Serious cold feet

Lakaal

thanks all for your posts, Just to clarify my views on extra family time did not mean to suggest Australians work less or anything. The situation we find ourselves in here us that my husband due to being self employed is putting in

pretty much 10-12 hour days six days a week. He has no other option here in Iteland. Whereas in Oz he hopes to use his University qualifications to change his career slightly to something He loves and something that ultimately He doesn't have the opportunity to do here in Ireland at present or in the forseeable future due to the current economic climate and high unemployment here.

We have friends in Melbourne who have said my husband and his qualifications would have lots of opportunities in Melbourne and I know my husband is hardworking and committed he would succeed anywhere if given the opportunity.

So although very successful here he ultimately feels trapped working every hour in a job ge doesn't live with the future looking rather bleak here for that to ever change. On the other side of the coin I am a wife with two young children who only get to see their daddy on a Sunday for family day :) we just feel there has to be more to life than that for a hardworking family who just want to spend some time together.

thanks all for your posts, Just to clarify my views on extra family time did not mean to suggest Australians work less or anything. The situation we find ourselves in here us that my husband due to being self employed is putting in

pretty much 10-12 hour days six days a week. He has no other option here in Iteland. Whereas in Oz he hopes to use his University qualifications to change his career slightly to something He loves and something that ultimately He doesn't have the opportunity to do here in Ireland at present or in the forseeable future due to the current economic climate and high unemployment here.

We have friends in Melbourne who have said my husband and his qualifications would have lots of opportunities in Melbourne and I know my husband is hardworking and committed he would succeed anywhere if given the opportunity.

So although very successful here he ultimately feels trapped working every hour in a job ge doesn't live with the future looking rather bleak here for that to ever change. On the other side of the coin I am a wife with two young children who only get to see their daddy on a Sunday for family day :) we just feel there has to be more to life than that for a hardworking family who just want to spend some time together.

Is going to Australia really the only way your hubby can cut back on hours? It seems extremel... And again 10 to 12 hours is perfectly normal in Australia too, I usually do this although not six days a week, just five. Six would be a stretch too far for me too.

Guest Opportunities

Lakaal,

Everything is just a little overwhelming... Think about all the reasons why you guys decided to make the move in the first place. Do you still have the same reasons motivating you, or have things changed?

Good luck with your decision!

Karen

x

Guest chris955

It's strange how so many people assume that the UK no longer produces anything, I have bizarrely been criticized for saying this before but the UK is the 6th largest manufacturing nation in the world and it accounts for 15% of GDP. In Australia manufacturing is down to just 8% of GDP and dropping rapidly so soon we will quite literally be producing nothing ourselves.

This is why I hate to see all our eggs in the one resources basket.

Completely agree - personally if we were happy and successful we wouldn't be risking the move (or at least we'd be thinking long and hard about it). But I was just trying to point out that living costs are on the rise everywhere, and it does seem that most Western Manufacturing is in the toilet - does the UK actually produce anything these days?

For years I have never understood why the West don't try and develop new 'greener' technology. Let's gear up out economy for that, for science, for research - if nothing else at least it will move us away from the ever dwindling resouce known as oil.

Anyway I digress slightly - the problem with all these threads is that no-one can answer the question for you. Only you and your family know the exact situation you are in, and what you want out of life. No doubt there would be people who would look at my life and think "what are you talking about, you have a house, a job, a family, of course you're successful", whereas I know what we want out of life, and that isn't achievable here in the UK.

Guest SusieOR
the problem with all these threads is that no-one can answer the question for you. Only you and your family know the exact situation you are in, and what you want out of life. No doubt there would be people who would look at my life and think "what are you talking about, you have a house, a job, a family, of course you're successful", whereas I know what we want out of life, and that isn't achievable here in the UK.

Totally agree... good comment...