Accountant or physio

inception

I currently have only one semester to go before I complete my accounting degree. However, in order to get a proper accounting job I would still need to pursue the CA/CPA designation. That is another 3 more years of study. Without the CA/CPA designation, the salary would be quite low... not that it increases that much after you have done your CA/CPA either. So, I am wondering if it is worth pursuing an accounting career. My other option is to enrol in a degree in physiotherapy. The reason why I am comtemplating doing this is because my current GPA is very high and I am eligible to apply for physiotherapy which is a very competitive course. I wouldn't get the chance to do physiotherapy again. So, is it worth doing physiotherapy or is the job market saturated for physios? The reason why I would like to do physiotherapy is because I am very interested in learning physiology and studying other health related courses. Other pluses of physiotherapy for me include the flexibility of hours it provides and also from what I have researched physiotherapists earn more than accountants. Correct me if I am wrong. In short, is it really worth doing physiotherapy in Australia and considering it as a future career path?

• 1 month later...
Guest MontyClaude

Hi inception, I can't really answer which pays more but if you have a gut feeling that you prefer one over the other then go with that. Personally I'm an accountant and couldn't imagine doing anything else, I have friends who are accountants and absolutely hate it with a passion but can't see themselves changing careers now and starting from scratch. Maybe try to do some work experience for a couple of months in both and see which suits you. By the way, I find there is quite a fair bit of flexibility in accounting too, depends which route (compliance no major deadlines etc, general ledger then you will never get more than 2 weeks of any month off!) Best of luck with your decision.

Guest Daisha Moore
I currently have only one semester to go before I complete my accounting degree. However, in order to get a proper accounting job I would still need to pursue the CA/CPA designation. That is another 3 more years of study. Without the CA/CPA designation, the salary would be quite low... not that it increases that much after you have done your CA/CPA either. So, I am wondering if it is worth pursuing an accounting career. My other option is to enrol in a degree in physiotherapy. The reason why I am comtemplating doing this is because my current GPA is very high and I am eligible to apply for physiotherapy which is a very competitive course. I wouldn't get the chance to do physiotherapy again. So, is it worth doing physiotherapy or is the job market saturated for physios? The reason why I would like to do physiotherapy is because I am very interested in learning physiology and studying other health related courses. Other pluses of physiotherapy for me include the flexibility of hours it provides and also from what I have researched physiotherapists earn more than accountants. Correct me if I am wrong. In short, is it really worth doing physiotherapy in Australia and considering it as a future career path?

Hey Inception,

I have seen many of my friends enjoying their accountant job in private firms. For government employees it becomes quite boring sometimes but in private firms it's quite dynamic. Once you are through with CA lots of companies will pile on you with very good salary. Then you can enter into Audit section; can become financial adviser or budget analyst in any company. It'll definitely open up a great career for you. But yes, job satisfaction is also very important. If accounting does not fascinate you then this is the high time to switch to other segment, rather than repenting for entire life. Demand for physiotherapy is also increasing nowadays. But as far as work load and salary is concerned both go simultaneously. Just give a second thought and take your decision.

Well they are really chalk and cheese those two courses. If you want to get rich I would go with the accounting but if you like the medical sort of stuff then more physio. I think you would have to be really committed to be a good physio - it is not something you could be half-hearted about because it is peoples' wellbeing you are dealing with. Similar to being a GP in a way.