding to sleep on and a had a few other items that we were selling prior to moving to use, and ate out most of the time or with neighbours.

Heh, my bad.

Thanks for the useful info, this forum is just fantastic!

Heh, my bad.

Thanks for the useful info, this forum is just fantastic!

I forgot to add, which is probably a good indication for a move to Melbourne as well (not sure which state you are planning to move to) the bulk of our new arrivals in our unit book for 3 or 4 weeks. I have yet to have a family struggle to find a rental that they are initially happy within that period.

we are going to send our stuff out about 6 weeks before we go..we have a neighbour who has offered to lend us a spare of everything we may need..gonna be easier to go without here rather than over there :-)

skills test 10/08/10, passed 29/08/10, 176 skilled sponsored applied 06/09/10, email from DIAC 18/03/11, meds and police checks 06/04/11,all documentation met 17/6/11...visa granted 20/6/11 flying to Sydney 07/11/11 then moving up to QLD:biggrin:

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi,

Our container only took about 7 weeks to get here - stayed with family for a few weeks before moving to Oz, we arranged a 2 week holiday apartment for when we first got here, then got the keys to our rental. We were in it about 3 weeks before our container arrived, but on the Gold Coast there are lots of companies that hire all sorts of furniture so we rented beds, and had to buy outdoor furniture which became our dining table and had to buy a barbie anyway and just got a few things to keep us going - was great fun camping out in our rental!

Liz

Guest jje

Ah renting furniture, now there's a good idea! I will skip on staying with family though, I think it might end up in me shooting myself :wink:

Guest Ammara

We r moving proper to Gold Coast with kids and all in nov. At the moment, we've shipped virtually everything (including beds washer etc) . We sleep on matresses and sleeping bags and live out of a suitcase each of clothes. Each kid (we hv 4) hv a piece of hand luggage where they keep their "personal" stuff like ipods, trading cards etc.

We each have a set of sheets, a pillow and light blanket each, plus we eat and drink out of a set of plastic plates and cups (yes, only 1 each). Everything else has gone.

Kids r enjoying it. It's like "camping inddors". We adults cant wait to be over with this nomadic life.

We (adults) will travel to GC to sort out a house rental next week and make payments etc. Buy a car too. Then we leave the stuff with a friend, and travel back. collect kids from their grandparents and fly over in november. Shipment will arrive early december. More nomadic existence in GC when we arrive!

Thank god it will be summer, so no heavy clothing and bedding to lug over.

Guest Beth101

You can go to IKEA and pick up some basics - IKEA in Australia seems cheaper than IKEA in the UK. We decided we would need another bed for when visitors start arriving, and as most Australian homes are bigger than the UK, with both a formal and casual living area we needed another small sofa anyway. Also both Target and Big W sell fairly good quality homeware at reasonable prices (although bedding seems expensive). Other than that if you buy a BBQ and some outdoor furniture you can get by for a few weeks - it's certainly cheaper than renting a furnished house for a couple of months.