Melbourne smells

blobby1000

Guest The Pom Queen
He'd be the last one to get aggressive. He's getting on with his life in Oz now and many of us sure do miss him.

He is still around now and again but yes they are really making the most of their new life together in Melbourne

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Yes but we all know these polls are utter nonsense.

I mean, for a start, who actually LIVES IN MELBOURNE, I certainly didnt, I lived in a boring depressing smelly suburb (like 99.9% of Melbournians)

Oh hush man, you won't be here much longer :tongue: :hug: I can send you a peg for your nose until you move

Oh hush man, you won't be here much longer :tongue: :hug: I can send you a peg for your nose until you move

Haha, we dont live there any more! We moved to Torquay. But I do find the endless Pro-Melbourne polls very misleading. Melbourne CITY is a great place to visit, its lovely, and it has a lot going on. But living there is an entirely different situation. Who can afford to live in Jollimont? Most people end up out in the suburbs and thats not "Melbourne the greatest city in the world" is it? Its Vermont South! Traffic, and not much else.

Guest The Pom Queen
Haha, we dont live there any more! We moved to Torquay. But I do find the endless Pro-Melbourne polls very misleading. Melbourne CITY is a great place to visit, its lovely, and it has a lot going on. But living there is an entirely different situation. Who can afford to live in Jollimont? Most people end up out in the suburbs and thats not "Melbourne the greatest city in the world" is it? Its Vermont South! Traffic, and not much else.

I loved Melbourne

Guest The Pom Queen
I love MELBOURNE, or at least I like it. But its suburbia I struggled with, which is most peoples reality.

I could never understand why anyone would leave the UK and live in a Melbourne suburb 30km from the city but plenty of people do.

It's Melbourne suburbia I liked, I don't like huge cities or built up areas I prefer the more country feel

I could never understand why anyone would leave the UK and live in a Melbourne suburb 30km from the city but plenty of people do.

We moved to the "Melbourne area" purely for the work opportunities......we've been lucky enough that we can live in Emerald and have our work still within driving distance.

I've nothing against Melbourne city, but wouldn't bother me one bit if I didn't go there ever again! Just not a lover of cities, much prefer the countryside......so much on our doorstep at the weekends.....and no traffic lights out here!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love MELBOURNE, or at least I like it. But its suburbia I struggled with, which is most peoples reality.

The ones who researched Australia properly before they came here and understood that most of the population lives in huge and sprawling cities, not unlike the USA. I suppose there's a minority who imagine they will be living on the seafront at Bondi, the sort of gullible person who 'buys' the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I travel out to Penrith every day to work now, 55 kilometres and up to 90 minutes each way. There are plenty of people living out there who love it and accept it. It's the same in Melbourne.

I have lived in the inner suburbs, outer suburbs and now on the Peninsula and I enjoyed all the places I lived as they were right for that time in my life.

My daughter lives in Brunswick now and we find we are up in the city a lot more to visit. Its an easy run for us, to a point, point being Alexander Parade. However at the weekend we still get there in an hour and when the bypass opens near us next year will take less time. I actually love it where she lives.

My friend's sister and her oh farmers had a huge dairy farm, retired, sold the farm and now they live in East Melbourne could not be more different to their former lives, they absolutely love it. Have made a lot of friends etc. Bought a house in East Melbourne part of the social scene etc.

Horses for courses. I would never rule out moving back to the city if my life changed for one reason or another.

I have lived in the inner suburbs, outer suburbs and now on the Peninsula and I enjoyed all the places I lived as they were right for that time in my life.

My daughter lives in Brunswick now and we find we are up in the city a lot more to visit. Its an easy run for us, to a point, point being Alexander Parade. However at the weekend we still get there in an hour and when the bypass opens near us next year will take less time. I actually love it where she lives.

My friend's sister and her oh farmers had a huge dairy farm, retired, sold the farm and now they live in East Melbourne could not be more different to their former lives, they absolutely love it. Have made a lot of friends etc. Bought a house in East Melbourne part of the social scene etc.

Horses for courses. I would never rule out moving back to the city if my life changed for one reason or another.

I was just talking about Sydney in much the same way on another thread. I don't know Melbourne very well but I'm sure if I was moving there, I could find somewhere similar to Surry Hills - maybe SurrEy Hills! I rather liked Elwood when I stopped there for a coffee. Isn't it close to St Kilda, another place I like. Not knowing the places means the names still have a romantic air!

I was just talking about Sydney in much the same way on another thread. I don't know Melbourne very well but I'm sure if I was moving there, I could find somewhere similar to Surry Hills - maybe SurrEy Hills! I rather liked Elwood when I stopped there for a coffee. Isn't it close to St Kilda, another place I like. Not knowing the places means the names still have a romantic air!

I lived in Sydney for a few years and I lived in Neutral Bay, McMahons Point and Redfern. Redfern at the time was on the nose but this lady we knew had bought one of the old Terraces and turned it into two flats so it was a nice place to live and so close to the action.

As for Melbourne I lived in Elwood before I was married and loved it, lived in a house share and we could get everywhere very very easily, in fact my friend who never married still lives there. Have also lived in Balaclava and Caulfield South which are handy for the city.

However the north is now the go, suburbs like Fitzroy Brunswick Collingwood popular with the singles, lots of cafes and places to go. My daughter lives near Sydney Road and Lygon Street and its great, out the door, restaurants, pubs, etc very good. St Kilda has lost its shine I think with the young singles.

I lived in Sydney for a few years and I lived in Neutral Bay, McMahons Point and Redfern. Redfern at the time was on the nose but this lady we knew had bought one of the old Terraces and turned it into two flats so it was a nice place to live and so close to the action.

As for Melbourne I lived in Elwood before I was married and loved it, lived in a house share and we could get everywhere very very easily, in fact my friend who never married still lives there. Have also lived in Balaclava and Caulfield South which are handy for the city.

I really must go to Melbourne for a holiday and spend a week or two travelling the trams. I'm not really an outer suburb dweller myself - 'Westie!' - what do they call them in Melbourne? Narre Warren - I see that name come up a few times at work.

To be honest, though, if I had just got the job at Penrith and I was in my 20/30's, I would probably move out and make a life there. From what I've seen of it, I could live there. I could certainly get a nice place a lot cheaper than in Surry Hills. It would be the same if I got a job at Campbelltown. I imagine Melbourne has its regional centres, scattered over the metropolitan area, the equivalents of Penrith, Campbelltown, Blacktown, Parramatta (the true geographical centre of Sydney?), Chatswood, Hornsby, Bondi Junction, Bankstown, Caringbah, etc.

However the north is now the go, suburbs like Fitzroy Brunswick Collingwood popular with the singles, lots of cafes and places to go. My daughter lives near Sydney Road and Lygon Street and its great, out the door, restaurants, pubs, etc very good. St Kilda has lost its shine I think with the young singles.

Funny how we all have different expectations. I grew up right in the middle of London so central city areas just don't do it for me. We live in the Outer burbs of Melbourne and just love the peace and quiet, wildlife, trees etc but also that we can get into the middle of the city in 50 mins by train should we feel like a city-hit.

Archived