Time for me to fess up.... this is a hard one...

Guest roaminnomore

Guest roaminnomore

Time to be real about our journey so far...

25 January this year I got major food poisoning and nearly didn't board our flight 26 January. Landed Brisbane 28 January to a long lost friend of 28 years and met my half sister for the first time. Left Brisbane 5 February and landed Melbourne the same day (cold and wet and like being back in Manchester but after Brisbane it was a huge releif!!!). Could not collect the car because we did not have an active credit car but with the help of staff we were pointed in the right direction.

Within less than a week three of my family members had been killed in a car crash (two instantly but my father took about 12 hours to die). I can honestly say I consider myself quietly strong but the pain felt at that moment was like someone had a knife in my gut that just kept twisting. So, I floated around in my own little world for a week and had to get on with it because we have three children and we needed to find a permanent base.

Then 3 1/2 weeks later my husband goes to see a doctor, which must be serious! and we find out he has testicular cancer. My whole world came crashing down, not for me but for my children and my husband. Somehow I knew I would be fine if I had to be but why my husband, why anybody?

On the upside, he was on the operating table within 3 weeks of his first appointment at the doctors (oh, forgot to mention our insurance cover ran out just over a week prior). The company he works for has kept his job open and constantly ask if we need anything. Then on Monday one of his lymph nodes was enlarged in the back of his stomach, once again my heart sank, so bloods and Pathology, CT Scan at lake again on Tuesday another appointment at The Andrew Love Cancer Centre and good news. So an appointment was made for today for Chemotherapy, which he has had and is now resting. No major side effects yet but, he has been told he can now return to work next Wednesday.

So all in all, we landed with a bump, it has been one heck of a roller coaster ride but it is beginning to slow and I have been able to look around to begin to think about making a life for us all.

Financially, we have no one to rely on and today I met the person who has literally kept the roof over our heads. Yes, we have to pay it back but only as and when and in no hurry. When he asked if there was anything else he could do for us I was so a taken back I just wanted to cry at this persons kindness (I managed to hang on - just).

In life we have turning points that we create ourselves and turning points that are given to us, the choices we make are our responsibility. This is one lesson I have truly decided to learn from and I am going to grasp every opportunity with both hands.

Further, my children have been the best medicine I have ever received. They have been so strong, helpful and happy throughout all this. The creme de la creme was the parent/teacher consultation at school and they get rave reviews from all teachers - what more could I ask for.

I must say a huge thank you to certain PIO members. Firstly, Gilliantay for your moral support, down to earth outlook and sense of humour, further the bed which was a huge help when we had no furniture. Paul&Debs for your total support when I was low and confussed, Harpondom for you sensitive side, Pozz for your help and support with my children and Pablo for you always ever wise words. There is one other person on here whose kind words took me back but I know they like to be discreet.

So, to all that have managed to read the whole of this thread, as my Dad would have said - giving up is not an option and human kindness surprises you just when you least expect it.

Keep smiling all, reach for your dreams and follow your heart which ever side of the world it may take you.

Leila x :hug:

My heart goes out to you and your family. I am so sad to read everything you have been through, but all the way through reading it I got the feeling of what a strong beautiful woman you are. Your personality shone through in your words. Please take care and take sometime for yourself at some stage, your batteries need refuelling every now and again.

My love to you and your family x

25 January this year I got major food poisoning and nearly didn't board our flight 26 January. Landed Brisbane 28 January to a long lost friend of 28 years and met my half sister for the first time. Left Brisbane 5 February and landed Melbourne the same day (cold and wet and like being back in Manchester but after Brisbane it was a huge releif!!!). Could not collect the car because we did not have an active credit car but with the help of staff we were pointed in the right direction.

Within less than a week three of my family members had been killed in a car crash (two instantly but my father took about 12 hours to die). I can honestly say I consider myself quietly strong but the pain felt at that moment was like someone had a knife in my gut that just kept twisting. So, I floated around in my own little world for a week and had to get on with it because we have three children and we needed to find a permanent base.

Then 3 1/2 weeks later my husband goes to see a doctor, which must be serious! and we find out he has testicular cancer. My whole world came crashing down, not for me but for my children and my husband. Somehow I knew I would be fine if I had to be but why my husband, why anybody?

On the upside, he was on the operating table within 3 weeks of his first appointment at the doctors (oh, forgot to mention our insurance cover ran out just over a week prior). The company he works for has kept his job open and constantly ask if we need anything. Then on Monday one of his lymph nodes was enlarged in the back of his stomach, once again my heart sank, so bloods and Pathology, CT Scan at lake again on Tuesday another appointment at The Andrew Love Cancer Centre and good news. So an appointment was made for today for Chemotherapy, which he has had and is now resting. No major side effects yet but, he has been told he can now return to work next Wednesday.

So all in all, we landed with a bump, it has been one heck of a roller coaster ride but it is beginning to slow and I have been able to look around to begin to think about making a life for us all.

Financially, we have no one to rely on and today I met the person who has literally kept the roof over our heads. Yes, we have to pay it back but only as and when and in no hurry. When he asked if there was anything else he could do for us I was so a taken back I just wanted to cry at this persons kindness (I managed to hang on - just).

In life we have turning points that we create ourselves and turning points that are given to us, the choices we make are our responsibility. This is one lesson I have truly decided to learn from and I am going to grasp every opportunity with both hands.

Further, my children have been the best medicine I have ever received. They have been so strong, helpful and happy throughout all this. The creme de la creme was the parent/teacher consultation at school and they get rave reviews from all teachers - what more could I ask for.

I must say a huge thank you to certain PIO members. Firstly, Gilliantay for your moral support, down to earth outlook and sense of humour, further the bed which was a huge help when we had no furniture. Paul&Debs for your total support when I was low and confussed, Harpondom for you sensitive side, Pozz for your help and support with my children and Pablo for you always ever wise words. There is one other person on here whose kind words took me back but I know they like to be discreet.

So, to all that have managed to read the whole of this thread, as my Dad would have said - giving up is not an option and human kindness surprises you just when you least expect it.

Keep smiling all, reach for your dreams and follow your heart which ever side of the world it may take you.

I am in tears reading this post. I can only say you have done so well to be able get to through such a terrible few months. You have such strength, all I can say is if you were standing infront of me now, i'd want to give you a massive hug. Sending you one via the net.

Lots of Love

Donna x

Guest Guest31881

You have my full respect and admiration, I cannot express how your post has moved me. :hug::hug::hug:

Guest roaminnomore

Crickey gals and guys, now I am teary!!! Yes, been to the chemist today and bought some multivitamin with high B's, weighing myself in the morning and going for a 1 min walk, 1 min jog and so on, food has already begun to change due to a book on eating correctly for cancer BUT, my word coffee and cake are sure good here. :wink:

Crickey gals and guys, now I am teary!!! Yes, been to the chemist today and bought some multivitamin with high B's, weighing myself in the morning and going for a 1 min walk, 1 min jog and so on, food has already begun to change due to a book on eating correctly for cancer BUT, my word coffee and cake are sure good here. :wink:

Thank you lovely............................coffee and cake time again.....will phone you in morning - didn't have my phone xxxx

Guest juliemtaylor

wow such a hard start to a new life and you have done so well you wonderful strong person. I hope you continue to do well and I know these hurdles are set to test us but you will come out stronger and wiser and will find peace and happiness that you deserve. Hugs xxx

Julie x

So sorry, I had to read your post twice because I couldn't believe it the first time. So much heartache but so much courage. Hang in there, you deserve a huge slice of good fortune and I wish you well.

All the very best to you and your family

Metoo x

Guest JK2510

OMG what a start to 2011. I'm sooo sorry and shocked to hear about the low points you have encountered this year!

Things must now surely be on the up for you and your family.

Sending wishes from one side of oz to the other! X

Thx very much for that Ley,but i only said what most would say to you on here,you've been unbelievably unlucky,if thats a strong enough word,nobody deserves luck like that.

The thing that strikes me tho is how incredibly brave you've been,even when we've spoke about whats happened to you over there you have still asked how "im" doing!!

Your strength and thought for others instead of yourself amazed and still amazes me,if anyone deserves a break its you and yours Ley,because nobody should have to cope with what you've coped with on top of moving half way round the world,like i say tho your attitude and thought for others is humbling Ley,and i mean that 100%,your a credit,all the best for the future Ley.xx

Guest Guest 47403

Ley your obviously a very strong person I'm sure with you at the helm your family with thrive in Oz.

Best of luck

Baz

Guest Aussie in Scotland

Oh Leila...that is so sad....and I am so glad that the kindness was there when you needed it. I am so impressed with your resiliance. xxxxxxxxxxxx I hope you and your family have the best life in Australia. xxx

Leila

Your story has really moved me. You are a very brave person to have gone through such emotions. I would like to send you my sincere wishes for future good luck. you will be a stronger person for all of this. May you be blessed with happiness from now onwards. :hug:

Carla

Guest roaminnomore

Now I am blarting! I know things will turn out okay, it will just take time. We always knew we would have to work hard but now we are just going to have to work that little bit harder. Hubby is on the mend, emotionally (and to those that have been there you will know) there is nothing you can do about it which is the frustrating bit. Cancer controls you and you have no power to change that so you either shrink or swim - together we chose to swim. He is still my redded pain in the arse, I love him dearly just don't necasserily like him all the time!!! lol I hit the vino one particular night and eneded up skyping a dear friend in Adelaide who copped for the lot. When I woke up I felt so bad (bad head too) it turned things around and instead of just getting on with it I dealt with a few things over that week, dug deep and looked ahead realistically outcomes pending.

I have had support from PIO friends and I must apologise to those I have met and did not say a word, but I did not want to bring the tone down. Meets are so important when you are going through the process of emigrating, before and after, we are all capable of anything we set our minds to.

Thank you all for such kind words. Best wishes Ley x :smile:

Archived