Melbourne smells

blobby1000

Guest MontyClaude

Just out of curiosity how come you didn't break your lease and move sooner? The rental market seems to move that quickly that you would probably only have been charged the break fee which in my case is 1 and a half weeks rent. Maybe agencies are different but if it turns out I don't like the suburb I've moved to I will def break my lease and move.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope im in scotland, we're looking into moving to aus next year but it'll probably be perth because of daves type of work but we're open to moving anywhere. I have family in victoria, they live in yarraville. dont think they'll ever come back to glasgow, they love it over there

Found this an interesting topic:biggrin: We moved to Melbourne from Scotland 2 months ago. We are delighted we made the move and have found some fantastic places. Spent the weekend down at Oceans Grove on Saturday and Apollo Bay on Sunday and it was fantastic. We really love it down there, it is everything we dreamed off. One piece of advice I would give to anyone is visit before you make your decision. If we had done this it is likely we wouldn't have chosen Melbourne and I realise I will be in the minority on this one but it is not for us. I need to commute to the CBD every day so we cannot stay where we would really like to I felt physically sick walking up Collins Street yesterday due to the smell of urine from a covered area obviously used at the weekend by homeless people. All of the city is not like this however and there are some stunning areas. The level of graffiti really surprised me and my initial feelings when we drove from the airport of disappointment has not completely gone, although there are other things about it that are great. I wouldn't want to put someone off coming to Melbourne as if you like city living I'm sure you will love it but I feel it is important that people make an informed decision before moving here. Everyone in my office loves living here and I have found everyone to be really friendly and welcoming. My son has settled in great at school and is making friends, my husband really doesn't like it at all, until we get about an hour away from the city. He has been to Perth and loved it and to be honest that's where we should have gone but my job offer was in Melbourne! This isn't because we are trying to say that Perth is better, just better for us. I'm sure we will ultimately move there and in the meantime will enjoy all the bits we love and I will put a clothespeg on my nose on a Monday morning:biggrin:

Its not the homeless people its the pubs and clubs that tip out all ours of the night and morning. Unfortunately its the sign of the times in big cities. The graffiti is bad and in most areas and I would say a good lot of it is done by older teens and early twenties as a car would be needed to get to the object. Disenfranchised youth I think not, louts I do believe :laugh:

Melbourne is a very nice place to live but you have to get used to Melbourne, its very different from the other capitals in Aus. Personally I like to visit Perth but being so far away its so isolated for me. My parents lived there for a while when they first came over but they moved on as well. My dad's brother on the other hand settled there and has a large family there.

Good luck. Lots of Brits in City of Knox where you are headed.

'Most livable city' This is trotted out every year by the Australian meida but has no bearing on the 'livability' of a city from the point of view of its residents. It is based on an international survy putting together various criteria which is then applied to the expense accounts of company executives as they travel/work around the world. It includes things like the avaliablility of exclusive private schools, resturaunts fit to take customers to dinner in, golf clubs, safety, transport links, avaliablity of housing etc etc.

It does not look at life for those on the median wage.. ie it has not travelled out to the outer suburbs where there is little local ammenty, or the fact that housing is so over priced now that normal people are facing the most expensive housing in the western world, that you need 2 cars to service a small family or even a couple, that there is no usable public transport in 50% of the suburbs (a bus every hour or so does not count and most certainly does not take you to work).

As per the original poster we find the Melbourne we can afford to be quite boring and souless, and are sick of getting into the car to do/go anyhere at all and no, we cant move to somewhere more convenient as we cant aford $800K for a basic run down house in a middle suburb. That, for those still in the UK thats around GDP 500K. 30 years ago it had the qualities that people are still moving here for, cheap housing, space, quiet roads, good quality food much cheaper than the UK, now all those things are gone. To top it off you would have to go to LA to find more endless sprawl, nothing but housing estates with the odd shopping centre thrown in, all of course to built to keep the local oligarchs in clover.

Absolute s@@tholes are what you get when there's a lack of property. You get panicked into accepting the first thing you get accepted for and end up stuck there for a year, usually without heating and cooling. thats where the new suburbs come in might be souless might be miles out but at least the housings fit for human habitation

Does anyone else find Melbourne to be a depressing, graffiti ridden, litter strewn smelly hellhole and its suburbs to be largely soulless endless depressing and unfriendly?

We moved out from the Uk in November with our two kids and cannot wait to move on to a nicer part of Australia.

Come now Melbourne is generally regarded as the top of the crop. Recent survey gave it as the 'Worlds most livable city'. lol.

Where would you consider to be a nicer part of Australia? Select well if you do decide to relocate as the task of finding the best can be an un nerving experience.

Afraid soul can be a little hard to track down. Inner city Melbourne not at all to your fancy?

Guest MontyClaude

Hi blobby1000, I appreciate what you're saying about needing somewhere asap. We have pets and our container will Be here in a couple of weeks so we were starting to panic a bit. I'm happy with what we got but we are paying a lot for it! In fairness I only intend to stay in it for a year and once we get another car to move down towards mornington or Mt Eliza.

Hi

What a shame your not liking Melbourne, there are so many beautiful places. Saying that we have just moved to Queensland after six years and are loving it. Have you been to the Dandenongs or the bays.

Nic

'Most livable city' This is trotted out every year by the Australian meida but has no bearing on the 'livability' of a city from the point of view of its residents. It is based on an international survy putting together various criteria which is then applied to the expense accounts of company executives as they travel/work around the world. It includes things like the avaliablility of exclusive private schools, resturaunts fit to take customers to dinner in, golf clubs, safety, transport links, avaliablity of housing etc etc.

It does not look at life for those on the median wage.. ie it has not travelled out to the outer suburbs where there is little local ammenty, or the fact that housing is so over priced now that normal people are facing the most expensive housing in the western world, that you need 2 cars to service a small family or even a couple, that there is no usable public transport in 50% of the suburbs (a bus every hour or so does not count and most certainly does not take you to work).

As per the original poster we find the Melbourne we can afford to be quite boring and souless, and are sick of getting into the car to do/go anyhere at all and no, we cant move to somewhere more convenient as we cant aford $800K for a basic run down house in a middle suburb. That, for those still in the UK thats around GDP 500K. 30 years ago it had the qualities that people are still moving here for, cheap housing, space, quiet roads, good quality food much cheaper than the UK, now all those things are gone. To top it off you would have to go to LA to find more endless sprawl, nothing but housing estates with the odd shopping centre thrown in, all of course to built to keep the local oligarchs in clover.

spot on

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest57588

As per the original poster we find the Melbourne we can afford to be quite boring and souless, and are sick of getting into the car to do/go anyhere at all and no, we cant move to somewhere more convenient as we cant aford $800K for a basic run down house in a middle suburb. That, for those still in the UK thats around GDP 500K. 30 years ago it had the qualities that people are still moving here for, cheap housing, space, quiet roads, good quality food much cheaper than the UK, now all those things are gone. To top it off you would have to go to LA to find more endless sprawl, nothing but housing estates with the odd shopping centre thrown in, all of course to built to keep the local oligarchs in

clover.

I must admit mate that I've never seen what the fuss is all about with Melbourne. The city centre admittedly has some fine buildings and interesting shopping malls, but the suburbs can be depressing, scruffy looking and covered with grafitti. They sprawl on forever too as Melbourne is massive. My missus is a big fan and talks about it's "Shabby chic" but I always think it looks like a european city at the end of World War 2!

Judging by most posts on this thread it ticks the right boxes for most, but it is pricey. I seem to remember that one of the big Aussie banks surveyed housing costs across Aus, NZ, UK, USA, SA and Canada a couple of years back and Melbourne was the second most expensive to rent or buy in (in relation to the proportion of income that went towards a mortgage or rent). Vancouver came out as the most expensive and Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast were all in the top 5 or 6.

The tram network is great - affordable and reliable - if you live near it. If you don't then public transport is a bit of a right-off. Culturally you're never short of stuff to do, but eating and drinking (especially drinking) can be eye-wateringly expensive even in just a regular pub ($7.50 for a pint of Coopers!). There are some lovely parks though, so maybe the answer is to stock up on cheap booze from ALDI and set up camp under the trees!

All in all, it's not a bad place, but some of the eulogies that are written about it do leave me scratching my head. Give me Ballarat anytime!

Melbourne has never been cheap, you get what you pay for. We have lived here for 35 years now and I can tell you that it was just as hard 35 years ago as it is now, wages were a lot less. Bank's only lent on the man's wage for mortgages and deposits were hard to come by.

Material things that people today think are necessary for their lives were very expensive.

Melbourne has a lot of graffiti and must say most of us are not keen on it but that is the sign of the times, I always reckon the things that happen in Europe start to happen here 10 - 15 years later. Have not been wrong so far. Utube and social networking sites have a lot to answer for giving ideas to the youth, the disenfranchised youth of the world whose numbers are rising.

However, been all over the place and I would say that Melbourne is the easiest place to live, its easy to get around, just pick your suburb. Plenty of diversity in shopping. Restaurants are expensive or cheap up to personal taste. Same with the beer will we really die if we change our beer to something cheaper. Low alcohol beer is probably the best option anyway with the police around most corners these days breath testing.

Its a clean city in my view and I have been to many all over the world. It gets a good clean overnight and if you walk there early in the morning after the clubs have kicked their last patrons out and they have gone home, its very clean the cleaners do a wonderful job.

Our beaches are clean as they are cleaned every morning in the summer months.

We have differing weather but I like that I hate the weather being the same.

Being female you can really dress up in Melbourne as we do not have humid weather and if we do its very soon passed. So makeup stays on and do not need to shower every hour like the humid places in Aus.

Guest ashmalog

i have loved in the south east suburbs for the last 2 years and love every minute and yes i am in berwick, which you have previously reffered to. i find melbourne city amazing, full of character and culture and i never seem to see or visit the same thing twice. the atmosphere is amazing and the sense of community is wonderful. can you walk through the streets of canberra and speak to strangers? no cos the streets are like ghost towns!

Yes I loved berwick, that was the first place we went to on arriving in Australia. I do agree that the suburbs are depressing and the amount of litter on the streets on the suburb I lived (how wonderful to pop that in the past tense) in (Greensborough) and the extraordinary quantity of dog faeces left in the streets made "Melbourne" to me, at least, a very pongy experience.

Yes I loved berwick, that was the first place we went to on arriving in Australia. I do agree that the suburbs are depressing and the amount of litter on the streets on the suburb I lived (how wonderful to pop that in the past tense) in (Greensborough) and the extraordinary quantity of dog faeces left in the streets made "Melbourne" to me, at least, a very pongy experience.

Thank goodness it does not happen around here most people are very good and take little plastic bags with them when they take their dogs for a walk. Litter what is that not a lot around, there are large fines for littering these days. One of our residents walks around the town every day whilst taking her dog for a walk and picks up any litter that she sees.

I do remember the days when dogs used to roam around and there was dog poo everywhere but they are long gone with the law changes

You must remember the council taking someone to Court for their dog defecating persistently, the council used DNA to get them :laugh:

Does anyone else find Melbourne to be a depressing, graffiti ridden, litter strewn smelly hellhole and its suburbs to be largely soulless endless depressing and unfriendly?

We moved out from the Uk in November with our two kids and cannot wait to move on to a nicer part of Australia.

As someone who lived in W.A , and loved it .....i cannot for the life of me understand the fuss over Melbourne .

Its supposed to be one of the worlds best places to live .......no thanks .

I rolled into the city by train .....and immediately didnt like it .....end of .

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF AUSTRALIA OR AUSTRALIANS .

If i was given a choice of Birmingham or Melbourne , it would honestly be a close call.

As someone who lived in W.A , and loved it .....i cannot for the life of me understand the fuss over Melbourne .

Its supposed to be one of the worlds best places to live .......no thanks .

I rolled into the city by train .....and immediately didnt like it .....end of .

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF AUSTRALIA OR AUSTRALIANS .

If i was given a choice of Birmingham or Melbourne , it would honestly be a close call.

I think Bunbury that our city takes a while to get to know, it really is a fabulous place, except for the weather which can be a bit cranky during the four seasons. It is a place which has a lot going for it and you need to give it time. It is not really a good idea to make such a snap judgement of it, as it has many facets. Some on here will say I am biased as I was born and bred here, but believe me not only Melbourne, but Victoria in general, has some great places to live and visit. When I first arrived in London, ended up in Brixton many years ago and thought "HECK" putting it politely, but it is hard to judge a place on first looks.

I think Bunbury that our city takes a while to get to know, it really is a fabulous place, except for the weather which can be a bit cranky during the four seasons. It is a place which has a lot going for it and you need to give it time. It is not really a good idea to make such a snap judgement of it, as it has many facets. Some on here will say I am biased as I was born and bred here, but believe me not only Melbourne, but Victoria in general, has some great places to live and visit.

Agreed. Apart from colac.

Archived