Bacon, sausages and chocolate

Guest OnlineMarketer30

sounds like it's in your mind

i get given eggs quite often, beautiful local eggs, free range of course

Actually I was told by doctors and dieticians in the UK to give up eggs as they were making me sick. Thanks though for your concern of my mental state.

yes. Although you'll find it was him/her that actually started the condescending if you read the threads... I dont attack, just defend. thanks

Seriously??? You are all as bad as each other when it comes to some of the remarks you make but using 'love' to put someone down, you don't get much lower than that IMHO (but hey, ho, just a woman so I guess you wouldn't listen to my opinion anyway).

Guest guest36762
Actually I was told by doctors and dieticians in the UK to give up eggs as they were making me sick. Thanks though for your concern of my mental state.

no worries

Guest guest30038
Well at least they sorted out the cumcumbers. It took a while, but I'm pleased to say that last time I was in Perth I saw row upon row of English cumcumbers, and none of those weird Italian ones.

Cumcumbers? Freudian slip? :tongue: :wink:

Actually, they're called "continental" cucumbers. It's the only bit of European culture Oz has to offer dontcha know? :biggrin:

Actually, they're called "continental" cucumbers. It's the only bit of European culture Oz has to offer dontcha know? :biggrin:

Late night typing sorry.

Actually half the kids I went to school with at Mt Lawley were Italian or Greek. Big European influence there. Great food. (minus the cucumbers)

Guest siamsusie

Dutch = komkommers:wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mcginlm72
Hi all

Well I've been in Sydney 3 weeks and loving it but there's a few things I need to address in the way of food!

1. What's with the bacon here? It appears to be cooked - i.e it looks like ham, the same shade of pinreally k. Whereas, we all know that Danish bacon at home looks raw and more like pork. It's putting me off buying it, what's the reason for this?? Pork and other meat in Coles or whatever looks normal.

2. Sausages - they are non existant. I feel the need to tell all Aussies their sausages are disgusting, processed, not even pork, who knows what they are?! Anyone know where I can get a normal sausage?! I asked a guy for a sausage and bacon roll the other day and he looked at me like I was stupid!

3. Oh no, why are Cadburys embarrassing us like this over here!! It says Cadburys on the packets but what I taste inside makes me sad! What's going on?? Am I ever going to taste real dairy milk again?? I cant understand why all other countries in the world can't make chocolate like we do. They have all the ingredients!! Sure, Belgium and Switzerland have a good go but no one else, and I've been to a fair few countries, produces choc like us. Why oh why??

Also, why is everything so bloody expensive here!! What a rip off - small bottle of water (in one of the hottest countries on Earth) $3... what the??

Cheers

Your post made me smile as I know exactly what you mean I have no real answers for you I'm afraid I am as puzzled as you. The bacon god knows what that is about but it doesn't taste that bad if you cremate it! lol As for sausages there are apparently in Sydney British food shops that have meat in it maybe they are your only hope for decent sausages I tend to try and buy beef sausages just as like you say god knows what meat that is in the other ones but it tastes disgusting failing that most supermarkets sell HP well Woolworths definately do just drown your sausages in that it makes any bacon and sausage taste good!! as for the chocolate it is a lost cause i'm afraid someone told me it is the milk in this country that makes Cadbury's taste different I dunno if this is true but it is so horrible compared to home. If you like Galaxy chocolate then buy Dove chocolate as it is the same thing just different names again there are British sweet shops in Sydney if you are craving some decent chocolate but it will cost you a fortune!

Small tip stay away from the mayonaise in this country it is the most disgusting thing ever I dunno what on earth they do to it here but it's foul!!! if you crave decent mayo go to Coles they sell Hellmans but it's something like $7 a jar!! I still buy it every now and again as a treat to myself!!

Food is a big issue for me here and one thing I often get friends and family to send me parcels of eBay is another great source for the desperate there are tonnes of British food shops on there so obviously there are a lot of us Brits that miss our food in this country!!

Guest siamsusie
Your post made me smile as I know exactly what you mean I have no real answers for you I'm afraid I am as puzzled as you. The bacon god knows what that is about but it doesn't taste that bad if you cremate it! lol As for sausages there are apparently in Sydney British food shops that have meat in it maybe they are your only hope for decent sausages I tend to try and buy beef sausages just as like you say god knows what meat that is in the other ones but it tastes disgusting failing that most supermarkets sell HP well Woolworths definately do just drown your sausages in that it makes any bacon and sausage taste good!! as for the chocolate it is a lost cause i'm afraid someone told me it is the milk in this country that makes Cadbury's taste different I dunno if this is true but it is so horrible compared to home. If you like Galaxy chocolate then buy Dove chocolate as it is the same thing just different names again there are British sweet shops in Sydney if you are craving some decent chocolate but it will cost you a fortune!

Small tip stay away from the mayonaise in this country it is the most disgusting thing ever I dunno what on earth they do to it here but it's foul!!! if you crave decent mayo go to Coles they sell Hellmans but it's something like $7 a jar!! I still buy it every now and again as a treat to myself!!

Food is a big issue for me here and one thing I often get friends and family to send me parcels of eBay is another great source for the desperate there are tonnes of British food shops on there so obviously there are a lot of us Brits that miss our food in this country!!

Have you tried S & W Mayonnaise, (look for a blue lid) it is the closest I have come to Hellmans, and inexpensive and delicious .. (Obtainable at both Coles & Woolworths)

I dont know where you are but I find the local butcher's sausages are excellent, I personally cant fault them.

Delighted to see things are improving for you:hug:

Susie x

Thomy mayonnaise from Coles is lovely. Much better than that Hellmans crap.

I think the bacon is cured or semi cured, probably to stop it going off and i find it lovely and its great to have huge strips of bacon too. I've not found gammon or a decent pasty

Guest mcginlm72
Have you tried S & W Mayonnaise, it is the closest I have come to Hellmans, and inexpensive and delicious .. (Obtainable at both Coles & Woolworths)

I dont know where you are but I find the local butcher's sausages are excellent, I personally cant fault them.

Delighted to see things are improving for you:hug:

Susie x

Thanks for the mayo tip I will definately try it out as it has become a bit of a personal mission for me to find a decent mayo as I love my tuna and mayo sandwiches and my partner has a fit everytime he sees Hellmans in the fridge as he knows how much it costs!! lol! As for sausages I have started to just experiment with all different flavours just as "normal" ones aren't that nice to me but when we do have them I just make sure I have the HP to hand but I will maybe look into our butchers I have mostly just bought from the supermarkets just cos it has been easier.

As for things improving I do feel like I have turned a big corner in my battle with living in Australia and I have to say I feel great about that as it is about bloody time!!! lol

Guest siamsusie
Thanks for the mayo tip I will definately try it out as it has become a bit of a personal mission for me to find a decent mayo as I love my tuna and mayo sandwiches and my partner has a fit everytime he sees Hellmans in the fridge as he knows how much it costs!! lol! As for sausages I have started to just experiment with all different flavours just as "normal" ones aren't that nice to me but when we do have them I just make sure I have the HP to hand but I will maybe look into our butchers I have mostly just bought from the supermarkets just cos it has been easier.

As for things improving I do feel like I have turned a big corner in my battle with living in Australia and I have to say I feel great about that as it is about bloody time!!! lol

:laugh::laugh:When I first came to Australia there must have been 12 bottles of mayonnaise in the fridge that I had brought and found very very :mad:, but I persisted in my mission until I found a Hellmans "taste alike":jiggy:... its great for our tuna sandwiches.. come back and tap me on the wrist if I am wrong.:huh:.

Yes try the butchers , ours do an amazing array of sausages and bacon (all home made and cured) maybe also try their chilli snags as well:tongue:.

This is what the forum is for on your off days, having a good moan or cry, there is always someone around who understands.:hug:

A nice wee gift to the Postie etc at Christmas time has you friends for life as well:laugh:!

Take care and keep posting it can be most therapeutic on occasions:embarrassed:.

Susie xx

Guest guest30038

S&W is yummy but 9 bucks for mayo?...............There's only me allowed to eat it and the rest of the mob have to stick to Praise :biglaugh:

Actually, it's on special at Coles atm so I think I'll stock up :yes: That's if there's room in the pantry.............we've all taken a shine to heinz barbeque flavoured beans which were on special last week at a dollar a tin.................I bought 30 tins! :goofy: :biglaugh:

Guest mcginlm72
S&W is yummy but 9 bucks for mayo?...............There's only me allowed to eat it and the rest of the mob have to stick to Praise :biglaugh:

Actually, it's on special at Coles atm so I think I'll stock up :yes: That's if there's room in the pantry.............we've all taken a shine to heinz barbeque flavoured beans which were on special last week at a dollar a tin.................I bought 30 tins! :goofy: :biglaugh:

Is it really $9 a jar for S&W that is dearer than Hellmans will still look it up though and see what our local store is selling it for! As for BBQ flavoured beans 30 jars! I hope you have good air con eating all those beans!! :laugh:

Guest guest30038
Is it really $9 a jar for S&W that is dearer than Hellmans will still look it up though and see what our local store is selling it for! As for BBQ flavoured beans 30 jars! I hope you have good air con eating all those beans!! :laugh:

It's worth it IMHO..............it's better then Hellmans.................pricewise, that's for a jar much bigger than hellmans.

eat baked beans, they're good for your heart

the more you eat, the more you fart

the more you fart the better you feel

so eat baked beans at every meal

kev...........remembering school dinners :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
Not the freakin' sausages again! :rolleyes:

sausagedog-1.gif

Could have been a hell of a lot worse Kev, the OP could have mentioned the price of Lemons,:shocked:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

I agree about S & W mayo I bought about 6 jars a couple of months ago when they had it half price at coles, it is very nice, I love it with chips too.

Always check the catalogues for all the specials you get great deals and can bulk up, they also have a doulbe deckers at Woolies i was excited about that and they are only $1.29.

Cheers Laney xx

I will stick my fine pence worth in....

Bacon was yummy in oz, nice thick rashers, didn't shrink when you cooked it not like our bacon here, which shrinks to nothing, Sausages were okish, but then again i do like the big meaty ones fresh from the butcher, not these thin skinny ones lol, as for chocolate, mmm thats a bit more tricky as i am a galaxy lover, the only thing that i didn't really like in oz was the tubs of ice cream bleugh`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cute:

Guest mcginlm72
I will stick my fine pence worth in....

Bacon was yummy in oz, nice thick rashers, didn't shrink when you cooked it not like our bacon here, which shrinks to nothing, Sausages were okish, but then again i do like the big meaty ones fresh from the butcher, not these thin skinny ones lol, as for chocolate, mmm thats a bit more tricky as i am a galaxy lover, the only thing that i didn't really like in oz was the tubs of ice cream bleugh`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cute:

I have to agree about the bacon even though it does look more like ham it doesn't shrink like bacon back home but I like my crispy thin bacon so I tend to just cook the hell out of it here!! I too am a Galaxy lover never been a Cadbury fan but soon discovered Dove which is Galaxy. As for the ice-cream I have to say I have never really noticed any difference except the ice cream vans there ice cream is different but I still didn't mind it.

Guest siamsusie

You people have got to be bloody kidding aren't you ??? If you don't like it try making your own. It's not difficult. Primary ingredients are oil,eggs and lemon juice. I really can't believe what some of you lot whinge about.

:elvis:Well if I want a quick tuna sandwich, I cannot imagine whisking up the mayo to be frank. The poster wasnt whinging, she was and is open to advice where to buy substitutes as is her right:cute:.

Susie