You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest MichT

what if by the validity of my visa i.e. Sep 2015, I cant complete the 4 years.....

Guest MichT

I have been granted the 175 independent in Sep 2010, I plan to move to Oz, but am finding it difficult to move before Sep 2011...

The reason for thinking of moving in before/in Sep 2011, is the 4 years of stay requirement for citizenship....

My question is what if by the validity of my visa i.e. Sep 2015, I cant complete the 4 years required for citizenship........

Guest guest30038

If I understand what you are asking correctly, it doesn't matter. The 4 yrs counts from when you land in Oz and doesn't have to be completed within your visa expiry date. Some folk live here for many years before applying for citizenship.

kev

Guest MichT
If I understand what you are asking correctly, it doesn't matter. The 4 yrs counts from when you land in Oz and doesn't have to be completed within your visa expiry date. Some folk live here for many years before applying for citizenship.

kev

Thanks for your reply, so that means, after Sep 2015, my visa will get renewed?

I have been granted the 175 independent in Sep 2010, I plan to move to Oz, but am finding it difficult to move before Sep 2011...

The reason for thinking of moving in before/in Sep 2011, is the 4 years of stay requirement for citizenship....

My question is what if by the validity of my visa i.e. Sep 2015, I cant complete the 4 years required for citizenship........

Hi,

I haven't got a PR visa yet but hoping to and my understanding from what i've read is that once you're granted one and you've validated it, it's valid for 5 years and after the 5 years if you want to leave Oz for a holiday or something you will need to apply for a resident return visa. see Resident Return - Online Applications and you should be granted one if you have spent 2 years of the last 5 in oz and you get another 5 year visa. think that's how it works!

Maybe someone who has done this can confirm or clarify it please?

IELTS 4/12/10 Postponed due to snow! | IELTS 15/1/11 over all 8.5 | ACS (26131) app sent 13/3/11, positive result 30/6/11|

Guest guest30038
Thanks for your reply, so that means, after Sep 2015, my visa will get renewed?

Not "renewed" as once granted and validated it stands permanently unless you leave Oz shores for longer than 3 yrs in the last 5, in which case you apply for a resident return visa. You must also have resided her for 1 yr in the last two.

The simplification is that if you reside here permanently, you need to do nothing at all other than apply for citizenship after 4 yrs or whenever it suits you after longer than 4 yrs.

kev

Your visa allows you to enter Australia prior to 2015 to live permanently.

However, it is only valid as a multiple entry visa (i.e. you can come and go as you please) until 2015.

After this date, if you need to leave the country, and want to get back in again, and don't have citizenship yet, you need to apply for a residents return visa. To get one of these you have to show ties to Australia (I think living there for 2 out of the 5yrs of your PR visa is enough). An RRV is valid for multiple entry for a further 5yrs.

Once the RRV has expired, if you need to leave the country and want to get back in again, and don't have citizenship yet, then you need to apply for another RRV.

Guest guest30038

After this date, if you need to leave the country, and want to get back in again, and don't have citizenship yet, you need to apply for a residents return visa. To get one of these you have to show ties to Australia (I think living there for 2 out of the 5yrs of your PR visa is enough)..

That's correct, but one of those two years must have been in the last 2 yrs.