Citizenship - 4 year residence requirement

inception

In the first year I was out of Australia for one month. In the second year, I was out of Australia for 2 months. In the third year, I was out of Australia for 2 months again... and in the 4th year I was out of Australia for 2 months AGAIN. Will I be eligible for Australian citizenship or do I have to make up for the time I have been outside of Australia? So, basically I have been out of Australia for 7 months in the last 4 years. Does that mean I have to spend another 7 months in Australia before I can apply for citizenship?.. i.e the total time spent living in Australia needs to be 4 years and 7 months before I am eligible for citizenship?...

take a look at the citizenship wizard,

Australian Citizenship Wizard

That should answer all your questions

I did have a look at it and entered all my details into the citizenship calculator as well but I am still not a 100% sure about it. According to the wizard I am eligible but I just have an uneasy feeling about it because of the time I spent outside Australia. I don't want to really go to an agent and spend 160 dollars for something as small as this.

I did have a look at it and entered all my details into the citizenship calculator as well but I am still not a 100% sure about it. According to the wizard I am eligible but I just have an uneasy feeling about it because of the time I spent outside Australia. I don't want to really go to an agent and spend 160 dollars for something as small as this.

If you put all your dates in the wizard, it will tell you whether you are eligible now and if you are not, it will tell you when you will be eligible. It works, trust it.

Based on what you've told us, you are eligible to apply for citizenship. The residence requirement reads:

You must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

• You've met the requirement of having lived in Australia for 4 years - you're still living here even if you go overseas for a month or two

• You've met the requirement of not being outside the country for more than 1 year in total in the 4 year period

• You've met the requirement of not being outside the country for more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

You're eligible to apply.

I don’t understand what the problem is.

Let’s say you have submitted application and it is refused based on the fact that you haven’t satisfied the 4 year requirement. All you have lost is an application fee. In that case, all you have to do is reapply once the Citizenship criteria is met .

Regards,

MOTO

Guest Guest31881
I don't want to really go to an agent and spend 160 dollars for something as small as this.

You do not need an agent, its just a phone call to get it all underway, not complicated at all.

I have heard that as soon as you become a PR, you are eligible for a Citizenship. If you read the egilibity terms on the website it says you are eligible after you recieve your PR. Hope this helps

James

Guest Guest31881
I have heard that as soon as you become a PR, you are eligible for a Citizenship. If you read the egilibity terms on the website it says you are eligible after you recieve your PR. Hope this helps

James

No, that is not right, follow the citizenship wizard, Its 4 years of which one ( I think its one) has to be PR.

I have been here 2 years on PR and not eligible until I reach 4 years.

Errr.....no. :wink:

Migrant with permanent residence

If you migrated to Australia, have permanent residence, satisfy the residential requirements and are of good character you may be eligible for citizenship.

All applicants, including children under 16 years of age must be permanent residents at the time of application and also at the time we make a decision on your application.

Australian Citizenship – Migrant with permanent residence

Guest Guest31881
Migrant with permanent residence

If you migrated to Australia, have permanent residence, satisfy the residential requirements and are of good character you may be eligible for citizenship.

All applicants, including children under 16 years of age must be permanent residents at the time of application and also at the time we make a decision on your application.

Australian Citizenship – Migrant with permanent residence

Satisfy the residential requirements. That is 4 years in the country, follow the link you provided to the end and look for the eligibility sections

James

Really..NO!

My OH came into the country on PR. He has to wait 4 years for citizenship.

As stated above, follow the link, check the wording; "satisfy the residential requirements" and "MAY be eligible for citizenship"

Archived