UK Learner driver

Guest AliC

Hi,

I have held a UK provisional licence since 2009, been having lessons for a year and just failed my second driving test - drat! We arrive in Brisbane beg of June and am struggling to rebook a test in UK. Will I have to be a learner for 12 months before taking Australian test?

If so how much of an issue will it be to not drive? I have two young children and will not be working. We will live in central Brisbane for first month then look to move out to suburbs although not sure where yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi AliC

Welcome to PiO! I'm not 100% sure about the timing thing (like whether you still have to learn for 12 months) but you should be able to re-claim around 50 hours of your UK driving experiences for your logbook and my gf who is learning to drive at the moment seems to think you won't have to have it for 12 months (even though you'll need to get up to the 100 hours experience including a minimum of 10 hours night driving) and for this you'll need a supervisor (can be a qualified instructor or a friend or anyone who's over a certain age - I think it's 18 or 21 and held an open license for more than 1 year).

I haven't started yet. But I need to find out soon I guess. So if someone doesn't post a definite answer in the next few days I will make a note to find out for myself and let you know as well :biggrin:

Welcome to PiO by the way! I almost forgot, how rude of me :wubclub:

Hi, If I was you I would be doing everything i could to pass my test in the UK, you dont want to be filling out that driving log there is also a theory test and while you are on a you P plates you cant drive after midnight and before 5am (I think they are the times) pass it in the uk and you just take your license in to qld transport for a australian license.:confused:

Thanks for replies.

As I understand it because of my age , 31, I will not be expected to log the 100 hours but uncertain if I still need to be a learner for 12 months?