Land of hope and glory?

Guest Jarper

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aussie in Scotland
I would imagine the post you quoted was directed at the OP ?

JT1977 and Jarper....but the offer of help is to all Poms moving to the Sunshine Coast.

I've been already informed of surf schools by another poster, thanks for your effort. I don't need to learn to surf as I have finished surfing almost 10 years ago after an injury. And do you know what? I still think the south west of the UK has more surf culture than the whole coast of WA. I rest my case.

You rest your case??

There have been some absurd statements on PomsInOz, but the South West of the UK having more surf culture than Western Australia is just :biglaugh:!!!

People in the South West of England surf because they want to be 'seen' to surf, hence why you have seen them:wink:. People in Australia (WA included) surf because they want to surf. Surfing mostly happens on beaches that are not touristy, unlike the coast of South West England, thats why you haven't seen them ;) maybe you could set up a surf school, been the expert an all?

However, You didn't realise that the Great Barrier Reef had an impact on the surf in Northern Queensland??:goofy:

People in Australia surf as part of a culture, people in the UK surf to get their **** sucked, i rest my case!!

People in the South West of England surf because they want to be 'seen' to surf, hence why you have seen them:wink:. People in Australia (WA included) surf because they want to surf.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

What an absolute tosh.

Guest davethebear
The Australian way of life. I have recently taken to referring to it as "the Australian art of a 75-year-long death" which is harsh but adaquetly conveys my depressing feelings of emptiness, alienation and above all absolute frustration with the lack of culture and abundance of ignorance that plagues this land that has been driving me up the wall for the past 30 months.

I often dream of the day when I will hop on 'North Korean Airlines Flight 666' and spend a sleepless 26 hours as a diarrhetic vomiting vegetable, touch down at Heathrow and queue for seven years just to rid my bowels of the plastic Vietnamese (or somethingese) plane (and plain) food that smelled funny, wade naked through a freezingly cold white sheet of arctic snow in the coldest day on record with fiesty wind that would peirce twenty layers of coyote fur, only to spend my life savings on a neverending pile of fish and chips and SMILE > :smile:

Instead I am here on the internet once again, alone and miserable. Friendships have crumbled as people change and move on and forget. My confidence is nonexistent. I cannot remember the last time I had a conversation concerning politics or philosophy or religion or real music or film. I cannot remember the last time I met somebody who recently read an interesting book or watched international news. I cannot remember the last time I met somebody who had an opinion on something other than surfing, AFL/NRL/other acronyms, and other sports and petty things in which I have little interest.

I am not prejudiced against Australians, and I'm not foolish enough to believe that all 20 million Aussies are imbisiles nor that all 60 million Brits are Einsteins, but I find a lifestyle like this wholly unhealthy for the brain (and I can say firsthand that in my experience the education system here IS inferior) just as the pathetic bout of media induced self-loathing that Britons partake in is unhealthy in all regards. It is absolutely true that you NEVER know the real value of something until it is taken away, so perhaps the culture shock I have endured for the past 2.5 years will prove to be an eye opener, a good thing in the long run. Now, though, I can't wait to go home in 2014. Before you say it, yes, I have been back, at winter's peak, and loved it.

Anyway, thanks for reading (if you bothered...), writing disjointed rants tends to help me deal with things and I'm already feeling a bit better. I didn't intend to insult anyone, sorry for all my spelling mistakes, best of luck to all potential expats, and now you must forgive me for being patriotic...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Well that sums everything up, I couldn't have written it better myself. Luckily I am flying back to the land of the living and away from heavens waiting room in 13 weeks time........Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

All the best to ya mate, hope you work it all out......................

Guest guest30038

People in Australia surf as part of a culture, people in the UK surf to get their **** sucked, i rest my case!!

My wife and I walked the Cornish Coastal Path as one of our holidays. We had a rest day at Porthleven and simply chilled out on the beach...............the surf was perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the regulars there. What had us in stictches was the number of blokes (with surfboards) who never even went into the water. They simply drifted from girly group to girly group, carrying their surfboards. I'd hazard a guess that they were trying to impress............their long (blonde foiled) hair gave 'em away though :biglaugh:

Guest guest36762
My wife and I walked the Cornish Coastal Path as one of our holidays. We had a rest day at Porthleven and simply chilled out on the beach...............the surf was perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the regulars there. What had us in stictches was the number of blokes (with surfboards) who never even went into the water. They simply drifted from girly group to girly group, carrying their surfboards. I'd hazard a guess that they were trying to impress............their long (blonde foiled) hair gave 'em away though :biglaugh:

probably Aussies!:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

:laugh:I worked for the Barrabool Shire years ago and totally rebuilt the car park at Bells Beach in preparation for some surfing competition. Believe me judging by what we saw having a surfboard did not mean you were a surfer by any means. :wink:

probably Aussies!:biglaugh:

Guest JT1977

One of the best walks I have ever done!

Yes, when I done it, it was in the summer, during the UK surfing competition and there were loads of people who had surfboards but never went in the water. One lot got on our nerves, so we went over when they were showing off and asked them for a demonstration, they were trying to say that they have already had their time, now it was time to relax etc, we then proceeded to let the girls know exactly what they had done.

Needless to say, they went off to find another beach after the word spread around the whole beach! Then later on, in a pub in Newquay, they were drunk and thought that they could take on half a dozen squaddies. Oh fun times! :D

Guest MongooseB

Jarper, if the UK is what you want, you're going to have a hard time finding it in Australia mate! I beg the question...why did you make the move to a country which you knew doesn't experience Arctic winters? Why did you move to a country where surfing and sport rate high on their list of pastimes? If wading naked through snow tickles your fancy, best you move back to the Arctic.

Sorry Australia isn't your cup of tea.

]My wife and I walked the Cornish Coastal Path a[/b]s one of our holidays. We had a rest day at Porthleven and simply chilled out on the beach...............the surf was perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the regulars there. What had us in stictches was the number of blokes (with surfboards) who never even went into the water. They simply drifted from girly group to girly group' date=' carrying their surfboards. I'd hazard a guess that they were trying to impress............their long (blonde foiled) hair gave 'em away though :biglaugh:[/quote']

Done it in the winter, boy the seas were fantastic