Can we return to live in Oz after 5-yr rentry visa expiry 8 years ago?

barbaitch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ComingDownUnder

Just stumbled across this post today and am welling up at your much deserved 'happy ever after' - May your future in Oz be as wonderful as your past x

Hi barbaitch,

I have a few questions if you are ready.

q1

What length of RRV did they grant you? 5years or 3 months?

q2

Do you have to provide proof of ties beforehand or are they only asking for it now?

q3

My folks left OZ a little over 10 years ago. Is that a problem? They have never had an RRV since their perm residency expired.

TV

Hi TheVet:

I'm ready and willing to give any help I can, but I must say I only know a miniscule fraction compared to the fabulous 'Gollywobbler' (Gill), who is an absolute mine of information and I urge you to seek her out on 'PomsInAdelaide' and explain your parents' dilemma to her. She's given loads of great advice and guidance to plenty of ex-PRs and aged parents wanting to migrate to Oz on 'PomsInOz' in the past, which is still there somewhere, but you'll have to search for it. I'm sure the moderators on these forums will be able to help you there. Gollywobbler is now with 'PomsInAdelaide', so please try there.

To answer your Q1: I was granted a full five-year RRV. My agent said it's effective immediately and that my previous Permanent Residential status has been fully restored, with all pension rights and benefits.

Q2: Yes, I had to provide proof of close personal ties to Oz by way of Marriage Certificate (I met and married my husband in Sydney in 1960); Birth Certificate of our daughter (born in Sydneyin '61), as well as certified copies of Birth/Citizenship Certificates of both my parents and sister. I also arranged for Letters of Support from our close old Oz friends (most of whom we've known since the mid-'70s, after we returned to Oz in 1974).

I also had to provide compelling reasons why we stayed away from Australia as long as we did. This was our main area of worry, because we didn't think it was a strong enough reason, but thankfully DIAC accepted it (Bill's elderly widowed father had become dependent on us staying in England, as we were his only close family left). Sadly, Bill's dad died in 2007, but we didn't return to Oz because we assumed we'd lost all rights of residency in 2001 when our last RRVs expired. It was only through reading a similar thread to our situation on PIO last April, when I found out about the '10-year absence from Oz' condition under immigration rules, and got me started on this 8-month nail-biting 'journey', which led me to where we are today, and I'll be eternally grateful to PingPongPom2 for writing the original thread that got me thinking in the first place! Wherever she is, I send her my deepest, most sincere thanks!

Q3: I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that if your parents returned to the UK just over 10 years ago, and providing they had RRVs when they left Oz, then they'll still be well within the '10-year absence from Oz since expiry of the last RRVs' condition - which must mean they're in with a great chance of being granted new Visas - providing of course they can prove close personal ties with Oz (which they clearly can, with you being their Son?). Oh, I hope that is the case!

In any event, I can't stress enough how much I urge you to contact a good migration agent to talk things over. I suggest you contact Allan Collett of 'Go Matilda', whom I've only heard good things about through PIO. If he doesn't have a Brisbane branch of Go Matilda, he'll no doubt be able to recommend a reputable agent in Brisbane you could go and chat with to see where you stand and whether or not it's worth proceeding with an application for RRVs for your parents. I believe Allan offers an initial without-charge phone contact, which should set you off on the right road to begin with. It's got to be worth giving it a go talking to the people who really know what's what?

I'm only a novice myself, and wouldn't be in this happy place I'm in now without my two wonderful agents: Ian Harrop & Associates (UK) and Brian Jones (Adelaide).

Best of luck to you all, TV.

So whens the " move " ??? Please please keep us posted ,

lee

Hi Mr F: We're still on Cloud Nine after hearing the fantastic news from our agent last Wednesday, and are all over the place with 'what we're going to do next' decisions. First up though, is to get my husband's RRV sorted. Our agent said it's just a formality since we've been married 51 years, so we're hoping it'll only be a couple of forms to fill in when we see him later this week.

We're returning to England on Jan 17, and will get to work putting the finishing touches to our home asap, so it's ready to sell when the market picks up again - whenever that might be! Thankfully, we have the luxury of time since we've been granted a 5-year RRV, which makes things so much easier. If we'd been granted a 3-month RRV, we'd have started panicking already, as there's so much to do back in England before we can make the move to Oz! However, with time on our side, we plan to do a few things before we return to Oz - like take some European holidays we've denied ourselves these past 18 years since we left Oz - although we've visited Oz 14 times since 1993, so no-one could say we've done nothing!!

Because the UK is still in recession, we can't even start thinking about selling our home at the moment. This means we might even rent it out for a few years after we return to Oz. There's nothing definite planned. We'll have to wait and see.

But what we do know is that we're thrilled to bits to know we can go back to Oz and that we'll be going for Citizenship as soon as possible!!

Our family and friends in Oz are over-the-moon about it! It's a great feeling to know so many people are really happy for us! We must have done something right...

Thanks for your interest, Mr F. I'll keep you informed through PIO.

All the best.

PS: What's your status??

Certainly is a lot for you to consider and impliment back in the uk , we can all appreciate that one :-)

Sounds like your being very sensible about things even tho you must be very excited about returning to Oz , if it were me my house would be on the market now !

My status ?? just going through the process . hopefully have my trade confirmed and state sponsorship sorted by end of jan then aubmit my 176 to DIAC as soon as i can . its a juggle but will be shutting down my uk life as i submit my application so i can move as soon as its granted . if i have a few months hang time then thats cool , will move in with my parents and wait for the visa to land . the way the house market is at the mo i think this will be the deciding factor for me, it could be on the market for a while . but being the optomist that i am hopefully everything will go to plan and my visa will be granted on the day i complete the house sale and then its hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo OZ :biggrin:

lee

Thanks, Paul1Perth:

All this lovely feedback has been great!

Regarding our UK pension, I'm not quite sure how it works between the UK and Oz. We're seeing our agent tomorrow for Bill (my husband) to sign the form for his RRV, so we'll ask him then, although he did tell us last week when he brought round my letter of confirmation from DIAC that I now have full Australian pension rights with immediate effect. But because we're returning to England on 17 January, we'll stay with our UK pension until we're ready to return to Oz permanently. As we need to get our home ready for the market, this will take some time and we don't know yet when we'll come back. Because the property market is at rock bottom in the UK, we're in no hurry to sell, so may rent it out if we decide to return to Oz sooner rather than later.

It's all in the lap of the gods, and we'll take it a step at a time.

It's all good and we're really enjoying the moment.

Are you in Perth Scotland or Perth WA? Wishing you all the best.

barbh

Great to hear a story like this with such a happy ending. May I ask what happens with your UK pension? Does it just get transferred at the going exchange rate or do you just change to the Oz pension?

• 3 months later...

Just want to tell all you lovely PomsInOzzers that Bill, my husband (aged 72 in May), is running in the Hastings Half Marathon tomorrow morning (kicks off at 10/30am Sunday morning); something he's never done before. The mad thing is that we've both got humungous butterflies (I'm not running, but I'm videoing it for our family in Oz, so am feeling pretty hyper myself because I've never done it before and must get it right! It's a big 'ask', as I'm no Spring chicken myself (72 next birthday, too!!!) Eeek!), BUT it's now 20 past midnight and we're both still up and not a bit tired -- Bill's watching a movie on tv and I'm 'PomsInOzzing' -- and we have to be up by 7.30am to get ourselves organised and psyched up before kick-off!! How mad is that?? Very...! Wish him luck; he's running for a good cause: Colitis and Crohn's Disease. Happy days, PIO! x

Thank you so much for your lovely message, Thorpes! Bill did the Hastings Half Marathon this morning in just under his own estimate of 2hrs 40mins, although we haven't received official confirmation yet. He's absolutely shattered, but very very happy! I videoed the event (it's a very heady moment when the official starting gun fires and the first strains of the theme tune from 'Chariots of Fire' begins, and builds until it reaches a mighty level and continues playing until the very last of the 4,000-plus runners have set off on their 13.1mile endurance run. As Bill passed our house (where I was standing high on a ladder in the porch with my camcorder), he jumped out from the crowd onto the pavement and I shouted "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" He was running at a fair old pace and shouted back "Oi! Oi! Oi! and then high-fived two or three of our neighbours who were standing outside their homes waiting for him to go by!!! I nearly fell off my lofty perch as I turned to watch him disappear in a blur of bobbing heads and off into the distance. It was brilliant! It's no secret the Hastings Half is one of the worst, because much of it is uphill, although evidently it's the downhill sections that do most damage!! As testament to that, he knew he was in trouble at about seven miles in, when he felt new pain in his feet, although didn't know to what extent. When he entered the home straight, he was really struggling - and no longer running! - but I recognised him amongst other runners in the distance, and as he came within shouting distance I again called out: "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!", but all he could manage was a little wave back as he staggered by and on towards the finish. Although three of Bill's toenails are now black, bloody and proud of their beds (I'll be very surprised if he doesn't lose them all), he's on Cloud Nine right now! And, after an energy drink, a cool bath and warm shower, he and I went to our local pub 'The Bo Peep' -- whose team of regulars ran on behalf of Colitis and Crohn's Disease -- for after-event celebrations! After a while, I couldn't hack the noise, so left them all to it an hour ago. I don't know what time he'll be home, but who cares? My old man is one very happy bunny and loving this very special moment! And I can't stop smiling.....

Edited by barbaitch
omitted distance when foot pain first struck

• 5 months later...

Oh my goodness..thank you so much for your message on my my post about TV'S!!!..i am absolutely delighted for you & your husband that you eventually received your RRV's:wink:..i have not been on PIO much in the last couple of years & so have not seen your updates, but have just read all the posts after your very first one..what a wonderful story & well done for getting good advice, and seeing the process through..you certainly had to jump hoops!..it was a pleasure to help you and i am so pleased it turned out the way it did, with much encouragement & support from fellow PIOers:biggrin:..we are on our way back in November & very excited about returning to Perth!..thank you for your well wishes & all the best for a wonderful life in Adelaide yourselves..it would be lovely to keep in touch with you now..take care xxx

• 4 years later...

Hi, to all the lovely members of Poms in Oz and Poms in Adelaide. It's been a while since my last post, I know, but I'm moved to make contact again for two reasons. The first, and maybe the most important, is to say I only found out this evening that our wonderful Gollywobbler (Gill), passed away in January of this year. To say I'm feeling very sad is an understatement. She gave so much to members, old and new, of PIO and PIA, insofar as migration matters were concerned, and helped countless numbers of people who didn't know which way to turn about starting their migration journeys to Oz. We had some contact through these forums, but although we never met in person, I knew she was a wonderful human being. Such a sad loss. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

My second reason for visiting PIO today pales into insignificance after such sad, heart-rending news about dear Gill, but because my husband and I owe so much to members following my initial plea for help and advice back in 2011 about the possibility of returning to Oz after a long absence, and the sound advice we received which resulted in having our permanent residential status restored in 2012, I felt I should let you all know that we have finally received our official date for our Citizenship ceremony and are thrilled to say we'll become Australian Citizens on 23 January 2017. It's been a long road, but one we're very happy to have travelled. Thank you to everyone who contributed with help and advice, especially in the early days.

I so wish I could have told Gollywobbler about our happy ending. She'd have raised a glass or three, I know. I'm raising one to her now. God bless her lovely heart.

Edited by barbaitch

Hi, to all the lovely members of Poms in Oz and Poms in Adelaide. It's been a while since my last post, I know, but I'm moved to make contact again for two reasons. The first, and maybe the most important, is to say I only found out this evening that our wonderful Gollywobbler (Gill), passed away in January of this year. To say I'm feeling very sad is an understatement. She gave so much to members, old and new, of PIO and PIA, insofar as migration matters were concerned, and helped countless numbers of people who didn't know which way to turn about starting their migration journeys to Oz. We had some contact through these forums, but although we never met in person, I knew she was a wonderful human being. Such a sad loss. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.

My second reason for visiting PIO today pales into insignificance after such sad, heart-rending news about dear Gill, but because my husband and I owe so much to members following my initial plea for help and advice back in 2011 about the possibility of returning to Oz after a long absence, and the sound advice we received which resulted in having our permanent residential status restored in 2012, I felt I should let you all know that we have finally received our official date for our Citizenship ceremony and are thrilled to say we'll become Australian Citizens on 23 January 2017. It's been a long road, but one we're very happy to have travelled. Thank you to everyone who contributed with help and advice, especially in the early days.

I so wish I could have told Gollywobbler about our happy ending. She'd have raised a glass or three, I know. I'm raising one to her now. God bless her lovely heart.

Wonderful news about the Citizenship - a great Christmas and New Years Gift.

Fantastic news for you both. Roll on the 230117.

B