Bacon, sausages and chocolate

Guest OnlineMarketer30

On 24/07/2019 at 18:28, MARYROSE02 said:

"(I don't like) Australian bacon, sausages, chocolate (and beer, pubs, eggs, bottles of water, curries?) I must have been here far too long and I've "gone native" because I never notice those things, unless I accidentally order beef sausages which I detest. I had some very nice lamb sausages in the Shakespeare Hotel (Surry Hills) a few weeks back and the barman made me laugh when I asked him "What do the lamb sausages taste like?" "Like sausages with lamb in them."

There are plenty of pubs, some with their own breweries, which sell "craft beers" but I don't like it - too hoppy(?) I sometimes ask for a taste and then do my Bazza MacKenzie in a London pub "yuk" and ask for a schooner of VB, sometimes apologising for my Philistine tastes. I like Singha and Blue Moon too if I can get them.

At the risk of sounding patronising, stay here long enough and you will forget about all those things you miss, unless you go "home" for good that is!

I've never noticed the difference with chocolate tbh, although I'm told that Australian chocolate is made by a different process to the stuff in the Northern Hemisphere. Don't know if that's cobblers or not? I do miss British pubs, beers, curries (Anglo-Bangladeshi curries to be fair) and fish and chips. I did manage to find a British style pub (after some help from PIO posters) in Melbourne which had a decent range of bitters, but they're all served ice cold which killed the taste somewhat! Now, thankfully I've learned that Dan Murphys sells my favourite British ales - Hobgoblin, Speckled Hen and Theakstons, along with good selection of German Weissbeers, so I'm sorted there.

Not been so lucky on the curry front, but the search continues. With regards to fish and chips, I gave up on frozen polystyrene chips they sell locally and bought myself a deep fat fryer. So long as you remember to change the oil regularly, it's the perfect way to enjoy freshly-cooked British-style fish and chips. 😀 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I've never noticed the difference with chocolate tbh, although I'm told that Australian chocolate is made by a different process to the stuff in the Northern Hemisphere. Don't know if that's cobblers or not? I do miss British pubs, beers, curries (Anglo-Bangladeshi curries to be fair) and fish and chips. I did manage to find a British style pub (after some help from PIO posters) in Melbourne which had a decent range of bitters, but they're all served ice cold which killed the taste somewhat! Now, thankfully I've learned that Dan Murphys sells my favourite British ales - Hobgoblin, Speckled Hen and Theakstons, along with good selection of German Weissbeers, so I'm sorted there.

Not been so lucky on the curry front, but the search continues. With regards to fish and chips, I gave up on frozen polystyrene chips they sell locally and bought myself a deep fat fryer. So long as you remember to change the oil regularly, it's the perfect way to enjoy freshly-cooked British-style fish and chips. 😀 

Australian chocolate has to have a very high percentage of cocoa solids, just like the European standard.  British chocolate has a very low cocoa content, it’s basically coloured, sugared veg fat.  As it didn’t meet the Euro standard, for many years it couldn’t be sold in Europe, and the common market wanted it labelled as vegelate. 

https://europe.wisc.edu/outreach-opportunities/european-union-chocolate-simulation/great-european-union-chocolate-battle/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

All chips sold here are cooked to order.  Some might be pre cut, but we just avoid  those places.  At least the fish here isn’t covered in crap and then fried! 

19 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

From what people say, the curries in the Northern Hemisphere are made in a different process too? It always seemed odd to me - white people complaining about food made by people from the Sub-continent in Australia being "different" to true British curries. Perhaps that is the whole point? British curries ARE different? Sometimes, if I know them well enough, I'll tell someone from India, i.e. Bangladesh that they have to go to the UK if they want the best Indian food. And now, just this week, I used a Patak's sauce as the base for my slow cooker conconction - beef, veg, spud, tin of tomatoes, garlic.

Aussies do like their beers served cold - even the craft beers, which is perhaps why I don't like the taste? It's certainly a lot cheaper buying your alcohol in bottle shops - $2 a tin if you buy 24? But living on my own I go out for the social aspect, and I've got two or three pubs where I know the staff and some of the regulars too. The beer itself is not so important and of course I admit to liking VB! I've got two or three cafes I go into during the day, all run by Vietnamese or Chinese, where I know the staff, which takes the edge off my solitary lifestyle.

I do sometimes tell Aussie friends that the whole point of serving beer cold is to kill the taste which is the only way you can sink it. Come to think of it I did suggest to one that he keep a case in his room but he said, "That's no good. I don't have a fridge."

On 25/07/2019 at 03:02, Amber Snowball said:

Is resurrecting an 8 year old thread that looks like it descended into all out war at times a wise move?! 😳

Good grief.  I see what you mean.  I've just read over the thread.  😂  Gotta laugh haven't you.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bulya said:

All chips sold here are cooked to order.  Some might be pre cut, but we just avoid  those places.  At least the fish here isn’t covered in crap and then fried! 

I just find them a bit cardboard like for my taste. Much better to get some lovely fresh Marris Pipers and make your own. Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. 😀

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

From what people say, the curries in the Northern Hemisphere are made in a different process too? It always seemed odd to me - white people complaining about food made by people from the Sub-continent in Australia being "different" to true British curries. Perhaps that is the whole point? British curries ARE different? Sometimes, if I know them well enough, I'll tell someone from India, i.e. Bangladesh that they have to go to the UK if they want the best Indian food. And now, just this week, I used a Patak's sauce as the base for my slow cooker conconction - beef, veg, spud, tin of tomatoes, garlic.

Aussies do like their beers served cold - even the craft beers, which is perhaps why I don't like the taste? It's certainly a lot cheaper buying your alcohol in bottle shops - $2 a tin if you buy 24? But living on my own I go out for the social aspect, and I've got two or three pubs where I know the staff and some of the regulars too. The beer itself is not so important and of course I admit to liking VB! I've got two or three cafes I go into during the day, all run by Vietnamese or Chinese, where I know the staff, which takes the edge off my solitary lifestyle.

I do sometimes tell Aussie friends that the whole point of serving beer cold is to kill the taste which is the only way you can sink it. Come to think of it I did suggest to one that he keep a case in his room but he said, "That's no good. I don't have a fridge."

That’s a fair point. What’s purported to be ‘Indian’ food in the UK is essentially Bangladeshi food, westernised. At least, that’s what an Indian mate of mine back home is fond of telling me! I always felt bad that I enjoyed the curries we’d eat down the local tandoori more than the ones he’d cook for me! Just shows what a pleb I am!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I just find them a bit cardboard like for my taste. Much better to get some lovely fresh Marris Pipers and make your own. Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. 😀

MP available at the farmers market.  We don’t make chips at home, generally steer well clear of anything fried 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 23:25, Bulya said:

Australian chocolate has to have a very high percentage of cocoa solids, just like the European standard.

I'm not sure I believe that.  To me, Aus Cadburys taste very similar to US 'candy' (Hersheys etc), nothing like European (Lindt/Ritter) chocolate.

3 hours ago, unzippy said:

I'm not sure I believe that.  To me, Aus Cadburys taste very similar to US 'candy' (Hersheys etc), nothing like European (Lindt/Ritter) chocolate.

Hersheys is nasty stuff.  Aus Cadbury slightly better and I agree with starlight the Cadburys is sickly but I wouldn't say no to a piece of fruit and nut.

14 hours ago, Bulya said:

Research it 

I have - these are the findings from my research..

😉

14 hours ago, Toots said:

To me, Aus Cadburys taste very similar to US 'candy' (Hersheys etc), nothing like European (Lindt/Ritter) chocolate.

On 26/07/2019 at 21:15, Saurer Pfirsich said:

That’s a fair point. What’s purported to be ‘Indian’ food in the UK is essentially Bangladeshi food, westernised. At least, that’s what an Indian mate of mine back home is fond of telling me! I always felt bad that I enjoyed the curries we’d eat down the local tandoori more than the ones he’d cook for me! Just shows what a pleb I am!

I always remember when our family was invited to have dinner at the home of an Indian family.  This was back in Scotland and I was a young teenager at the time, I think.  The food was nice, but I remember being bemused that it was nothing like any Indian food I had ever seen.

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I always remember when our family was invited to have dinner at the home of an Indian family.  This was back in Scotland and I was a young teenager at the time, I think.  The food was nice, but I remember being bemused that it was nothing like any Indian food I had ever seen.

Same when we went to India in 2006