Same old problem!! AQF Level III assessment!

Guest Donport

Guest Donport

Hi

First time poster to the site guys.

My head is up my *rse lately so please help!! We recently decided to apply for a visa to Oz... simple I thought?... not on your nelly!!

Same old story... partner is a plasterer over 15 years... has run his own successful plastering co the last 10+ years BUT! never got formal qualifications (like alot of plasterers in Ireland during the boom years!). So our problem is this:-

We're running out of time to apply under the old 175 Visa app process as my partner would need to get an AQF Level III qualification for Skills pathway E (since A, B or C would require a subsequent 2 years in the trade after an NVQ equivalent cert). But I'm having problems finding an AQF assessment in the UK. Also, since time is running out should we be waiting to see what happens after July 1st... if anything does actually happen as I've been reading this may not be passed until the end of the year?

I think we should get this AQF cert eitherway, as you (apparently) get the 10 points in the new points system. Part of me is thinking that we'll go to alot of trouble to get this AQF, only to be told you need 5 years on the job exp with this or something as this seems to be the story every way we have turned in our quest!! (sorry ranting there).

Sorry, to the point... can you tell me:-

A: Is there a way of getting your AQF Level III in the UK?

B: Would he be better off flying to Oz to attain this qualification?

C: Is there any point in applying for a 175 visa before July 1st (even though it may be delayed) & since the TRA take about 3 months to process?

D: Under the new points system it says you get 10 points for family sponsorship... my partner doesn't have family, but I have alot in Perth... can we use my family sponsorship for the 10 points even though he would be the main applicant?

I wouldn't even ask him to attempt the IELTS for the extra 10/20 points, his spelling is atrocious!!

I realise this is alot of questions... so if you reply... many thanks in advance!!

Are you aware that you only get family points for sponsorship to REGIONAL Oz, Meaning you can only live in the outback, family will no longer be able to sponsor you if you want to live in Perth for example,

You would prob need the IELTS to get up to 65, so level 7 at the least, (if not 8!)

You will need to get the NVQ, then Get it recognised by the Ozzy's (in my case Vetassess has just passed all me paper work) I would contact the CITB who do apprenticeships over here and ask them where he can go and do tests etc... then take it from there, no doubt someone on this site has gone down that route and could advise better...

As long as he can prove he has done 15 years i.e payslips and references can't see there being a prob getting the 15 points for that under the new system,

I personally think it will come into affect as it is on their site and seems pretty concrete, though hopefully not for those rushing!!!

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

Good luck!

Guest Donport

Oh... I didn't even register the Regional area bit... we're down to 55 points again so! Do the Australian's really have a skills shortage because I'm beginning to think not! Every way I turn we hit a brick wall:mad:

So you could do an NVQ and get it recognised by Vetass... would they convert this to an AQF? I was in contact with the TRA who said NVQ for pathway a, b or c and AQF (only) for E. A, b and c are not an option since he doesn't have 2 years after attaining this qualification (hypathetically).

IELTS definately a no no for him... unless I could take it for him!!

Thank you for your reply... I hope you achieve success yourself!!

Hi Donport,

My hubby is a plasterer too & we had the same problem. He failed with TRA twice due to lack of 5 years formal experience (he has been a plasterer 8 years & has city & guilds qualification where he studied in college for a year but that didnt make any difference as it wasnt 5 years studying!!). The only way for my hubby to pass with TRA would be to do the AQF III. My hubby passed in 2 weeks! We used a company based in the uk called Australian Skill Assessments, just type this in google & they will come up. I would highly recommend them, they communicate with you very well & help you pass the AQF III. It cost around £2,300 which is a bit of a bummer but I think they all cost around the same. We were then able to apply to TRA under pathway E as my hubby held an australian qualification. TRA passed us within 2 weeks on 15/11/10. We then had to wait a few weeks until WA opened state sponsorship & to see whether solid plastering was on the list. Thankfully it was & we applied for SS. This was approved & we have now submitted our 176 application to diac. We are now waiting for a case officer.

Good luck with your AQF.

Hayley

Guest Donport

Thanks hayley.... just wish we'd an extra few months to apply now. It looks like my sister can get a sponsorship through her job and with no kids this is the best option for her, she can then work on getting the necessary requirements for residency. I've 2 school going kids so this is not an option since its 4,500 AUD for schooling if your a non resident... back to the drawing board me thinks!!

Guest Donport

As far as I know he won't be able to step onto a building site without the AQF qualification so it is a necessity eitherway. Unfortunatley I'm not on the skills list so I can't even get us 5 points!

You'll do well over there Sam... hope it all works out for you!

As far as I know he won't be able to step onto a building site without the AQF qualification so it is a necessity eitherway. Unfortunatley I'm not on the skills list so I can't even get us 5 points!

You'll do well over there Sam... hope it all works out for you!

Hi Donport

I am In Ireland also. I did my AQF 111 in Plastering here. My visa agent organised it. I got state sponsorship from western Australia. We just did our medicals 2 weeks ago so we are just waiting on the Magic confirmation that visa is granted. The Visa agent I have in Ireland is Visa First. They organised the AQF here and they flew a guy over from Australia to assess us. I'm not sure if they are still doing this though. Would you like me to find out?

Guest Donport
Hi Donport

I am In Ireland also. I did my AQF 111 in Plastering here. My visa agent organised it. I got state sponsorship from western Australia. We just did our medicals 2 weeks ago so we are just waiting on the Magic confirmation that visa is granted. The Visa agent I have in Ireland is Visa First. They organised the AQF here and they flew a guy over from Australia to assess us. I'm not sure if they are still doing this though. Would you like me to find out?

Hi - Yes if you could please... or give me the name of your agent. I dealt with Visa First but don't think I had a great agent... she didn't know about this AQF course and just kept telling me I was out of time. She also thought applications weren't being accepted after May.... but I think that is just SA.

Guest Donport
It has been documented that the Aqf 3 as of 1 July only counts if it has been taken in Australia!!

:confused::eek::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::mad::biggrin::biggrin::biglaugh:

All I can do is laugh at this stage, too funny.... you have to do the AQF in Oz from July 1st... typical!!:arghh:

:confused::eek::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::mad::biggrin::biggrin::biglaugh:

All I can do is laugh at this stage, too funny.... you have to do the AQF in Oz from July 1st... typical!!:arghh:

I did man a year and a half ago so i reckon the OP is probably right:unsure:

Guest Donport
I did man a year and a half ago so i reckon the OP is probably right:unsure:

Bit thick... whats an OP? Other person? Did you do the AQF in Ireland a year and a half ago?

To be honest, he'd go over to Oz to do this AQF no problem... only problem is I think he still wouldn't have enough points under the new visa app and I think we're out of time for the current way. I think a little more thinking is needed as to what we can do!!

Bit thick... whats an OP? Other person? Did you do the AQF in Ireland a year and a half ago?

To be honest, he'd go over to Oz to do this AQF no problem... only problem is I think he still wouldn't have enough points under the new visa app and I think we're out of time for the current way. I think a little more thinking is needed as to what we can do!!

OP is Other Poster! I'm not sure of the new rules to be honest but your on the right site because this is the place to find everything out thats for sure.

Yes I did mine in Dublin. Organised by Visa First, quite expensive but it's finally worth it as we are now so close. It's been a long process and seems to take for ever, so many hurdles and so many good days and bad days. If ya need anything just drop me a PM

Regards

Guest Donport

I just got this reply from Silvertrowel in Australia.... they are also based in the UK and I thought, did this course in the UK but there's no mention from this reply... I'll call the UK office to double check.

If your husband can provide evidence to support his experience then the Recognition of Prior Learning would be the way to go. The process is that your husband would pay $1000.00 for the evidence collection (Candidate kit) package and gather evidence etc to send to us. If the assessors are happy to go ahead he then pays the balance of $2000.00 to book the practical skills assessment.

We are currently only conducting RPLs in Perth. He can come across to do the RPL on a holiday visa as the actual practical assessment is done in a maximum of two days. If he is deemed competent in all UOCs in Solid Plastering then he will be issued with the AQF Certificate III in Solid Plastering.

However if he fails the skills assessment he will need to then do gap training and depending on how many UOCs he needs to complete, he would need to stay long enough to get through them. This should still be do-able within a holiday visa duration.

If he fails the majority of UOCs then it may be better for him to return under a student visa and undertake the two year study period as an international student.

If he chooses to undertake the full two year study with us as an international student, he will need to apply for a student visa (572) and as partner could apply for a dependant’s visa.

Our field officers will assist with work placements but cannot guarantee this. The majority of our students are working within the trade field they are studying and as he has prior experience, it shouldn’t be too difficult for him to find work.

As the current rules stand, once he completes the two years of study, he could then apply for an 18 month (485) bridging visa during which time he can work full time. Once he has completed these 18 months he can then apply for permanent residency.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Guest Donport
Just found the bulletin which details the new points test, and it does indeed state that as from 1st July you only get the 10 points for an AQF III/IV if completed in Australia.

Another hoop to jump through!

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

I had initially thought that he could just fly over for the AQF test, then yes, I found out its a 2 year apprenticeship in Australia that you would need to do! Another 10 points just deducted!!

I've just been told by Visa first you can get your AQF Level III over the phone now!! They send out a pack for 1,750, you've obviously got a lot of stuff to get to proove your a plasterer with skill, they send your file for assessment, then you pay another 1,000 & next a skype "technical" call is organised for 15/30 mins, if they are happy with that you get an AQF cert 2-3 weeks after. I think the whole thing would take 6-8 weeks though... thats before you apply for the TRA assessment. Timings definately still a problem here though!

I've also found out about the 457 Visa, so if he gets a job offer this is a sponsored visa for 4 years & no qualifications are needed, it takes 3 months processing time? After 2 years you could apply for an Employee nominated scheme (am I right in saying you need to be guaranteed a further 3 years with your employer for this?). Could this be another road to residency? Apparently the 457 Visa means your children can go to public school for alot less then the 4,500 for primary school goers if your not a resident?

I'm sure I'm missing something here... bit more research on that needed I think. :unsure:

• 4 months later...

Hi all, after reading all the posts gives me more hope that me and my partner can get our residency. we are already in Australia on a working holday visa, and we absolutely love it here. We are in the same boat - my partner has NVQ level 2 plastering and we are hoping to get him an AQF 111 . can anyone give us some ideas of what to expect from the assessment - questions they ask etc ! Many thanks :) Jan and Joe xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tinkerbell34

Hi xjaix... I'm not 100% sure what you can do. Get in touch with an agent over there and they can tell you your best way to approach this. Since your over there you could try and get employee sponsorship and after 2 years the company might sponsor you or your partner for a residency? My sister was sponsored by her company so she gets 4 years there. Then hopefully her hubby who's also a plasterer can work on getting them permanent residency as her job is not on the skills list so I don't think her job can help her get residency (as far as I know now).

What about Vetasses? Don't they convert your NVQ to an AQF?

Sorry, I'm not much help to you!!

• 1 month later...
Guest The Migration Guy
Hi all, after reading all the posts gives me more hope that me and my partner can get our residency. we are already in Australia on a working holday visa, and we absolutely love it here. We are in the same boat - my partner has NVQ level 2 plastering and we are hoping to get him an AQF 111 . can anyone give us some ideas of what to expect from the assessment - questions they ask etc ! Many thanks :) Jan and Joe xxx

Hi Jan & Joe,

As you are already on shore then you can take advantage of the Australian Skill Assessments domestic site. It works out a bit cheaper than if you do it from the UK and just as simple a process. You can register on the main website but obviously click to say you are applying from Aus and you'll go through to the correct office.

All the best!

• 1 year later...

Hi donport

I,m really new to this and see your post is quite old just wondered if you had managed to get your visa?

Im in a similar situation in that my husband is a plasterer from Dublin with 15 years exp like you he has no papers so he will have to do the aqf. I think we'll have to go for the 489 as my sis is in perth and so can sponsor us. We would prefer to go for the 190 but that would mean my hubby sitting the ielts test and i really don't think he could do it. I don't think he's ever written a letter and his spelling is awful so I've not really got much faith in that route.

Just wondered how you got on as your situ seemed similar to mine!