Bacon, sausages and chocolate

Guest OnlineMarketer30

The point about Aus is that English people built the country 200 yrs ago, we brought the first beer here, we reared the first cows, we sowed the first salad seeds! So you would expect most methods of food production to be the same - you would not think the same of somewhere like China or Africa because mostly, they have developed completely seperate cultures. This is why I find it strange that almost everything is the same aside from, IMO, they miss out big time on some of the finest things that could be so simple to produce.

:biglaugh:

How Naive are you?

Britain may have colonized Australia but thats where it ends, but then again you lot are Italian aren't you? It was the Romans that invaded and turned you lot from savages

Guest Guest31881
Hi all

Well I've been in Sydney 3 weeks and loving it but there's a few things I need to address in the way of food!

1. What's with the bacon here? It appears to be cooked - i.e it looks like ham, the same shade of pinreally k. Whereas, we all know that Danish bacon at home looks raw and more like pork. It's putting me off buying it, what's the reason for this?? Pork and other meat in Coles or whatever looks normal.

All bacon here is cured, they are not alone in this, Canada also sells mostly cured bacon, I think it is because in the UK and some other countries we breed different types of pigs for pork and bacon. Most countries only breed a pork pig.

2. Sausages - they are non existant. I feel the need to tell all Aussies their sausages are disgusting, processed, not even pork, who knows what they are?! Anyone know where I can get a normal sausage?! I asked a guy for a sausage and bacon roll the other day and he looked at me like I was stupid!

Sausages can be found, look for a butcher who makes his own, they will normally have a home made sausage that has flavor.

3. Oh no, why are Cadburys embarrassing us like this over here!! It says Cadburys on the packets but what I taste inside makes me sad! What's going on?? Am I ever going to taste real dairy milk again?? I cant understand why all other countries in the world can't make chocolate like we do. They have all the ingredients!! Sure, Belgium and Switzerland have a good go but no one else, and I've been to a fair few countries, produces choc like us. Why oh why??

Different sugars and designed not to melt, But if you look for the specialty type Cadbury you may well find UK Cadbury products (Cadbury cream eggs is one)

Also, why is everything so bloody expensive here!! What a rip off - small bottle of water (in one of the hottest countries on Earth) $3... what the??

You can get cheaper water, also buy a bottle and refill it yourself. I have an insulated water bottle that will keep water cold for hours,

Cheers

I hope some of these answers help you understand

Guest OnlineMarketer30
:biglaugh:

How Naive are you?

Britain may have colonized Australia but thats where it ends, but then again you lot are Italian aren't you? It was the Romans that invaded and turned you lot from savages

On the contrary, how naive are YOU?! Are you saying that we didnt bring the first beers and farm animals?! Are you also saying all Brits come from Rome?? You must never have heard of Celts, Saxons, Vikings etc Indiginous Brits werent savages - thats something the Romans made up to justify invasion, its well known through history this kind of thing happens. In fact, they were some of the most advance people in the world in the way of ceremonies, housing and farming. So how silly have you made yourself look. Why would you even talk like that on this forum!

OK thanks, its not the point I'm making in this post and you are right, I am trying to understand the reasons for this... hence my post!?! Sorry to be blunt, this is the entire reason I'm on a site like this, so I can learn from people who are in the same situation. I'm not on here to be told "it's not going to be like the UK/ if you dont like it go home etc", I know it is different, I am well travelled, I do want to try new things, new food, new experiences but the world grows and progresses by others learning and teaching others and I happen to believe that some English things are the best in the world - maybe some Aussie things are too. As was mentioned earlier, we have refined things such as food over thousands of years - so maybe our way is best? The point about Aus is that English people built the country 200 yrs ago, we brought the first beer here, we reared the first cows, we sowed the first salad seeds! So you would expect most methods of food production to be the same - you would not think the same of somewhere like China or Africa because mostly, they have developed completely seperate cultures. This is why I find it strange that almost everything is the same aside from, IMO, they miss out big time on some of the finest things that could be so simple to produce.

To take up your train of thought about food production... methods might be the same in many respects but the climate is what changes it all I would think. Although sheep are raised in Australia, my understanding is its not a large market for lamb as you might then expect. Cattle/beef seems to be the main 4 legged meat supply for whatever reason. So things like sausages are predominantly beef based.

The heat, suitable conditions for crops and grazing would make it very different for farming and so the Aussie farmers and therefore the market they sell to would have adapted over many years. Australia is still in some respects playing catch up to the rest of the western world. For many years it really wasn't a place many people went to. It was unreachable. Its only the last what, 20, 30 or so years its really started changing and becoming a more fasionable place to visit or live. In some ways it still is slower in terms of trends, fashions and so on. But is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

We've honed things here the past 2000 years, but even the UK is changing now. Its a very different country to the one I grew up in in the 70's (but I won't bore you with that tale of woe :cute: ) And it doesn't mean Australia should carry on with it, well, I don't think so anyways. They are their own nation and as many (former) British colonies they have adapted and being so far from the UK, the influence of Britain has waned, not strengthened. I don't know, I think we cannot expect Australia to retain things about the UK we would like/expect. They have embraced many factors from Asia into their diets also. Far more than we do in the UK as the influence is closer. Have you seen the foodhalls with all the stands? I didn't know which to pick, but mostly it was Asian cuisine.

I'll take cured meat. Its sold a lot in Aussie. But its something that is done more in hotter countries over cooler climes. Spain, Portugal, Italy... they all eat large amounts of cured meat. As was said, it works for hotter climates.

Ah, I can't explain more. I'm trying but its not working. Still, its got me thinking :)

Guest OnlineMarketer30
I hope some of these answers help you understand

thanks for the info - pigs are pigs though, they just need to learn to stop curing the bacon here! Also, stop smoking the ham! :biggrin:

Just so everyone knows, I dont buy bottled water, I was using the price of it as an example to show how expensive things are - bottled water being something you would expect to be cheaper than $2.

Anyone tasted a real sausage from the UK? I swear if Aussies tasted them, there would have to be a sausage amnesty here, where all supermarket shelves would be cleared of what they think are sausages to make way for some Richmonds. mmm

By the way, I'm not hankering for UK food, I am just mystified as to why anyone would think Aussie sausages are better!

Another one that gets my goat is why is Aussie wine more expensive here than at home?! I've discovered buying boxes is cheaper but surely bottled Australian wine bought in Sydney should be cheaper than botted Australian wine in the UK?!

On the contrary, how naive are YOU?! Are you saying that we didnt bring the first beers and farm animals?!

Sorry where did I say that?

So what you are saying is that only the British have influenced Australia just because they brought farm animals and beer.... That over 200 years we have not been intelligent enough to make things to OUR tastes and needs. That other nationalities have not brought their culture and food to Australia. That we only have thee British to thank LOL And you call me Naive :wacko:

Are you also saying all Brits come from Rome??

No, the Romans invaded England as Britain invaded Australia. The British took what they wanted from Rome and evolved as the Australians have evolved from English practises.

So how silly have you made yourself look.

Not half as silly as yourself

Guest OnlineMarketer30
Sorry where did I say that?

So what you are saying is that only the British have influenced Australia just because they brought farm animals and beer.... That over 200 years we have not been intelligent enough to make things to OUR tastes and needs. That other nationalities have not brought their culture and food to Australia. That we only have thee British to thank LOL And you call me Naive :wacko:

No, the Romans invaded England as Britain invaded Australia. The British took what they wanted from Rome and evolved as the Australians have evolved from English practises.

Not half as silly as yourself

I havent made myself look silly at all, you have by being completely ignorant as to how history has gone and calling British people savages - how rude, on St. Georges Day of all days. Stick to commenting on something you know about love

Guest Guest31881
thanks for the info - pigs are pigs though, they just need to learn to stop curing the bacon here! Also, stop smoking the ham! :biggrin:

So, pigs are pigs, . OK, i give up, you obviously are not interested in answers, just ways of moaning. Good luck with your life in Australia, I hope you get responses to all your questions.

Why because you say so? :notworthy:

Anyone tasted a real sausage from the UK? I swear if Aussies tasted them, there would have to be a sausage amnesty here, where all supermarket shelves would be cleared of what they think are sausages to make way for some Richmonds. mmm

Richmonds are real sausages? :biglaugh: Lord give me strength

Guest guest17301

I have found that once you have a look around the sausage and bacon are just as good as in the UK. Cheap crap is cheap crap whatever country you live in. You just have to pay a bit more.

I havent made myself look silly at all, you have by being completely ignorant as to how history has gone and calling British people savages - how rude, on St. Georges Day of all days. Stick to commenting on something you know about love

Where was I wrong?

Your quote here "thats something the Romans made up to justify invasion" see a part of history! seems I do know my stuff

BTW it maybe st georges day in england but not in Australia :wink:

Guest OnlineMarketer30
Why because you say so? :notworthy:

why not? give it a go, you guys might like it!

Richmonds are real sausages? :biglaugh: Lord give me strength

yeah Richmonds are awesome. Not as good as Simpsons but you cant even get them in England any more [sigh]

Guest OnlineMarketer30
Poor bugger, hope your tastebuds come back, no wonder you cant taste anything :hug:

OK thanks lol, ever thought it could be you who have a strange sense of taste?! Nah, never look at yourself eh! ;-) Ahh well carry on living in that bubble

Guest OnlineMarketer30
So, pigs are pigs, . OK, i give up, you obviously are not interested in answers, just ways of moaning. Good luck with your life in Australia, I hope you get responses to all your questions.

are you joking?? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, it's not my fault if you come back with something like 'it's the type of pig!' Yes, there are different pigs but it's not the cut, its the method of curing/preparation. Also the pigs here are the same as the Danish ones.

Right, this isn't opinion anymore, it's a fact that there is no better bacon in the world than Danish back bacon. I've eaten bacon all over the world and know this to be true. Its bizarre Aussies dont have it. Thats all I'm saying here. It's the equivalent of the rich and famous driving round in beat up old Hyundai's. Why have cotton when you can have silk? You expect it in places like America where they just want fat and salt but Aus has so much nice food, its a shame they are missing out.

Dont reply saying ' thats your opinion', I'm telling you that Bacon, Sausage and Choc is inferior in Aus. Thereas some other things too but lets not get into that...

Oh well. Everything else here is great!:biggrin:

are you joking?? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, it's not my fault if you come back with something like 'it's the type of pig!' Yes, there are different pigs but it's not the cut, its the method of curing/preparation. Also the pigs here are the same as the Danish ones.

Right, this isn't opinion anymore, it's a fact that there is no better bacon in the world than Danish back bacon. I've eaten bacon all over the world and know this to be true. Its bizarre Aussies dont have it. Thats all I'm saying here. It's the equivalent of the rich and famous driving round in beat up old Hyundai's. Why have cotton when you can have silk? You expect it in places like America where they just want fat and salt but Aus has so much nice food, its a shame they are missing out.

Dont reply saying ' thats your opinion', I'm telling you that Bacon, Sausage and Choc is inferior in Aus. Thereas some other things too but lets not get into that...

Oh well. Everything else here is great!:biggrin:

God has spoken :notworthy:

85c for water in Coles?? It's over $2 at least for the smallest bottle in my local Coles, in Bondi Junction...

Just wondering about the bacon, why do they cook it like ham instead of selling it uncooked like us? seems strange...

in my opinion Cadbury chocolate is crap here, and it is in UK too. Best chocolate for me is Whittakers, especially the 80%,

Guest siamsusie

Just so everyone knows, I dont buy bottled water, I was using the price of it as an example to show how expensive things are - bottled water being something you would expect to be cheaper than $2.

By the way, I'm not hankering for UK food, I am just mystified as to why anyone would think Aussie sausages are better!

Another one that gets my goat is why is Aussie wine more expensive here than at home?! I've discovered buying boxes is cheaper but surely bottled Australian wine bought in Sydney should be cheaper than botted Australian wine in the UK?!

I used to eat home made sausages in London, a great butcher! I eat the same home made sausages from equally good butcher but at half the price now.

I buy some excellent wines here from our local wineries.. $5 - $10 .. I loath cardboard box wine, its full of preservatives and of course Grays on Line deliver me some wonderful wines which cost a pittance.

Spiritis are expensive though but I can live with that!

Guest chris955

I hate Australian eggs, they are totally inferior in every way to UK eggs, I blame the chickens. I should add though that apparently Tasmanian eggs are the best in the world and only $1 a dozen with free delivery :biggrin:

Ok - I just wanna know - before this thread turns into all out war - does anyone have a problem with the eggs?

Guest OnlineMarketer30
I used to eat home made sausages in London, a great butcher! I eat the same home made sausages from equally good butcher but at half the price now.

I buy some excellent wines here from our local wineries.. $5 - $10 .. I loath cardboard box wine, its full of preservatives and of course Grays on Line deliver me some wonderful wines which cost a pittance.

Spiritis are expensive though but I can live with that!

thanks, may I ask what sausages you are asking for in the butchers?

cheers