Jump to content

Tax return for recent migrant

Recommended Posts

I received permanent residency recently. Currently, I am studying at a tertiary instituition. I do not work. I receive $5000 per month for my living allowances here in Australia from my parents who live overseas . I am under the impression that i do not have to pay tax on this money as it is just a gift from my parents and not money I receive from any income-earning activity. However, am I required to lodge tax returns to ATO eventhough I am not working? Is every Australian citizen/permanent resident legally obliged to lodge tax returns or is it just for people who are employed? I do not want to fall into trouble by inadvertently doing something illegal. Afterall, ignorance is not a defence when it comes to law.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now