Computer Hacking

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Hi all. A question for all you techs out there.

I am on a secure network at home, passwords galore etc, and never had a problem before. But recently every time I fire up the desk top or laptop (funnily enough not my iphone) a message pops up and says, 'Your broadband connection seems to have been compromised, it will be disabled for one minute'.

However, after a minute or so, nothing, so I have to go through the whole rigmarole of signing in using my passwords etc. Not a great pain in the bum, but still annoying.

I have the fella who installed my broadband coming over this afternoon to have a look, but thought I would throw this one out there to get as many expert opinions as possible.

Please bear with me, I am a complete numpty about computers, so if you could use layman's terms, :wubclub::wacko:.

Is it possible that someone (as has been threatened recently) could hack into my broadband connection, according to my mate, it is possible and I have seen him do some fairly frightening things with his stuff, he truly is a whizz at IT and it shocked me what you can do with the correct knowledge and nouse.

Cheers Tony.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think anything is possible when it comes to computers, if they can hack the pentagon computers, they surely can hack........... yours'

Has your computer been hacked ........... i doubt it.

Not long back i switched a computer on at work after being off work for 3 days and others had been using it and...................... the screen lit up with my............. e-mails page being displayed. I have no idea why and the only explaination i have is that my site had been hacked by internal security............... who knows what goes on?

Hmm.. If you ever see a message that actually sounds like plain English (or even worse, bad English), it's usually a fake, trying to get you to click or install something. However, the fact it just asks you to wait a minute is strange. Does the message come from any antivirus software that you have installed (and know you have installed?).

Other than some exceptionally intelligent antivirus software, I can't think of anything that would give you that message; your broadband provider most probably wouldn't. 9 times out of 10, any such warning is usually a fake. If you can post a screenshot of that warning message somehow (making sure there's no personal data), someone can probably tell you if it's real or not. A digital camera/cameraphone is handy for these things.

[ BTW - there's been a huge upsurge in the UK of overseas call centers phoning people at home out of the blue, claiming they're from Microsoft/McAfee/your bank/whoever, and asking you to install protection software on your computer. All these are fake, but 10/10 for effort to them! ]

Maybe ask your IT whizz mate to take a look :-)

Guest guest37336
Hmm.. If you ever see a message that actually sounds like plain English (or even worse, bad English), it's usually a fake, trying to get you to click or install something. However, the fact it just asks you to wait a minute is strange. Does the message come from any antivirus software that you have installed (and know you have installed?).

Other than some exceptionally intelligent antivirus software, I can't think of anything that would give you that message; your broadband provider most probably wouldn't. 9 times out of 10, any such warning is usually a fake. If you can post a screenshot of that warning message somehow (making sure there's no personal data), someone can probably tell you if it's real or not. A digital camera/cameraphone is handy for these things.

[ BTW - there's been a huge upsurge in the UK of overseas call centers phoning people at home out of the blue, claiming they're from Microsoft/McAfee/your bank/whoever, and asking you to install protection software on your computer. All these are fake, but 10/10 for effort to them! ]

Maybe ask your IT whizz mate to take a look :-)

Hi Desreb.

I contacted Apple via email this morning and as normal very quick in getting back to me, and according to them this is a common message to be seen at times. Just wanted to make sure from ALL that I was doing right.

Virgin who we are with will come back to me later, but in the meantime thank your advice, it amazing what you can pick up from a simple question,:notworthy:.

Now if I suddenly go off line you will know that someone has hacked into my system and jfjliewiror kjkjkwl jeeikjelkprp kksdhjhfkj kwjeu jueiowo3pr kejekrmm kjktjrkjrlelkrle, ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:biglaugh:

Archived