Bacon, sausages and chocolate

Guest OnlineMarketer30

Guest mcginlm72

You people have got to be bloody kidding aren't you ??? If you don't like it try making your own. It's not difficult. Primary ingredients are oil,eggs and lemon juice. I really can't believe what some of you lot whinge about.

God touchy much aren't you!? Why should we have to make our own? I don't think it is too much to expect ONE mayonnaise in this country to be edible and that is the point of these forums for people to exchange their thoughts, ideas, experiences and suggestions to other in similar situations. I for one am glad I whinged about the bloody awful mayo in this country as other not so touchy folk have suggested alternatives for me and I am thankful to them.

Guest chris955

Why ? Its no different than anyone else in a different country. Aussies abroad whinge about the beer, food, the weather etc etc. Americans are probably no different and in fact most other nationalities probably do it as well. We has an Aussie friend visit when we were living in the UK years ago and he complained about literally everything, even freezing cold lager wasn't cold enough for him. Everyone does it.

You people have got to be bloody kidding aren't you ??? If you don't like it try making your own. It's not difficult. Primary ingredients are oil,eggs and lemon juice. I really can't believe what some of you lot whinge about.

Guest famousfive

Lord above,why is it that every little niggle expressed on this forum has to be taken as a slight on the whole country?The Chinese,Italians,Greeks etc.. who came here obviously did not take to the food so well either,that is why we have so many 'Foreign' types of food in our shops and restaurants.Same the world over.Nothing wrong with saying you prefer some British food,it's good food too.Australian does not have a monopoly on good food[as much as some would like to think so].If you keep asking your local shop for these things they will eventually listen,see an opportunity and start stocking this produce.This is how they started selling all types of other non-australian ingredients too.They see demand and they will supply.Don't just do without....ask them to get it.

Guest famousfive

Thanks Chris.It does my head in constantly reading posts from people saying........that is just the way it is,put up with it or find an alternative.Arrgghh...

Sure find an alternative if you can,but for some things no alternative is going to pass muster.Why put up with it?The eastern europeans and africans who come to ireland do not put up with it,they ask local shops if they can source it for them.And guess what?The shops do.....because this is good business.I asjed my local butcher if he would make me irish sausages.He did,without success.I phoned an irish butcher,asked him for a receipe which he obliged with,gave it to my butcher here and hey presto....Irish Sausages!They sell well for him too so he is pleased.It can be done.

Guest mcginlm72
Thanks Chris.It does my head in constantly reading posts from people saying........that is just the way it is,put up with it or find an alternative.Arrgghh...

Sure find an alternative if you can,but for some things no alternative is going to pass muster.Why put up with it?The eastern europeans and africans who come to ireland do not put up with it,they ask local shops if they can source it for them.And guess what?The shops do.....because this is good business.I asjed my local butcher if he would make me irish sausages.He did,without success.I phoned an irish butcher,asked him for a receipe which he obliged with,gave it to my butcher here and hey presto....Irish Sausages!They sell well for him too so he is pleased.It can be done.

That is a fantastic idea as a Scot in Australia I miss haggis something rotten and with customs there is no way in hell I can get i posted here unless it is in a tin so I might take your idea of getting a butcher back home to give me the recipe and ask my local butcher to give it a go he can only say no! feel stupid I never thought of it myself!! thanks!! and I totally agree with you there are some things that an alternative is only ever that an alternative and never compare to what you know and love and it is only natural to want and crave what you have been brought up on.

Guest guest36762

can you post it on here?

Guest guest36762
coming from Holland where they incidentally make the best mayo in the world, having lived in the UK for 9 years and thus dealing with the english crap all that time, I can't imagine it being worse!

oh yeah? wait til you've tried it then

Guest famousfive

For the irish amongst us.........rather than source irish food online in oz why not look to america?More irish in america so the selection is better and with the exchange rate right now it is not too bad.I did this last year but cannot remember which one I used.Irish websites deliver here too but costs an arm and a leg.

Guest famousfive

Harpodom-Will do,give me a few days.Most of my stuff is in storage right now but will be collecting it next monday.I have it in there somewhere.Tried one we got off the internet first but it was missing something,not quite right.The butcher ones had ginger,nutmeg,cloves and allspice if I remember correctly.Will ask the butcher if I am down that way before I get my stuff from storage.

Guest mcginlm72
yuk,did you not try Becks or stella in the UK LOL

Becks cracks me up it used to be the cheap crap we'd take to parties when we were younger and couldn't afford anything else now over here they shove the word imported onto anything and suddenly it's cool and mega expensive!! As for Stella it's called "wife beater" where I'm from as all those who drank it then started fights!! mainly neds!! :biglaugh:

Guest guest36762
Becks cracks me up it used to be the cheap crap we'd take to parties when we were younger and couldn't afford anything else now over here they shove the word imported onto anything and suddenly it's cool and mega expensive!! As for Stella it's called "wife beater" where I'm from as all those who drank it then started fights!! mainly neds!! :biglaugh:

Yeah, and I'd still rather pay silly money for it than drink Carlton friggin draught, forget 'wife beater', toilet cleaner would be more apt

• 8 years later...

"(I don't like) Australian bacon, sausages, chocolate (and beer, pubs, eggs, bottles of water, curries?) I must have been here far too long and I've "gone native" because I never notice those things, unless I accidentally order beef sausages which I detest. I had some very nice lamb sausages in the Shakespeare Hotel (Surry Hills) a few weeks back and the barman made me laugh when I asked him "What do the lamb sausages taste like?" "Like sausages with lamb in them."

There are plenty of pubs, some with their own breweries, which sell "craft beers" but I don't like it - too hoppy(?) I sometimes ask for a taste and then do my Bazza MacKenzie in a London pub "yuk" and ask for a schooner of VB, sometimes apologising for my Philistine tastes. I like Singha and Blue Moon too if I can get them.

At the risk of sounding patronising, stay here long enough and you will forget about all those things you miss, unless you go "home" for good that is!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

"(I don't like) Australian bacon, sausages, chocolate (and beer, pubs, eggs, bottles of water, curries?) I must have been here far too long and I've "gone native"

Me too.   I used to hanker for British chocolate, then one year I went back to the UK for a visit and thought, "I used to like this stuff?"  Mind you, I think that's because I'd developed the habit of buying the Lindt bars which are so reasonably priced here.

I was never a beer drinker, always lager, and I like a lot of the craft lagers here (and Singha too).

As for fish and chips, my sister bought us fish suppers for a treat one night from "the best chippie in Aberdeen" and I thought they were foul.  Soft, thick batter, soft chips - yuk!  

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Me too.   I used to hanker for British chocolate, then one year I went back to the UK for a visit and thought, "I used to like this stuff?"  Mind you, I think that's because I'd developed the habit of buying the Lindt bars which are so reasonably priced here.

I was never a beer drinker, always lager, and I like a lot of the craft lagers here (and Singha too).

As for fish and chips, my sister bought us fish suppers for a treat one night from "the best chippie in Aberdeen" and I thought they were foul.  Soft, thick batter, soft chips - yuk!  

Lindt and Singha -  big thumbs up.  👍

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

British fish and chips are unhealthy and inedible- soggy and oily. Good on the Asians for bringing in good crisp light batter and crunchy chips in Australia. 

Unhealthy yes, inedible sometimes.  I wouldn't buy twice from a chippy that sold soggy batter.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Unhealthy yes, inedible sometimes.  I wouldn't buy twice from a chippy that sold soggy batter.

Some people like it.

Can't stand it to honest.

Quite like Australian fish and chips. But not all UK chips are soggy.

Living in a big Australian city will give you plenty of opportunities to buy decent meat - in Brisbane, my local organic butcher sells lovely bacon without all the nitrites and horrible dyes. Pretty excellent sausages too - all sourced from free range animals. I rarely eat meat, so buy good quality when I do - I won’t eat Danish bacon or non free range meat here or in the UK. Quality over quantity every time. I’ve no doubt there are many decent butchers in Sydney and Melbourne also - just avoid the crappy meat in the major supermarkets.