17yr Old Completed AS levels in UK

Guest Colbourne

Guest Colbourne

Hi

We are looking to move to Canberra (most likely) my husband has been offered a job in Fyshwick. Our daughter was not previously coming with us but now she thinks she would like to. She is 17yrs old now will be 18 in Nov 2011. She will be completing her AS levels this year so is only half way through her a-levels. Can anyone shed any light on what she can do once in Australia? She would like to continue education possibly going to uni but not sure where she should start having only done half her a-levels. Would she have to do 2 years of college or could she just do a final year? Would a foundation course for degree be possible? I am mega confused and she wants to be able to go to school or not come with us. Any idea of costs as I am assuming even if she attends state school as a migrant she would have to pay or am I wrong?

Thanks muchly

Candice

Any chance she can finish her A levels? That makes life so much easier all round. A levels travel well to Aus universities and you need a comparatively lower grade to get into specific courses which could be a nice advantage.

However in ACT because it is continuous assessment she can get some credit for her AS levels but will then have to pick up more units and could struggle a bit in year 12 to get a good university entrance score. She is also going to be older than her peers as most turning 18 will be leaving at the end of this year

If you are here on a temporary visa then she will be paying around $12k pa as a senior secondary student, unless your husband's occupation is on SOL then she might have the fees waived. However if you are on a temp visa then she will have to pay international student fees at uni regardless.

UC were offering a conversion course at one stage but I dont know if that continued, it was a pilot project. It's a bit of a difficult time as term ends here tomorrow and they will all be off on holiday but if you want to pm me I could give you a good college contact. They wont be back until after easter.

Archived