Sign in to follow this  
Guest PeteC

Complicated Corporate Confusion

Guest PeteC

I'm posting this in the hope someone else has been through something similar maybe even with the same company I work for...

I work for GE Healthcare. GE Healthcare is a small part of the rather large and incredibly varied GE. I applied for and have got a job based in Sydney doing pretty much what I do now. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to do that and even better, it's a really good pay-rise. As per usual with HR Dept's, I don't think they know exactly how this cross-border stuff actually works (all will become clear). They did a contract for me and I signed it. They were saying that I would have to pay for everything and they would re-imburse me the money. Needless to say, that gets expensive FAST...

Now, today, I got an email saying HR in Oz had put all of my details onto the 'tool' without telling me what the 'tool' is. So I did some research and then asked a friend who moved to Canada 18 months ago... Apparently, there is a part of GE that deals with what they call 'Global Mobility Services'. They employ a set of lawyers who's speciality is Immigration (Fragomen) and do a whole lot of the move themselves. From what my friend told me, they actually give you a purse of money to arrange things yourself (moving, flights, accomodation etc.) or you can go with their choices to do all this. The visa nomination/application process is done by them. So, what HR told me is quite likely to be complete rubbish and I will, this really made me laugh, get another interview and a contract to sign.

Sometimes there are really good benefits to working for a large multi-national organisation. Has anybody else been through this process by any chance or something similar?

I'm also moving through a large corporation (who also use Fragomen for a lot of the back end work). For most things I'm expected to pay the up front costs with my Corp Amex, then submit an expense claim e.g. food, car hire, temporary accomodation (Flights, Shipping, Agents are paid for directly by the relocation company).

I am expected to resign from the UK company and sign a new contract with HR in Australia (my years of service will carry over).

At every step of the journey things have taken a lot longer than expected.

Guest PeteC

Finally... I've had contact from Fragomen and spent a few hours filling out paperwork. I've also been contacted by the company that would do the moving. I'm waiting contact from the accountants that will sort out tax etc but that is not very urgent yet. So, according to what I've read, Fragomen will do the Visa application side and the sponsorship nomination side for GE. With paperwork done and sent off plus scanned copies of passports, marriage certificate and CV etc sent in with the 956 form partially completed, this should hopefully kick the visa application process off. 4-6 weeks plus a months notice maybe we'll be there in August!

Guest 666dame

Hi Pete

Are you aware of the restrictions of a 956 visa (3 month maximum stay), why wouldn’t your employers be prepared to sponsor for a temporary 457, or permanent 121 visa, is this something that is going through simultaneously?

I worked for a global company, but managed permanent employer sponsorship off my own back. To be honest, if I had looked into it further, I’m sure that my previous employer could have arranged something similar. However it felt much more satisfying, organising everything myself, although I am aware this may not be an option for everyone. Now arrived in Adelaide, will wait and see how it all progresses.

Sometimes larger organisations don’t communicate like they should, and processes like this can feel as if you are trying for a new position at another company. Just make sure you have plan B in place, if it doesn’t work out.

Notice you live in my old neck of the woods, are you a born and bred Prestonian or just a passer by!

Dame

Guest PeteC

I'm on a 457 visa. The form that a solicitor uses to start the process is 956. That's. The confusion.

Hi Pete

Are you aware of the restrictions of a 956 visa (3 month maximum stay), why wouldn’t your employers be prepared to sponsor for a temporary 457, or permanent 121 visa, is this something that is going through simultaneously?

Form 956 is the one used to appoint / change a migration agent to act on one's behalf. It is nothing to do with the 956 visa.

OP - a lot of people are under the impression they are getting a reallly good pay rise because they are converting at the current exchange rate, don't fall into this trap, you need to be getting a good 2.2 x more in AUD to be on an equivalent salary.

Guest PeteC
Form 956 is the one used to appoint / change a migration agent to act on one's behalf. It is nothing to do with the 956 visa.

OP - a lot of people are under the impression they are getting a reallly good pay rise because they are converting at the current exchange rate, don't fall into this trap, you need to be getting a good 2.2 x more in AUD to be on an equivalent salary.

Yep, I figured that. If I convert my current salary to Aus Dollars and compare it to my new salary, I'm still up :)

Guest PeteC

Well, time for an update. Visa application was approved today. It took a week from the time it was lodged by the lawyers until I got the email from said lawyers today. That's a very impressive time by DIAC.

Great news and I did the visa dance. About 5 minutes later I got news that one of our friends has been diagnosed with breast cancer... A bit of a whoosh bang effect...

Guest PeteC

I've just logged on to the Immigration Lawyers website out of interest and found that the nomination and visa application were both approved on the 28th. That's 4 working days... That's quick!