Hosepipe ban, what a joke, do you have the same in oz

Guest Mallam

Guest Mallam

So the water companies lose billions of gallons of water a year because they will not spend and we the public have to let our lawns and gardens die :embarrassed:.

What goes on in oz? do you have hosepipe bans most years?

Hosepipe ban warning after early hot weather

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8436979/Hosepipe-ban-warning-after-early-hot-weather.html

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest 47403

It's absolutely ridiculous in the UK, you can understand a country with the climate of Oz having water restrictions but a few days of warm weather and already there planning the bans.

Not only does the country and economy grind to a halt after a bit of snow we have to put up with water shortages!

Guest Mallam
It's absolutely ridiculous in the UK, you can understand a country with the climate of Oz having water restrictions but a few days of warm weather and already there planning the bans.

Not only does the country and economy grind to a halt after a bit of snow we have to put up with water shortages!

Agree, even though we have seen no rain for about 6 weeks in Kent it makes you wonder what will happen if this hot weather we are having lasts another month or so :eek: no cups ot tea :biglaugh: a bit of snow and the Country comes to a standstill where places like stockholm who get twice the snow have no problems.

Guest chris955

I've never heard that but I have heard people up here in Queensland refer to 20 as cold though :biggrin:

What amazes me is that they can call 20 degrees HOT WEATHER!

We still have water restrictions in place in Melbourne at stage 2

Stage 2, originally announced on 1 September 2010, will remain in effect and continues to provide Melburnians with flexibility in watering their gardens. For veggie gardeners or those with extra thirsty plants, you can use a watering can, bucket or trigger nozzle as needed.

For those with manual watering systems – they can be used between 6 am – 8 am and 8 pm – 10 pm on your watering day.

For those with automatic watering systems – they can be used between midnight and 4 am on your watering day.

Remember, lawns cannot be watered at any time with drinking water.

See below for how Stage 2 gives you the choice to wash your car at home, top up pools via a trigger nozzle, fill child-sized play pools and for other important rules to remember. etc etc.

We need to keep up with where we are at with water restrictions.

We have just come of much harsher restrictions which were in place for several years.

Like Furkew said water tanks are a god send. QLD has been on restrictions more or less since we arrived so taking care with water becomes second nature. There was a whisper in the media this week about cancelling all restrictions for a while but im not sure that will materialise.

Cal x

Guest peacock

Reading the posts from the good folk that live in the UK, i get the distinct impression its not getting any better there, infact it sounds as if the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Guest chris955

Pretty much the same here, the infrastructure is old and isn't being upgraded so burst mains and lost water are a constant issue. Now the water has been privatized it has virtually doubled in price so we are far more careful and despite the incredible amount of rain We have had restrictions are still in place.

So the water companies lose billions of gallons of water a year because they will not spend and we the public have to let our lawns and gardens die :embarrassed:.

What goes on in oz? do you have hosepipe bans most years?

Hosepipe ban warning after early hot weather

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8436979/Hosepipe-ban-warning-after-early-hot-weather.html

Yup when you are in drought the water restrictions stretch beyond a hosepipe ban. 3 minute showers (nice little "do the right thing" notices) no watering the garden or washing the car etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_restrictions_in_Australia we now have permanent restrictions even though the dams are full. Water tanks are indeed the way to go and under a certain size you dont even need planning permission for them

Reading the posts from the good folk that live in the UK, i get the distinct impression its not getting any better there, infact it sounds as if the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Yeah a hosepipe ban, that's it the country is doooomed.

I actually think its far more bizarre that a place like Sydney could ever have a hosepipe ban, there is far rainfall in a year than you get in Manchester, a little fact people don't seem to realise.

Guest chris955

I don't know about everywhere as with everything it varies from state to state but we are now metered. Water was privatized a little while ago and surprise surprise it has just about doubled in price.

How do you pay for your water in OZ is it a standard rate or metered?

Guest peacock

I actually think its far more bizarre that a place like Sydney could ever have a hosepipe ban, there is far rainfall in a year than you get in Manchester, a little fact people don't seem to realise.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/21/weather-uk-london-easter-sun

Yes it certainly doesnt look good !

Guest chris955

This is how it starts, first it's hosepipe bans the the jam disappears from doughnuts, soon they will only be able to have one windscreen wiper per car.

Guest peacock

Yes, bad managment, and poorly spent taxes, and unfortunately no chance of being fixed now with the UK broke.

I didn't believe this when I read it, so I googled it and your right! OMG!

LOL, Shall remember that one for a quiz night!