Is 120K a decent salary in QLD?

ozziepom

Hi,

After years of contracting, currently in Sydney I'm considering a move to Queensland - I know the place well but not the current salaries up there. Although we have sufficient savings to buy a house outright we'll be renting for at least a year to find an a place to settle and keep an eye on the housing market.

I have a job offer for 120k (plus super) which is quite a bit less than I'm getting (contracting) in Sydney I'm wondering if we'll be financially OK, we'll cover moving costs from savings but after that I don't want to be eating into savings, wife will hopefully find work for $50-70 fairly soon but thats an unknown, I want to ensure we can live on my wage as long as we need to, we're in our 40's and have no children. Going perm is probably the right thing to do at this stage, for a number of reasons. I'm not expecting to be rich, just live fairly comfortably.

Reasons for leaving Sydney are just that its too crowded and expensive housing, we could buy here too but I'm not seeing value, and at our stage of work life I don't want to take on the big mortgage to buy what we'd want, this seems much more achievable in SE QLD.

Archived