Bentleigh East???

young2682

Hi all,

My OH has just had a job interview offering sponsorship!

The company is in Bentleigh East.

If my OH gets the job he will be fast tracked and out there by July, myself and our children would join him in a few months.

Can anyone recommend any nice suburbs surrounding that area? Looking on a map we cannot figure out distances!

Seems a very expensive area!!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Alex :smile:

Hi Alex,

My OH also has an interview with a company offering sponsorship and I think its in Bentleigh East too. Can I ask what company its is that is interviewing him ?? My OH is a Panel Beater

I was looking on line last nite at rentals but like you i'm not sure which areas are close by.

Lynne

Thats great! My OH's was for the Bentleigh East branch!!

Must keep each other posted!

When was your oh interview? Mines was this morning at 7am. Wonder when we hear?

Going through southern

My OH has 1 set for 2moz 7.30, is it Tony from Southern ?? maybe he will let you know.

I see u are going later than ur OH..do u have a house 2 sell or r u all ready 2 go ??

Good luck to your OH for tomorrow,is it Jim Vais interviewing him? If so he is a really nice bloke, my OH said he is really chilled out!

Yes well if he gets offered job he will go in July, we havent sold our house yet so are just basing that on the fact that we may not have sold - housing market seems rubbish at mo, we are struggling to get it sold, only been on market 6 weeks though so there is still time.

We would prob try and join him there in sept/oct time depending on how things are here.

How about you?

Hi, yes it's Jim Vais interviewing him. We're in a rented house so we don't have a house to sell, we have the current house til Sept so we want to have enough back up money behind us by then.

I'm not sure if I would want Steve 2 go before me !!

Thats a good position to be in!

To be honest I wont like ben going without me but we only started the whole idea of emmigrating in Jan, then this interview was very last minute so hadnt had time to prepare really! Not ideal but if its our gateway to australia then you have to go with what life throws at you!

Keep in touch ,

Ale x

Bentleigh can be expensive as its a good commuting distance to the centre of Melbourne so popular with office workers. There are suburbs which are a little cheaper and commutable. It really depends on whether you are using public transport or own transport how long the commute from suburbs around will be.

Bentleigh is on the Frankston line so have a look at the metlink site.

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Thats a good position to be in!

To be honest I wont like ben going without me but we only started the whole idea of emmigrating in Jan, then this interview was very last minute so hadnt had time to prepare really! Not ideal but if its our gateway to australia then you have to go with what life throws at you!

Keep in touch ,

Ale x

Hi,

Have you heard anything yet ?? Steve had his this morning, I think it went well !!

Lynne x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest UK Playgroup

Hi Alex, (I'm also Alex) good news your OH is having an interview/ maybe had it by now! East Bentleigh is a nice area but very pricey for renting and buying (not sure why though as there are many other suburbs much nicer where housing is similarly priced!)

We have just bought our 3bed house in Cheltenham and my best friend lives in Bentleigh, takes me about 15 mins to get her house.

In terms of surrounding areas, Bayside is a very popular area with Brits but can be a bit snooty (my house is bigger than your house etc etc...!) which is just below the city, beautiful but very expensive area. Then there is the Kingston area (which includes Cheltenham) much more affordable and we've found it very friendly (again, lots of Brits here too) and Glen Eira which is were Bentleigh and Bentleigh East are classed as (if you google these 'areas' it will show their council websites.)

Will you be given any temporary accomodation if your OH is offered a job? If you need any help if/when you arrive send me an email-i've just set up an account on here as UK Playgroup and know lots of families here with little ones if you have any children and would like to make friends when you 'land'!

thanks, Alex

Hi Alex!

Thanks for your message, my OH got the job and starts end June/beginning July depending on how long it takes for the 457 visa to be granted.

How nice of you to welcome me! My OH is hopefully going to be based in Bentleigh East but it is not 100% so will keep you posted, he could be in Hallam or Preston but we are hoping for BE.

I have two children 4 and a half and 3 so would be very keen to meet others when we arrive on such a daunting adventure! We will not be flying out until August/sept as have things to tie up here first.

Will add you to my list on here so I can keep in touch!

Thanks again for your kind info,

Alex

x

I moved to Australia 12 months ago and my company put us in an apartment in Bentleigh East. it is really nice but very expensive as it is one of the most sort after areas. there are a lot of suburbs around here that are easy to commute from. have a look at cheltenham which was suggested or even further down to edithvale and chelsea which is only about 10 / 15 mins away all nice areas :biggrin:

Guest UK Playgroup

Hi Alex, sorry for really slow response!

Thats fantastic news your OH has got the job! Keep us posted on how things are going and we could meet up when you arrive-its often nice to have a starting point when you arrive and make friends from that! We have lots of friends with little ones similar age to yours (my daughter is 18 months)-it will be a fantastic move for them I'm sure :)

good luck with it all! x

Guest hobbsinoz

Hi,

Bentleigh East itself is a really nice suburb (we used to live there). It was voted in Melbourne (or South East) the most livable suburb! Great local shops and easy to get around. It is pricey to buy. We rented there for nearly 5 years and rental prices have also crept up since then. We would have loved to have stayed in the area but couldn't afford to buy there and decided to build a new house further out. Any areas nearer the city or towards the beach/bay are even more expensive so you might want to avoid those, but most of the areas following the bay down are good probably as far as Patterson Lakes/Sandhurst. I live in Sandhurst now which is about a 30 min drive to Bentleigh East and it would be fine as a commute for your hubbys work. Someone mentioned Cheltenham which is nice, also Parkdale, Mordialloc (right on the beach), Mentone, just follow the coast road all the way down and slightly inland as a search area! Hope that helps!

Hi Hobbsinoz!

Thanks so much for the info, it really does give a great insight into the suburbs havng never been.

One dilemma you may be able to shed some light on, my hubby actually goes out before me and kids and will be just doing a house share or something if he can until we fly out. We dont know what to do about him getting around as obviously he wont have a car or sat nav! Car rental seems a pricey way to get around but I guess he will need that initially to get from airport etc. He is wanting to ideally cycle to work, we are trying to figure out distances of suburbs surrounding Bentleigh East incase he cant get a house share there!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on this matter!

So how long have you been living in Oz?

Alex :-)

Guest hobbsinoz

Hi Alex,

Getting around here in Oz can be quite difficult if you don't have a car. Most people commute into the city by car or train - but if your hubby can find accomm close enough to work then cycling would be a great option. If he wants a cheaper option whilst waiting for you to arrive then the suburbs east of Bentleigh East would be commutable by bike - Clayton & Heatherton are probably the 2 closest (they're not the best of suburbs but would 'do' until you got there!). When he first arrives there is a great bus service (Skybus) which goes every 15 mins I think it is but it does only go to the city, however I have seen other airport to south east suburb bus/minibus services recently so that could be a cheaper option if he doesn't want to rent a car. If you can find anything online, let me know and I'll have a search here for you.

We've been here 6 and a half years now and love it. We lived in the city for our first yr and Melbourne is a great city. It has so much to offer and wherever you live, in just an hour, there are so many amazing things to do and see. Then we lived in Bentleigh East for nearly 5 years until we built a new house a bit further out (something we'd never have been able to afford to do in the UK). The South East suburbs of Melbourne are more pricey than the others surrounding the city, but they are the nicest :-) Happy to help with any other info you need!

Shellee.

Shellee,

Thank you SO much for your advice and info, it really is a huge help as there is only so much google can tell you!

We would love to try and build our own house after we finish renting, is it a reasonably easy thing to do over there?? (over here as you know is a joke when it comes to all that!).

We are renting out our house here and dont plan on selling it for a few years so may rent in Oz until we decide what to do, building a house would be living the dream!

Thanks again, Alex :-)

Guest hobbsinoz

No probs. Just asked my hubby about the company your husband has been offered a job with (as he is in the automotive industry as well!) and he said its on North Road which is the top end of Bentleigh East (it really is difficult to judge distances as places are huge here!). Oakleigh would be a good suburd to cycle from as its right along North Rd (and better than Clayton). Its a huge Greek suburb, (we have a few of them here) I have a lot of friends who love there and the local shops there offer fab coffee and cakes! Do you have an MSN/hotmail messenger ID? If you're online now can message there. Building a house here is soooooo easy! As long as you don't mind living a way out of the city. Lots of land and fab houses.

• 1 month later...
Hi Alex,

My OH also has an interview with a copmany offering sponsorship and I think its in Bentleigh East too. Can I ask what company its is that is interviewing him ?? My OH is a Panel Beater

I was looking on line last nite at rentals but like you i'm not sure which areas are close by.

Lynne

Hi

My OH has also been offered a job with Capital Smart he is a spray painter. He was down in Thatcham last week doing the skills test. We don't know which branch he is in yet, so it so hard to know what area to look at for staying in. Which just makes me nervous. :( I think we will all be over really soon the 457 seems to be really quick coming through. :)

Guest Chris Swingle

Hi all,

Ive just got a job with capital smart and ill be working in the Bentleigh East branch. i will be over soon any info will be great....

Archived