You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Exile

Roadtrip NSW. Doable?

Next weekend is the 5 day Easter weekend. Me and the OH have taken the Thursday and the following Wednesday off work, giving us 7 days.

We just bought a new car (Accord Euro) and were hoping to take it for a roadtrip and see some of the state. I'm working on my music playlists at the moment, as is she.

Do you think this route is achievable, It works out to be around 1800km:

Sydney

Lithgow

Mudgee

Sofala

Orange

Parkes

Forbes

Cowra

Young

Wagga Wagga

Tumut

Perisher Blue

Jindabyne

Cooma

Canberra

Goulburn

Kangaroo Valley

Bowral

Can anyone suggest any things to do in any of the destinations, particularly the middle areas from Orange to Wagga?

How long should we spend in key areas and how many of them are simply 'just pass through' areas?

I had earmarked night stops in Mudgee, Forbes, Tumut/Perisher, Canberra and the Kangaroo Valley - though we are not going to book accommodation, just see where we end up.

And finally, if you feel up to it, name your recommended roadtrip songs? (try and limit it to three)

Try and visit Gundagai, it's pretty, steeped in history ( dog in tuckerbox etc) plenty of campsites & motels, not far from tumet

Mmmmm songs

Road to Nowhere, Talking heads

Losing my religion, REM

I drove all night, Cyndi Lauper/Roy orbison

Perhaps I haven't got over my last roadtrip yet, SA to NSW,:eek:

It's probably do-able but FFS watch your speed!

Remember, it's double demerits for most of those dates and there's a lot of miles on rural roads in there.

We drove from Sydney to Canberra on Christmas Eve we went through 5 speed cameras - all of them hidden in sneaky spots like just round the bend at the bottom of a hill after a nice long straight bit of road. Luckily I had the cruise control on so it wasn't a problem...but it was fairly close on a couple of occasions

You don't need to get pinged many times on a five day trip (and it's easily done if you're in a line of cars all moving at the same speeed) and that's your licence gone!

I'd maybe leave out one or two destinations just so you can get to them all and stay comfortably within the limit.

As for road songs - it has to be It's Immaterial"s "Driving Away From Home (Jim's Tune)"

you might want to rethink not booking accomodation on easter+anzac weekend...

music: eye of the tiger for those dirt-road moments.

Oh and since you've not got a 4WD, don't drive too fast on the dirt roads if you encounter any, you really don't want your engine shaking itself off.

My mother in law is coming from Brisbane to Melbourne next week and is driving in 3 days. I need a drink already.

Songs

I like driving in my car - Madness

Highway to Hell - ACDC

(You drive me) Crazy - Britney Spears

Anything by Rolf Harris/Crash Test Dummies

you might want to rethink not booking accommodation on Easter+Anzac weekend... .

I have thought about that. The fact is that we don't want to have to stay somewhere if we think its crap and we could happily move on.

I think the Easter Sunday will be a definite pre-book because a lot of places would be closed/booked. But I think we will take a chance with everything else

Remember, it's double demerits for most of those dates and there's a lot of miles on rural roads in there.

Damn, that's a very good point. I don't have any demerit points against my license, neither does she, but with the zero tolerance attitude displayed by the NSW govt and RTA, it pays to be extra careful over the long weekends.

Do they legally have to advertise the presence of fixed speed cameras?

Try and visit Gundagai, it's pretty, steeped in history ( dog in tuckerbox etc) plenty of campsites & motels, not far from tumet

certainly will do. I'm a stickler for historical buildings, settlements etc, something which Australia sadly lacks in compared to my home back in Europe.

So I generally love these old towns dotted around Australia, usually gold rush boom towns that just sort of stuck around

Songs

I like driving in my car - Madness

absolutely not. Madness freak me out in the same way that clowns do. There's too much "happy sinister" going on, and it makes me wary of them :biggrin:

Do they legally have to advertise the presence of fixed speed cameras?

Fixed yes - and there's plenty of time to slow down.

But as for mobile traps - don't think so.

They put up a little sign but it's so close to the radar that it's impossible to read, check your speed and if necessary slow down in time before you're there.

One of the ones we went through just had a liittle RTA notice saying "your speed has been checked" and that was it.

I was using this trip as an excuse to try out cruise control anyway.

havent given it a whirl on the new car yet

Just set it at about 5kph below the limit and you'll be fine.

Oh yes, and those people you'll see coming in the opposite direction flashing their lights? Well they haven't all mistaken you for someone they know so don't bother waving back at them!

Have a safe trip.

We drove from Sydney to Canberra on Christmas Eve we went through 5 speed cameras - all of them hidden in sneaky spots like just round the bend at the bottom of a hill after a nice long straight bit of road. Luckily I had the cruise control on so it wasn't a problem...but it was fairly close on a couple of occasions

You don't need to get pinged many times on a five day trip (and it's easily done if you're in a line of cars all moving at the same speeed) and that's your licence gone!

I'd maybe leave out one or two destinations just so you can get to them all and stay comfortably within the limit.

As for road songs - it has to be It's Immaterial"s "Driving Away From Home (Jim's Tune)"

buy yourself a UHF and stick it on channel 40. Problem solved

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

I wouldn't plan to much, take a laptop with you so you can find last minute deals on hotels etc.

Some places that while on the map look devoid of life will take you a full day to explore while towns that look worth a visit are only worth a drive through.

If it's only you and your partner fly by the seat of your pants you'll have a ball and wont be tied down to being at a certain point at a certain time

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy: