Australian Citizenship

IrishDigger

Guest siamsusie

I dont find his regime so democratic to be frank.:biggrin:.

If as a citizen you are required to vote, basically thats that isnt it!

If you are required to have a TV licence by law surely you have to accept that!

Guest mcginlm72
I dont find his regime so democratic to be frank.:biggrin:.

If as a citizen you are required to vote, basically thats that isnt it!

If you are required to have a TV licence by law surely you have to accept that!

A TV licence and a vote are two completely different things voting is something that is a democratic right not law and that again for those who can't seem to grasp the obvious is the whole point it is not democracy when it is forced.

Guest mcginlm72
So dont vote when the time comes, simple as..!:biggrin:

I can see there is no point in continuing this as no-one seems to understand or care what an actual democracy is! you are probably all perfect candidates for citizenship to this country as you seem perfectly happy to do whatever you are told to regardless if it infringes on your rights! well done you are practically Australian already!

Guest siamsusie
I can see there is no point in continuing this as no-one seems to understand or care what an actual democracy is! you are probably all perfect candidates for citizenship to this country as you seem perfectly happy to do whatever you are told to regardless if it infringes on your rights! well done you are practically Australian already!

You know, It was my choice to come here, yes I too have an Australian husband, and I actually love living here warts and all.

If I were to wake up resentful and angry every day about a situation out of my control I would leave. Bitterness is in my opinion so destructive on yourself and those around you.

I operate on the principal as old fashioned as it sounds, that I stand by my husband's side, wherever I am in the world.... yes I am no Emily Pankhurst!

Give me something more concrete like inhumane treatment of mankind, I am up there with the best of them, but for voting rights :no:.

Susie

• 2 months later...
Guest tartandavid

Actually it is not a democracy here so the argument falls. There is no perfect system. I think it is better than being ruled by individuals who only 20% vote for. In Scotland it was even better - the country run by Torries in the 80's and no-one voted for them.

And we only vote for representatives - the Crown still makes the decisions.

Is it worth having citizenship, in my view yes it is. As we were not asked to revoke our British Citizenship we thought it was a very good idea and we both took it out before a lot of other British migrants bothered. This put us in good stead for voting, getting in and out of the country easily, plus the fact that as we were living here why not.

As for voting, in my view people who do not vote have no right to complain about anything, they can get on with their lives and not worry what is in the papers, what is being discussed by politicians because they the voter could not be bothered to delve into things and take a stand.

Voting is a privilege that a lot of people in the world do not have and we should cherish the right, our forefathers fought to get us a vote.

I think that you have gone a bit "over the top" here. Compulsory voting is a legal requirement in Australia, that's why you can be fined. Just as you would be fined in the UK for not having a TV license.

Democracy as you define it, ie people having the freedom to choose what they will or won't do, would actually be chaos not democracy. A democracy is where all of the people elect a government to administer the state and enact rules and regulations for the benefit of all. Human beings, as is their wont, will never all agree but the majority, more often than not, do.

When you say Australians are are happy to do as they are told shows, I think, that you have little knowledge of them.

Oh, I too am very glad and proud to be a Scot!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slipshot

I have to say I am with mcginlm72 here. The right to vote should be a right. If they really wanted you to be forced to vote, then they would check every ballot paper to ensure it was not spoiled if you do desired, and thus ensure everyone actually voted - to the extent that the number of votes cast = the population entitled to cast a vote, less those who chose not to and were fined.

Regardless, everyone will have a moan about goverment prcatices regasrdelss of who they voted for, so whether you vote or not, this will still happen. It is probabaly sad that such low percentages of peopole do vote, but that is their choice, in the same way it is their choice as to vote and who to do it.

I appreciate others may not see it this way, and fair enough. I just think it's forced.

I have yet to apply for citizenship and to be honest, the only reason I would so is for the convenience of an Australian passport for travelling. That does not mean I don;t enjoy living here, abide by the rules, and give to society. Citizenship makes little difference to me as a person and the way I behave in the country.

Guest Guest31881
Dont know if this is the correct place for this question, but has the ruling around citizenship changed at all, I have been here 4 years now, so when do I go for my citizenshipm?

Hi check out the citizenship wizard and then follow the instruction about becoming a citizen,

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/citizenshipwizard/'>http://www.citizenship.gov.au/citizenshipwizard/

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

The two links above will help you sort out citizenship, It is 4 years of which I believe at one year has to be on PR.

Archived