Category 4 How can we possibly get processed?

Guest garynhelen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest leoj76

just read this forum... its very interresting, the way some guys here is still very hopefull and still full of faith!!!

well im also in the same boat " category 4 april 2008" but without the faith!!!!

plz.. guys keep this forum updated!!!!

does anyone have any news orheard something somewhere!!!!

ived read some where that some guys in category 3 sep 2010. get visas!!! does that means we are not very far behind???

leo.

just read this forum... its very interresting, the way some guys here is still very hopefull and still full of faith!!!

well im also in the same boat " category 4 april 2008" but without the faith!!!!

plz.. guys keep this forum updated!!!!

does anyone have any news orheard something somewhere!!!!

ived read some where that some guys in category 3 sep 2010. get visas!!! does that means we are not very far behind???

leo.

Yeah it looks that way and after Dec their doesn't look to be many as it is allot harder now to meet they requirement.

Tania

Thank you guys for keeping the forum going so well. I am positive that we Cat 4 will hear something after July 2011. It's also good news that DIAC look to processing this category in date order, which means the applicants waiting the longest will be processed the fastest. I keep looking out on the net to see if there is any news about our category and of course if I hear anything, I will post immediately. At least we have this forum on which we can help each other and keep each other's dream alive, which I am sure we will be able to live hopefully soon. Can you imagine the first Cat 4 applicant posting on here that he/she has a CO? I think they should be in line for a prize and I bet they will not believe it for quite sometime themselves.

Guest leoj76
Thank you guys for keeping the forum going so well. I am positive that we Cat 4 will hear something after July 2011. It's also good news

I will celebrate the day the firts cat 4 got a CO!!!!!!:wink:

Guest garynhelen
You might want to wait until you have finished your course and then re-apply. They are always crying out for nurses.

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately by the time I qualify I will be 45, so too old to re apply! One of the reasons I decided to take this course is so that if/when we get a visa, I will be more employable.

Thank you guys for keeping the forum going so well. I am positive that we Cat 4 will hear something after July 2011. It's also good news that DIAC look to processing this category in date order, which means the applicants waiting the longest will be processed the fastest. I keep looking out on the net to see if there is any news about our category and of course if I hear anything, I will post immediately. At least we have this forum on which we can help each other and keep each other's dream alive, which I am sure we will be able to live hopefully soon. Can you imagine the first Cat 4 applicant posting on here that he/she has a CO? I think they should be in line for a prize and I bet they will not believe it for quite sometime themselves.

And I shall be the first one to inform you that I got the CASE OFFICER.. And this good news will come to me in July August.

Yes the other possibility would be that my application is capped and ceased... That will be the worst day of my life....Anyways life never stops...Show will go on..

Here is some fantastic news for us. Please see below the article I came accross this morning:

Update on 2011-12 Migration Program, New Skilled Migration Points Test and Selection Model

By Mark Webster

27 May 2011

The Department of Immigration has made further details available on the 2011-12 Migration Program, the new Skilled Migration Points Test to apply from 1 July 2011, and the new Skilled Migration Selection Model to apply from 1 July 2012.

2011-12 Migration Program

The broad numbers for the 2011-12 Migration Program were announced on Budget night on 10 May 2011. However, DIAC has now released more exact details of the numbers for each of the skilled and family streams by visa type.

Below is a table summarising the program numbers by visa type for the 2011-12 financial year:

2010-11 2011-12 Change

Family Stream

Partner 42000 45400 3400

Child 3300 3450 150

Preferential/Other Family 750 1250 500

Parent 1000 2000 1000

Contributory Parent 7500 6500 -1000

Total Family Stream 54550 58600 4050

Skilled Stream

ENS + Labour Agreement 33990 30000 -3990

RSMS 10160 16000 5840

Total Employer Sponsored 44150 46000 1850

Skilled - Independent 34200 44350 10150

Skilled - State/Territory Sponsored 24000 24000 0

Skilled - Australian Sponsored 3500 4100 600

Total GSM 61700 72450 10750

Distinguished Talent 200 200 0

Business Skills 7800 7200 -600

Total Skilled Stream 113850 125850 12000

Special Eligibility 300 550 250

Total Migration Program 168700 185000 16300

It will be a great relief to people who have lodged for General Skilled visas to see that the total number of places allocated to this program has increased by 10,750 places. This should hopefully reduce the pipeline of applications considerably, and we are hoping that the backlog of priority group 4 applications will reduced in the coming program year.

There is also an increase of 3,400 in the partner stream which will go a long way to reducing the waiting time for people sponsoring partners.

New Skilled Migration Points Test

There have been a number of changes to the new points test to be introduced on 1 July 2011.

The legislation supporting the new points test has not yet been released, but we are expecting it will be available in the next couple of weeks.

Points for Work Experience

The initial announcement of points available for work experience only allowed recent work experience to be counted (for example, requiring the applicant to show they had worked in skilled employment for 3 of the last 5 years).

It is now clear that any work experience accumulated in the last 10 years will count for points:

Australian Work Experience Overseas Work Experience Points

1 of last 10 years 3 of last 10 years 5

3 of last 10 years 5 of last 10 years 10

5 of last 10 years 8 of last 10 years 15

These changes will be of great benefit to people who have had career breaks or who have changed occupation in the last 10 years.

It would also make it much easier to count both Australian and overseas work experience points at the same time - for instance if an applicant has worked in Australia for 3 of the last 10 years and also overseas for 5 of the last 10 years. A maximum of 20 points would be available in combining overseas and Australian work experience in this way.

Assessment of work experience will be done at the skills assessment stage. This means that skills assessing authorities will issue an opinion as to the amount of work experience an applicant has in their occupation, or closely related occupation. That might result in higher skills assessment fees for applicants who wish to claim points for work experience (eg for Nursing and other occupations which do not require evidence of work experience at the skills assessment stage).

Points for Overseas Qualification

Under the points test announced in November 2010, points are available for overseas PhDs, bachelor and master degrees, and recognised trade qualifications.

However, no points were available for people who held an overseas diploma-level qualification. This seems likely to change and it may be possible to obtain points for diploma-level qualifications obtained overseas. In claiming these points, an assessment of equivalency will be required from the skills assessing authority.

In the case that a skills assessing authority is not able to assess the equivalency of the qualification, an applicant may need to apply to AEI NOOSR for an assessment.

Selection Model Update

Additional information has been made available about how the new selection model to come into operation on 1 July 2012 will work.

The selection model will involve applicants first lodging an Expression of Interest, which is then assessed by the Department of Immigration. For selected applicants, a invitation to apply for a General Skilled or employer sponsored visa will then be issued.

The selection model will operate in a similar way to the Australian University admissions process in that a threshold pass mark will be set for each occupation to regulate the number of applicants issued with invitations to apply. For example, the threshold points score for a medical practitioner may be 50, whereas the required points for more common occupations such as accountants might be 70.

There is likely to be a fee for lodgement of an Expression of Interest to deter frivolous applications - there is no indication at this point as to how much the fee will be, but it is likely to be significantly less than the visa application fee (currently $2,575 but due to rise by 15% on 1 July 2011).

The current number of points tested skilled visa types is likely to be reduced significantly. Most likely there will be only two subclasses - a sponsored and an unsponsored type. Applicants can apply for either subclass onshore or offshore. This means that the applicant can either be in Australia or overseas at time of application and at time of grant of the application. It would also mean that bridging visas would be available for a much wider range of people applying for skilled migration - currently only international students and NZ citizens are eligible for bridging visas when applying for points tested skilled migration.

As new visa subclasses will be introduced, the current GSM subclasses will be more open to management by the "cap and cease" method. The Department of Immigration is not yet inclined to manage the backlog of applications via cap and cease, but introducing new subclasses will make cap and cease for older cases significantly easier.

DIAC has confirmed that when the system is introduced on 1 July 2012, it will take time for the system to populate, and that no offers are likely to be issued until January 2013. This means that the points tested skilled program will be closed to most applicants for 6 months. This is good news for people with applications in the skilled migration pipeline, but bad news for people who

DIAC is still to decide on how to handle "time of application" requirements such as English language, skills assessment, work experience and age. It is quite possible though that the time of application requirements will be taken as of the date the Expression of Interest is lodged, rather than when the visa application itself is lodged. This would be a fairer way to run the system as it would not be possible for an applicant to predict how long the Department of Immigration would take to process an Expression of Interest.

We expect further details to be released any day, so please register on our site for updates or contact us for advice on your situation.

Here is some fantastic news for us. Please see below the article I came accross this morning:

Update on 2011-12 Migration Program, New Skilled Migration Points Test and Selection Model

By Mark Webster

27 May 2011

The Department of Immigration has made further details available on the 2011-12 Migration Program, the new Skilled Migration Points Test to apply from 1 July 2011, and the new Skilled Migration Selection Model to apply from 1 July 2012.

2011-12 Migration Program

The broad numbers for the 2011-12 Migration Program were announced on Budget night on 10 May 2011. However, DIAC has now released more exact details of the numbers for each of the skilled and family streams by visa type.

Below is a table summarising the program numbers by visa type for the 2011-12 financial year:

2010-11 2011-12 Change

Family Stream

Partner 42000 45400 3400

Child 3300 3450 150

Preferential/Other Family 750 1250 500

Parent 1000 2000 1000

Contributory Parent 7500 6500 -1000

Total Family Stream 54550 58600 4050

Skilled Stream

ENS + Labour Agreement 33990 30000 -3990

RSMS 10160 16000 5840

Total Employer Sponsored 44150 46000 1850

Skilled - Independent 34200 44350 10150

Skilled - State/Territory Sponsored 24000 24000 0

Skilled - Australian Sponsored 3500 4100 600

Total GSM 61700 72450 10750

Distinguished Talent 200 200 0

Business Skills 7800 7200 -600

Total Skilled Stream 113850 125850 12000

Special Eligibility 300 550 250

Total Migration Program 168700 185000 16300

It will be a great relief to people who have lodged for General Skilled visas to see that the total number of places allocated to this program has increased by 10,750 places. This should hopefully reduce the pipeline of applications considerably, and we are hoping that the backlog of priority group 4 applications will reduced in the coming program year.

There is also an increase of 3,400 in the partner stream which will go a long way to reducing the waiting time for people sponsoring partners.

New Skilled Migration Points Test

There have been a number of changes to the new points test to be introduced on 1 July 2011.

The legislation supporting the new points test has not yet been released, but we are expecting it will be available in the next couple of weeks.

Points for Work Experience

The initial announcement of points available for work experience only allowed recent work experience to be counted (for example, requiring the applicant to show they had worked in skilled employment for 3 of the last 5 years).

It is now clear that any work experience accumulated in the last 10 years will count for points:

Australian Work Experience Overseas Work Experience Points

1 of last 10 years 3 of last 10 years 5

3 of last 10 years 5 of last 10 years 10

5 of last 10 years 8 of last 10 years 15

These changes will be of great benefit to people who have had career breaks or who have changed occupation in the last 10 years.

It would also make it much easier to count both Australian and overseas work experience points at the same time - for instance if an applicant has worked in Australia for 3 of the last 10 years and also overseas for 5 of the last 10 years. A maximum of 20 points would be available in combining overseas and Australian work experience in this way.

Assessment of work experience will be done at the skills assessment stage. This means that skills assessing authorities will issue an opinion as to the amount of work experience an applicant has in their occupation, or closely related occupation. That might result in higher skills assessment fees for applicants who wish to claim points for work experience (eg for Nursing and other occupations which do not require evidence of work experience at the skills assessment stage).

Points for Overseas Qualification

Under the points test announced in November 2010, points are available for overseas PhDs, bachelor and master degrees, and recognised trade qualifications.

However, no points were available for people who held an overseas diploma-level qualification. This seems likely to change and it may be possible to obtain points for diploma-level qualifications obtained overseas. In claiming these points, an assessment of equivalency will be required from the skills assessing authority.

In the case that a skills assessing authority is not able to assess the equivalency of the qualification, an applicant may need to apply to AEI NOOSR for an assessment.

Selection Model Update

Additional information has been made available about how the new selection model to come into operation on 1 July 2012 will work.

The selection model will involve applicants first lodging an Expression of Interest, which is then assessed by the Department of Immigration. For selected applicants, a invitation to apply for a General Skilled or employer sponsored visa will then be issued.

The selection model will operate in a similar way to the Australian University admissions process in that a threshold pass mark will be set for each occupation to regulate the number of applicants issued with invitations to apply. For example, the threshold points score for a medical practitioner may be 50, whereas the required points for more common occupations such as accountants might be 70.

There is likely to be a fee for lodgement of an Expression of Interest to deter frivolous applications - there is no indication at this point as to how much the fee will be, but it is likely to be significantly less than the visa application fee (currently $2,575 but due to rise by 15% on 1 July 2011).

The current number of points tested skilled visa types is likely to be reduced significantly. Most likely there will be only two subclasses - a sponsored and an unsponsored type. Applicants can apply for either subclass onshore or offshore. This means that the applicant can either be in Australia or overseas at time of application and at time of grant of the application. It would also mean that bridging visas would be available for a much wider range of people applying for skilled migration - currently only international students and NZ citizens are eligible for bridging visas when applying for points tested skilled migration.

As new visa subclasses will be introduced, the current GSM subclasses will be more open to management by the "cap and cease" method. The Department of Immigration is not yet inclined to manage the backlog of applications via cap and cease, but introducing new subclasses will make cap and cease for older cases significantly easier.

DIAC has confirmed that when the system is introduced on 1 July 2012, it will take time for the system to populate, and that no offers are likely to be issued until January 2013. This means that the points tested skilled program will be closed to most applicants for 6 months. This is good news for people with applications in the skilled migration pipeline, but bad news for people who

DIAC is still to decide on how to handle "time of application" requirements such as English language, skills assessment, work experience and age. It is quite possible though that the time of application requirements will be taken as of the date the Expression of Interest is lodged, rather than when the visa application itself is lodged. This would be a fairer way to run the system as it would not be possible for an applicant to predict how long the Department of Immigration would take to process an Expression of Interest.

We expect further details to be released any day, so please register on our site for updates or contact us for advice on your situation.

Oh that is great information but it is threatening also. As they have also talked about the option of Cap and Cease.

Hey VB,

Yes, they do mention the possibility of reducing the subcategories. However when reading into this, it seems they are goind to do away with sub categories per se, and just have either onshore & offshore, independent & sponsored. The fact that they could use this to cap and cease us lot doesn't make sense, as we are all either or, if you get my point. I just think DIAC will eventually do away with 475s altogether and just have permanent visas etc. But this will be an internal matter and it could be that soon DIAC will announce that they have done away with subcategory 475 etc and all new applicants will have to categorise themselves in off or onshore, sponsored or independent. They could therefore not apply this retrospecitvely, as you can argue that you are either on/offshore or sponsored/independent. Your application would still fit in there. Let's look forward to getting our lives back on track! Bring on the processing of Category 4!!!

Guest claire146

Hi, just to give you a little hope, our application was lodged on 16/02/2010 and we have just been allocated a case officer, despite the fact we are cat 4. Maybe things are looking up finally for applicants!

Hi, just to give you a little hope, our application was lodged on 16/02/2010 and we have just been allocated a case officer, despite the fact we are cat 4. Maybe things are looking up finally for applicants!

I am happy that things are positive for you, but its really hard to believe that you got CO when 2007 Cat-4 applicants are waiting. Picture would be more clear if you Please mention your VISA CLASS, Nominated Occupation and any State sponsorship if you have?

also confirm how come you know that you have got CO? ... is it an email by him/her or just saw your status online as "Application being processed further"?

Guest claire146
Please mention your VISA CLASS, Nominated Occupation and any State sponsorship if you have?

also confirm how come you know that you have got CO? ... is it an email by him/her or just saw your status online as "Application being processed further"?

We're on a 176 Financial advisor NSW SS. Our agent contacted us to tell us we have a CO and they request police clearance forms and Medicals.

Guest majorie c
We're on a 176 Financial advisor NSW SS. Our agent contacted us to tell us we have a CO and they request police clearance forms and Medicals.

Claire,

Your occupation not on the new SMP? Thanks.....

Hello musmanasghar & Clarie,

You mean to say if the application status is shown as "Application being processed further"...meaning we have a CO assigned ?? :confused:

Guest claire146

No, it's not. I just had a look at the online status of our application but the system seems to be down at the moment. Anyway, we definetely have a CO on our application, and just thought I would let people know to give you a little bit more hope that your case will be looked into shortly.

No, it's not. I just had a look at the online status of our application but the system seems to be down at the moment. Anyway, we definetely have a CO on our application, and just thought I would let people know to give you a little bit more hope that your case will be looked into shortly.

Hi Claire,

Did your Agent confirm you are Cat 4? reason I ask is that like others have said their is a massive queue before yourself going back to Aug 2007 myself Nov 08, Diac have said they will start to look at Cat4 hopefully in July 2011 starting with the oldest lodged application this being 2007, If you are Cat 4 I would just say you are very lucky and have probably slipped through the net as this has happened in the past to 1 or 2 others.

Guest claire146

Yes, we are cat 4 because of when our application was lodged (16/02/10). I can only assume that we are like you said one of the lucky ones. I have to say, we wern't expecting anything back until the end of next year, so this was a very nice surprise!

Yes, we are cat 4 because of when our application was lodged (16/02/10). I can only assume that we are like you said one of the lucky ones. I have to say, we wern't expecting anything back until the end of next year, so this was a very nice surprise!

Sorry not sure what you mean because of when you lodged, when new priority's were introduced then that meant that we all was move around like before I was cat 5 now I am

cat 4 some were 6 or 7 and moved to cat 3 ect

You are not Priority 4, Financial Advisor is on the NSW SMP and as you previously were sponsored you would have been allocated a case officer as Priority 2. Priority 4 applications will not be allocated this financial year DIAC have advised they expect to be allocating some Priority 4 applications before January 2012 and would start with the oldest (pre 1/9/07 Onshore applications) Good luck anyway

Regards