Living in Perth, southern suburbs - good or bad?

Guest Allic1978

Guest Allic1978

Hi everyone. We are hopefully heading to perth at the end of July and although I know we will fall in love with an area we stumble across, I have started to look into the suburbs and rental prices.

I know that everyone says you should try for ocean reef, freemantle etc but I just wanted to ask what is really wrong with the more southern suburbs? We want to move to a nice area with our children and we have never been city dwellers but what is really important is that which ever area we rent in long term, it must be an area which we can afford to buy in so we do not have to move the childrens schools again. I have been looking at areas such as Port Kennedy and you really do get a lot of property for your money. My husband will be working away so he does not need to commute into the city.

Please could you let me have your views on this subject, thanks in advance :laugh:

there is nothing wrong with the southern suburbs , nothing wrong with the eastern or northern suburbs either lol its really where you prefer to live at the time,

i agree with you that you should look around areas to rent that you could afford to buy in ,as you say it saves changing schools etc you can also be sure you know the area before you buy and be in a good place if the right house comes on the market

Guest guest17301

Hi Allic,

Lots of people find affordable property in the Northern suburbs too, I dont think theres that much in it tbh but a bigger choice of cheaper burbs down south it seems. The whole of the Perth metro area has much to offer so I wouldnt worry about it too much, north or south its personal choice and where you work that decides it...have a good look around before you commit to anything would be my advice.

Hi there,

From what I can make out regarding north v south is, north is ideal if you are either working in the city or rely on public transport, which holds property prices high (expect to pay at least 500k) south looks a bit cheaper (not much) but either way both look a different world away from the UK.

Good luck cobbler

Also it depends on the subburbs themselves there are cheap and nasty north and south ... you can have just as expensive subburbs that match in price north and south , schools , close to the beach etc all factor in .

I feel its less built up further south , unfortunately it won't last that way !

The thing is there are so many suburbs and it will be hard for people to give opinions on places that they don't live. You'll probably notice on here that people are from similar areas, and some suburbs get the reputation of being 'little England' for some that's a big plus ... they'll have familiarity and a sharedness that will make it easier to have something to talk about, whilst for others it's a turnoff and they don't want to move to Aus to live with lots of Brits.

It's very difficult to answer the question 'where to live' when it's not for us, as I say you'll only get a handful of suburbs mentioned on here but there are so many more. When we moved to Leeming we'd never even heard of the suburb and had been looking at Joondalup in the north or Halls Head in the south. You have to decide what you want and need as a family, keep an open mind - there are so many more places that aren't mentioned on this forum.