Bacon, sausages and chocolate

Guest OnlineMarketer30

Guest OnlineMarketer30

Hi all

Well I've been in Sydney 3 weeks and loving it but there's a few things I need to address in the way of food!

1. What's with the bacon here? It appears to be cooked - i.e it looks like ham, the same shade of pinreally k. Whereas, we all know that Danish bacon at home looks raw and more like pork. It's putting me off buying it, what's the reason for this?? Pork and other meat in Coles or whatever looks normal.

2. Sausages - they are non existant. I feel the need to tell all Aussies their sausages are disgusting, processed, not even pork, who knows what they are?! Anyone know where I can get a normal sausage?! I asked a guy for a sausage and bacon roll the other day and he looked at me like I was stupid!

3. Oh no, why are Cadburys embarrassing us like this over here!! It says Cadburys on the packets but what I taste inside makes me sad! What's going on?? Am I ever going to taste real dairy milk again?? I cant understand why all other countries in the world can't make chocolate like we do. They have all the ingredients!! Sure, Belgium and Switzerland have a good go but no one else, and I've been to a fair few countries, produces choc like us. Why oh why??

Also, why is everything so bloody expensive here!! What a rip off - small bottle of water (in one of the hottest countries on Earth) $3... what the??

Cheers

Guest Drop Bear

Couldn't agree more.

I've found that although some things are higher quality (coffee for example - or it is in Melbourne), the lack of "proper" bacon is seriously depressing, superfood that it is. Especially given that a lot of the beer of here is pretty filthy - after a few pints of Carlton or VB you really need a decent bacon sandwich to cheer you up the next day......

Guest guest30038
Couldn't agree more.

I've found that although some things are higher quality (coffee for example - or it is in Melbourne), the lack of "proper" bacon is seriously depressing, superfood that it is. Especially given that a lot of the beer of here is pretty filthy - after a few pints of Carlton or VB you really need a decent bacon sandwich to cheer you up the next day......

If you've been on VB, I reckon the old finger down the throat jobby would be the quickest way to cheer you up

128941322845214379.jpg

Guest OnlineMarketer30

not tried the VB as I'm not a huge bitter drinker but the Tooheys, Blonde, Coopers and Crown are pretty decent lagers.

getting back to the sausages for a sec, why don't aussies sort it out!?

Hi all

Well I've been in Sydney 3 weeks and loving it but there's a few things I need to address in the way of food!

1. What's with the bacon here? It appears to be cooked - i.e it looks like ham, the same shade of pinreally k. Whereas, we all know that Danish bacon at home looks raw and more like pork. It's putting me off buying it, what's the reason for this?? Pork and other meat in Coles or whatever looks normal.

2. Sausages - they are non existant. I feel the need to tell all Aussies their sausages are disgusting, processed, not even pork, who knows what they are?! Anyone know where I can get a normal sausage?! I asked a guy for a sausage and bacon roll the other day and he looked at me like I was stupid!

3. Oh no, why are Cadburys embarrassing us like this over here!! It says Cadburys on the packets but what I taste inside makes me sad! What's going on?? Am I ever going to taste real dairy milk again?? I cant understand why all other countries in the world can't make chocolate like we do. They have all the ingredients!! Sure, Belgium and Switzerland have a good go but no one else, and I've been to a fair few countries, produces choc like us. Why oh why??

Also, why is everything so bloody expensive here!! What a rip off - small bottle of water (in one of the hottest countries on Earth) $3... what the??

Cheers

1. Bacon - not sure what the problem is there. When I ate bacon (am semi veggie these days) it tasted great.

2. There are PLENTY of places to find pork sausages - even the supermarkets sell them these days.

3. The reason that chocolate tastes different is because it has an extra ingredient to stop it melting so easy in the warmer Australian climate.

4. Where are you buying water??!!! Coles 600ml bottle 85 cents........

• Like 2

Guest guest36762

I like sausages from the continental butchers, local butchers, and even at a meat superstore (in our case Tasman) in Geelong. IMO as good as anything in the UK. Don't bother with coles/woolies as they're crap. My favourites are chevups, chorizo and good old pork sausages.

bacon I get from anywhere and cook the sh6t out of it and it tastes great

beer, yeah it's expensive...try Aldi

chocolate, WTF? is it that bad?

Guest OnlineMarketer30

85c for water in Coles?? It's over $2 at least for the smallest bottle in my local Coles, in Bondi Junction...

Just wondering about the bacon, why do they cook it like ham instead of selling it uncooked like us? seems strange...

85c for water in Coles?? It's over $2 at least for the smallest bottle in my local Coles, in Bondi Junction...

Just wondering about the bacon, why do they cook it like ham instead of selling it uncooked like us? seems strange...

just for you.....

water.jpg

water.jpg

Guest siamsusie

Never had a problem with bacon here, it actually crisps up unlike the watery UK version.

All home cured at our local butcher as are his sausages.. chilli & beef are gorgeous.

Choccie ... Lindt chilli choccolate is gorgeous and we have so many private choccie concerns here in Tasmania, as we do private breweries.

I dont buy bottled water, I drink rain water pmsl... lovely soft taste.

Chorizo sausages or any of the South African, German type only ones I like.

Bacon must admit I hated the raw stuff in the UK last year. :laugh:

Chocolate does not have as much sugar as we are more healthy :laugh:

You get used to it.

Guest chris955

We definitely miss the sausages and bacon. The latter seems to have improved lately but it's not a patch on Danish :biggrin:

Guest OnlineMarketer30

thanks for the info :-) Yes, have settled in well so far, still feels a bit strange but I'm getting used to it slowly...

So you move half way across the world and some of the food is different from the UK - imagine! Doesn't bother me a jot, I love trying new food, and the relatively low price of steak pleases me no end. Part of my Aus research has been looking at Woolworths etc online, and I'm chuffed to see chorizo sausages widely available - I ate 'em for my brekkie in Barcelona, much nicer than bland, plain ole pork sossies.

As for bottled water, even if it's expensive where we end up I don't care, I have a couple of aluminium water bottles I just fill from the tap here at home, saves a few quid here and there.

Another part of our research has been buying VB from Tesco (£5 for 6, ace!) and quaffing it ice cold in the garden on unseasonally warm and sunny afternoons. Love it, it's not bitter at all, just a refreshing lager.

• Like 1

My mum has the best bacon - I think she got it from the butchers counter at Coles.

Sausages - you get what you pay for.

As for bottled water - try keeping the empty bottle and fill it up from the tap.

Chocolate sucks - I'm with you there.

VB isn't bitter - don't know why they call it bitter.

Guest guest30038

Goes back to the old days of little regrigeration when all meats were cured. If you're a born and bred Ausie then you wouldn't notice any difference as their bacon has always been like that, and you would have developed a taste for it that way and likely find UK bacon "funny."

Same with the cooked meats "corned" means pickled, and not corned as in corned beef.

It's Australia not the UK. You either accept the way things are, or you'll have a miserable existence here.

If you're looking for "boiled ham" you'll also be dissapointed there. Nearly all the hams have an element of smoking to them and all are aleady cooked. If you want boiled, then buy a ham, rinse it well, remove the rind, and bake it in the oven (covered) with a good amount of water for about 2 hrs (6 kilo ham).............it's actually steaming not baking.............removes a good deal of the salt and the smoke. You can take it out after 90 minutes if you so wish, score the fat into squares, and baste it with marmalade or honey, (I cover it with slices of orange stuck on with toothpicks and also glazed) and pop it back in for another 30 mins if you want it to be sweetened and look like roast ham.

Adapt and survive......................happily :yes:

My guests are having ham this easter.....................7kilos of it for $35 along with 4 kilos of Moreton Bay prawns for $20 and mud crabs that I caught myself......................yes....................Australia's expensive......................I'm told :rolleyes:

Goes back to the old days of little regrigeration when all meats were cured. If you're a born and bred Ausie then you wouldn't notice any difference as their bacon has always been like that, and you would have developed a taste for it that way and likely find UK bacon "funny."

Same with the cooked meats "corned" means pickled, and not corned as in corned beef.

It's Australia not the UK. You either accept the way things are, or you'll have a miserable existence here.

If you're looking for "boiled ham" you'll also be dissapointed there. Nearly all the hams have an element of smoking to them and all are aleady cooked. If you want boiled, then buy a ham, rinse it well, remove the rind, and bake it in the oven (covered) with a good amount of water for about 2 hrs (6 kilo ham).............it's actually steaming not baking.............removes a good deal of the salt and the smoke. You can take it out after 90 minutes if you so wish, score the fat into squares, and baste it with marmalade or honey, (I cover it with slices of orange stuck on with toothpicks and also glazed) and pop it back in for another 30 mins if you want it to be sweetened and look like roast ham.

Adapt and survive......................happily :yes:

My guests are having ham this easter.....................7kilos of it for $35 along with 4 kilos of Moreton Bay prawns for $20 and mud crabs that I caught myself......................yes....................Australia's expensive......................I'm told :rolleyes:

That's not the point Kev. The English way is the correct way, the only way as a matter of fact! This process has been going on for 100's of years..... :policeman:

:rolleyes:

Try soaking and baking it in Coca Cola (not diet) rather than water - you will never look back.

http://lukehoney.typepad.com/the_greasy_spoon/2009/11/cocacola-ham.html

Ah the differences of living in another country :cute: Really, you cannot move overseas and expect it to be like the UK. I'd not expect it of France, Thailand, Japan or Lichtenstein so why expect it of Australia? Because they speak English and have ties with the UK? Or something else?

Honestly, there will be more than this to bother you I am sure :tongue: It takes time to adjust and understand the reasons for things like you listed. Try to learn more about why these things are different as I've found there usually are good reasons.

I was the same with the chocolate. Tastes very different because of the added ingredients to stop it melting I was told. But I simply stopped buying Cadbury's and bought locally made stuff instead which was far superior to UK and Aussie Cadburys. And I would beg to differ as I think the Belgians and Swiss make far better chocolate than the Brits. UK chocolate, Cadbury and so on is nowhere near as good quality wise. Just its what you are used to on the mass market there.

Sausages - Many Aussies don't eat pork sausages. At least hubby tells me this. He was surprised coming here to the UK seeing mostly pork sausages in stores. He has been brought up on beef and chicken. Mostly beef sausages though. Took him a while to adjust but he has :) And like others said, you can find pork ones or things closer to what you are used to if you shop around. I bought some camel sausages to try and they were great. The croc ones made me a bit :unsure: but the croc steak was way better :biggrin:

I guess my advice would be to stop comparing. Its often a sure fire way to find yourself homesick or not settling because you keep hankering for what you left behind. Embrace the differences, give new things a try or if you really can't live without a taste of the UK then shop around, spend a bit of time online tracking down what it is you want and splash the cash. And see if it scratches the itch a bit.

Ah the differences of living in another country :cute: Really, you cannot move overseas and expect it to be like the UK. I'd not expect it of France, Thailand, Japan or Lichtenstein so why expect it of Australia? Because they speak English and have ties with the UK? Or something else?

Honestly, there will be more than this to bother you I am sure :tongue: It takes time to adjust and understand the reasons for things like you listed. Try to learn more about why these things are different as I've found there usually are good reasons.

I was the same with the chocolate. Tastes very different because of the added ingredients to stop it melting I was told. But I simply stopped buying Cadbury's and bought locally made stuff instead which was far superior to UK and Aussie Cadburys. And I would beg to differ as I think the Belgians and Swiss make far better chocolate than the Brits. UK chocolate, Cadbury and so on is nowhere near as good quality wise. Just its what you are used to on the mass market there.

Sausages - Many Aussies don't eat pork sausages. At least hubby tells me this. He was surprised coming here to the UK seeing mostly pork sausages in stores. He has been brought up on beef and chicken. Mostly beef sausages though. Took him a while to adjust but he has :) And like others said, you can find pork ones or things closer to what you are used to if you shop around. I bought some camel sausages to try and they were great. The croc ones made me a bit :unsure: but the croc steak was way better :biggrin:

I guess my advice would be to stop comparing. Its often a sure fire way to find yourself homesick or not settling because you keep hankering for what you left behind. Embrace the differences, give new things a try or if you really can't live without a taste of the UK then shop around, spend a bit of time online tracking down what it is you want and splash the cash. And see if it scratches the itch a bit.

Yep like the mail and mailmen oops I mean mail people :policeman:

Guest OnlineMarketer30

OK thanks, its not the point I'm making in this post and you are right, I am trying to understand the reasons for this... hence my post!?! Sorry to be blunt, this is the entire reason I'm on a site like this, so I can learn from people who are in the same situation. I'm not on here to be told "it's not going to be like the UK/ if you dont like it go home etc", I know it is different, I am well travelled, I do want to try new things, new food, new experiences but the world grows and progresses by others learning and teaching others and I happen to believe that some English things are the best in the world - maybe some Aussie things are too. As was mentioned earlier, we have refined things such as food over thousands of years - so maybe our way is best? The point about Aus is that English people built the country 200 yrs ago, we brought the first beer here, we reared the first cows, we sowed the first salad seeds! So you would expect most methods of food production to be the same - you would not think the same of somewhere like China or Africa because mostly, they have developed completely seperate cultures. This is why I find it strange that almost everything is the same aside from, IMO, they miss out big time on some of the finest things that could be so simple to produce.