Furnished renting in melbourne

Guest Revs30

Guest Revs30

Hey all,

Just booked flights for the 8th June but don't move out of our house in UK until 20th May.

Therefore will need furnished acommodation for at least 2 months as the shipping company say 8-12 weeks! Arghhhhhh

Been looking on google but not a lot of luck really.

Anyone know where to look? sites etc?

We are a family of 4 (2 toddlers) and will pref need a 3 bed place, not bothered roughly where, just need to be able to afford it and tram/train into CBD.

HELP PLEEEEEEEEASE!:arghh:

Is this website that's been mentioned a sincere assessment of Furnished Rental prices in Melbourne or are they just taking advantage of lazy poms and or taking some sort of huge cut of the rental? http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/

The only reason I ask is for example there's a 1 bed in Point Cook that's not exactly central Melbourne to say the least, in fact its quite a way out for $550 per week and one in Monbulk for $450pw that's even further away. Yet in Sloane Square (Chelsea) or South Kensington you can get a 1 bed furnished flat for between $700-850AUD. Does anyone else see why I'm somewhat bewildered that one of the most expensive areas to rent a property in the whole of the UK is only marginally more expensive than places that are miles outside Melbourne!? We all know that Aus is booming, but come on! This is ludicrous, something isn't right here.... (and that's even presuming bills are included in the Aus prices, which the London figures above don't include):policeman:

Guest Revs30

I know aus Melbourne I booming but blimey. I only have $5k left of relocation package to spend when we all get there. All I want is a furnished 3 bed property near Reservoir until shipment comes over. We arrive on 10th June but shipping people only come on 19th May and will take 8-12 weeks so need to have a place for about 2 months really. But looking at furnished 3 bed places they are so dear (my opinion). A 3 bed unfurnished is only $350-400 a week in reservoir but looks like we are going to have to pay over $1k a week for the privilege of a couple of couches, tv and a fully equipped kitchen. That's $650 a week extra +.

Is it possible to secure an unfurnished place from the UK before we get over there as I would rather go and buy everything we need with savings of not going furnished???

Help please, arghhhhhh

Guest Guest31881

Furnished accommodation anywhere and you are looking at well above $500 a week, That will normally include Water and Electricity costs. Unfurnished you obviously get a bit cheaper but you have to pay your own utility bills. Some members try to get long stay discounts in holiday accommodation while they look for suitable rentals. i do not know how the Melbourne rental prices compare but I know in Brisbane that you will not get a furnished rental (normally) for $500 you would be looking at a lot more.

Guest Guest31881

Is it possible to secure an unfurnished place from the UK before we get over there as I would rather go and buy everything we need with savings of not going furnished???

Help please, arghhhhhh

You cannot normally secure unfurnished rentals prior to arrival, agents like you to have looked at the property, and to be honest you do not want to sign for a rental until you have seen it, what could look like a bargain outside may be a right dump inside, and you need to look at the area to see if it has everything you need and is a nice area to settle.

Guest The Pom Queen
Is this website that's been mentioned a sincere assessment of Furnished Rental prices in Melbourne or are they just taking advantage of lazy poms and or taking some sort of huge cut of the rental? http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/

The only reason I ask is for example there's a 1 bed in Point Cook that's not exactly central Melbourne to say the least, in fact its quite a way out for $550 per week and one in Monbulk for $450pw that's even further away. Yet in Sloane Square (Chelsea) or South Kensington you can get a 1 bed furnished flat for between $700-850AUD. Does anyone else see why I'm somewhat bewildered that one of the most expensive areas to rent a property in the whole of the UK is only marginally more expensive than places that are miles outside Melbourne!? We all know that Aus is booming, but come on! This is ludicrous, something isn't right here.... (and that's even presuming bills are included in the Aus prices, which the London figures above don't include):policeman:

I find your comment rather insulting. Firstly I do not price the property, all I do is advertise the property for a rental owner, secondly, I do not take a huge cut out of this and as most of the PIO members who have booked accommodation from our site will tell you I don't get involved in the money side at all:wub:

To answer your questions, YES Melbourne is expensive to find a furnished rental.

Unlike some other states your real-estate agents will NOT rent you a property until you have inspected it and to be honest after seeing some of the rentals around, you wouldn’t want to stay in them without checking them out first. Also 99% of rentals in Melbourne are on 12 month leases and unfurnished, you are responsible for water, internet, gas electric.

Also it may be worth while looking at Stayz rentals on there start from around $70 - $2857 and yes that is PER NIGHT

http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/vic/melbourne?dateFrom=&numNights=1&view=list&sortBy=4

What you seem to be forgetting is that

1) You cant get an unfurnished rental until you arrive (so where are you going to stay?)

2) Furnished rentals includes just that all the furniture, pots, pans, plates, bedding, towels etc

3) Includes all utilitites, ie Gas, Electric, Water, council rates, internet, phone, Pay TV

4) Contents Insurance

5) Extras, ie free use of car, airport pick up etc.

6) A lot also provide a shopping parcel for your arrival so you don't have to venture out in that first 48 hours.

7) Also the exchange rate is rubbish now, compared to say the 2.5 some people got when they booked their rentals

Now ok, let's look at going at it from a different angle, we will work on the 5 bed house in Mornington at $650 per week fully furnished everything included.

Let's go and look at an unfurnsihed rental and see how much that would cost us per week:

Firstly I can't find a 5 bed property currently on the rental market so let's go for the 4 bed here http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mornington-405130949

The price is $450 per week (now obviously if it was a 5 bed it would bring in around $550 per week but never mind let's pretend it is 5 bed at $450 per week)

Rent: $450 per week

Renting of Furniture: Ok I have based it on standard furniture which would be in the 5 bed house so nothing posh and to be honest there is probably a lot more furniture in there. Anyway the price comes back at $1101 plus $350 delivery/pick up, now this is for a short term of 1-2 months you get a little bit of a discount if you rent for 6 months or longer. (I have attached their spread sheet here so you can see the costs for yourself)

So, so far we have a total of $1550 per week and that's without all the utilities. Now we are a family of 5 and our bills are usually as follows:

Electric $900 per quarter so let's say $75 a week (obviously it may be cheaper for other families)

Gas we pay around $500 per quarter so let's say $40 per week

Sky TV some of these have the full package but let's go at a cheaper package and say $17.50 per week.

Internet and Phone we will say $30 per week (although could be a lot more if people are ringing the UK)

Then we have contents insurance, sorry but I have no idea on this so let's say a silly low figure of $200 per year so $3.50 per week

Water, again everyone is different but let's just say $5 per week.

So let's look at the final figures.

A 5 bed furnished rental on our site at $650 per week

OR

A 4 bed unfurnished rental - $1722 (renting your own furniture and paying your own utilities) Please also bear in mind that I didn't add on all the extras like free car hire (worth around $500 per week) or airport pickup ($250 for a family to Mornington) or the shopping (around $150)

Umm so who is ripping who off again, I don't think it's the property owners:mad:

Now personally, I wouldn't pay that much to rent furniture, but if people are shipping their belongings they won't want to go out and buy.

Also another thing to realise from the above figures is that even when your furniture arrives you will still be tied in to a 12 month contract in the unfurnished where as the furnished you can stay as long as you want.

Here is part of an article I wrote for one of the magazines it was in 2009 so prices will have gone up since then but it will give you some idea.

Short Term Accommodation Options Available

When choosing short term furnished accommodation most people have no idea of how much they should be paying per week. They see a price of $1000 a week and nearly fall off their chair. A lot of people look at the price of a 12 month contracted long term rental of say $400 per week and compare the two prices.

REMEMBER, the short term rental is just that SHORT TERM you are not tied in to any contracts and you can rent the property from as little as 1 day – 365 days. Also with a short term rental there are NO other costs involved, the owner pays all the utilities.

To stay in a Travelodge in the UK (that is 1 room for a family of 4) would cost you $100 plus per night.

Below we have done a quick guide to short term rental options in Melbourne and the costs involved. As some places go up and down in price according to season, we have based them all on one weeks accommodation starting from 1st April 2009, based on a family of 4 (2A 2C)

Campsites

Most people would expect this to be their cheapest option; unfortunately this is not always true. There are a number of campsites located around Melbourne that offer cabins. Now Cabins are not 5 star accommodation, in fact some of them are no more than a shed on legs with no room to move especially when you have lots of luggage with you. If you are desperate and you need somewhere for a week then you may not have an option, but to be honest you could find a lovely furnished house to rent a lot cheaper than the campsite. http://www.big4.com.au

Big 4 – Dandenong – $924

Big 4 – Frankston - $1003

Big 4 – Melbourne $1085

Hotels

I have quoted for a variety of hotels from 3 star to 5 star.

Holiday Inn – Flinders Street - $3080 (max 3 in a room so 2 rooms required at $1540) extra per day of $27.50 for valet parking.

Marriot Hotel - $1884 - $30 per day for car park.

Travelodge - $1043

Comfort Inn - $1050

Relocation Agents

There are a variety of properties offered by expats who have made the move themselves, they often come with free services.

Monbulk - $400 per week

Seaford – 4 bed – Free Car Hire for duration of stay $805

Carrum Downs – 2 bd – Free Airport Pick Up, Meet and Greet, Suburb Tours and Food Package $850

Mornington – 5 bed - $650 per week

Berwick – 2 bed - $880 – Swimming pool and gym on complex

As you can see all the above are cheaper than staying on the campsites

Apartments

Quest Apartments – Frankston - $1440

Quest Apartments – St Kilda - $1715

Dockland Apartment - $1595

Seacove – Mornington - $1500

Hostels

Melbourne Metro – Family 4 bed room - $940

Base Hostel – St Kilda – 8 bed dorm (sharing) $812

Cooee – St Kilda – 4 bed dorm $877.80

Unfortunately, a lot of people presume that the hostels and campsites are going to be a cheaper option, as you can see from the above; it is not always the case. Just to rent a pitch for a tent can cost you $350 per week.

Don't worry I will wait for your apology to all the property owners who are on this forum. Oh and all the members who have gone in to furnished accommodation who you seem to be calling lazy:no:

Guest The Pom Queen
I know aus Melbourne I booming but blimey. I only have $5k left of relocation package to spend when we all get there. All I want is a furnished 3 bed property near Reservoir until shipment comes over. We arrive on 10th June but shipping people only come on 19th May and will take 8-12 weeks so need to have a place for about 2 months really. But looking at furnished 3 bed places they are so dear (my opinion). A 3 bed unfurnished is only $350-400 a week in reservoir but looks like we are going to have to pay over $1k a week for the privilege of a couple of couches, tv and a fully equipped kitchen. That's $650 a week extra +.

Help please, arghhhhhh

Your cheapest option would be to get a package from a place like Fantastic Furniture for around $2k and then just rent the white goods, or look at getting them 2nd hand. However, you still have the problem of getting a rental before you arrive and unfortunately as the rental vacancy rate is around 1% in Melbourne the fight for rentals is rife and agents just won't entertain you until you are here and have viewed the property. Remember though that you need to add on utilities etc and some of the companies ask for a minimum of a 2 year contract:no:

Guest juliemtaylor

well said Kate.

I used movingtomelbourne and stayed in that rental in Mornington. It was the best start we could have had and the owners did everything they could to help us and even a long term rental reference! We've been out with them recently too!

Good luck finding something cheaper!

Julie x

Obviuously you have never been to Australia or had experience with rentals over here.

I agree wholehartedly with Kate's post.

Many of us rental owners offer the service because of first hand experience in trying to find an affordable rental on arrival. Yes, they are all being run as (hopefully) profit making business enterprises, but far cheaper than others being offered elsewhere.

As an example, we paid $700 p.w 4 years ago for a B&B in Kallista because it was the cheapest we could find at the time in this vicinity.

Here in the Dandenong ranges, the average B&B charges well over $250 per NIGHT.

I think at less than $65.00 a night for our place which sleeps 4 & includes pretty much everything a new arrival required isnt a get rich quick scheme. :mad:

Responding to "movingtomelbourne"

Intention wasn’t to insult so sorry about that, but then I’m almost tempted to withdraw that apology by your rather childish final paragraph, as not quite sure where I’ve insulted the Property owners on this forum in anything I’ve said? Nor was I saying anyone that went in to furnished accommodation was lazy, I was asking if this easy means of acquiring furnished property at what seems premium prices was to avoid hunting out and spending the time finding more fairer priced furnished rentals (if those indeed exist which they may not). To put it as bluntly as I did in my posting and less eloquently as I just did here; “lazy poms”. So you’ve just twisted my words just because my natural cynicism for relocation agents and real estate agents in general has lead me to check if your website is a “sincere assessment” and you’ve been offended by this. The forum is about opinions, and like it or not, but your peers in your industry around the world have left a bad precedent by their industry practices, so you’re going to get people like myself enquiring as to the validity of what we are being told. You are like it or not, scarred by the previous practices of your industry, and in a lot of cases the continued bad practices in the industry around the world.

I’m sure everyone on the forum will find your posting (aside from first and last paragraphs) very helpful and I’d like to think that it wouldn’t have been as informative as it was without you’re being lead to make an impassioned defence of your website further to my posting. That said your posting has become informative in one sense without really addressing what I was saying, as you’ve spent a lot of time addressing comparables between unfurnished and furnished accommodation in Australia, but the point raised was the shocking comparability between furnished rentals in the prime spot of the borough of Kensington and Chelsea in London vs some of the satellite areas surrounding Melbourne. I think what should be made more clear (and which your article allayed to in some detail) is that these rentals that your website is detailing are what in the London rentals market is referred to as “Short Lets”. Which because of their short turnaround, and the well kitted out nature of the properties means they come at a premium to normal “Long Lets”. Point I was trying to make (and having just looked at short Let prices in SW3 London I can still stand by) is that these prices seem awfully high compared to prime London rental zones and I don’t think that even a blossoming Australian currency and economy justifies these figures. If you want to take that as an insult to property owners around Australia, then feel free, but that’s obviously not the point I’m making.

I read with interest what the justification for these prices was in respect to the extra facilities or uses that came with them, but other than points 5 and 6 there’s nothing there that doesn’t come with a short let furnished rental in SW3 London. As contents insurance incidentally is hardly an extra, as you’d hardly be expected to pay for the insurance on furnishings and contents that didn’t actually belong to you, this would always be the Landlord’s responsibility.

Anyway it seems to me that someone is missing a trick not doing long term furnished rentals with 6 month break clauses where necessary or relevant, as with more sensible pricing someone could make a killing undercutting these ludicrously high short term rental prices, and from what I can see there would be more than enough demand for Longer term rentals at more sensible prices. I even see there appears to be an Ikea opening up in Melbourne, so furnishing a property need not be a financial burden for buy to let Landlords.

Guest The Pom Queen
Responding to "movingtomelbourne"

Point I was trying to make (and having just looked at short Let prices in SW3 London I can still stand by) is that these prices seem awfully high compared to prime London rental zones and I don’t think that even a blossoming Australian currency and economy justifies these figures.

And please tell me what relevance London property has to Melbourne property? For people moving to Melbourne what does it matter if they can find a cheaper place to stay in London:nah:

Guest The Pom Queen
Wish I hadn't started this thread now lol

Please don't worry at all:hug: I don't take it personal as like I say at the end of the day I only advertise the property on the website, so I am no different to somewhere like Stayz or gumtree, apart from I have a close friendship with all the owners I deal with and know that they are genuine and trustworthy and that anyone who stays there will be happy.

I can understand peoples frustrations it's like Paul (Furkew) said, a lot of us have been in this situation and had to pay ludicrous amounts of money, I can't remember exactly as it was a few years back now, but, I am sure we paid around $1500 per week for 5 weeks:shocked: and that was in 2004. However, we thought it was the best thing we ever did. It gave us chance to have a good look around and the suburbs we thought we would settle in we didn't even consider once we were here.

Once you take a look at the break down you will see that it is indeed cheaper to stay in furnished accommodation for a few weeks rather than straight in to an unfurnished rental.

Good luck with your search, I do have a couple of long term rentals coming up but they are in Altona so a little too far out for you.:notworthy::hug::wubclub:

And please tell me what relevance London property has to Melbourne property? For people moving to Melbourne what does it matter if they can find a cheaper place to stay in London:nah:

What relevance?! That was the whole basis behind my posting, that’s what the relevance is. Obviously if someone is well aware what furnished rental prices are in one of the prime real estate parts of the world, and then is shocked to learn that the satellite/suburb parts of Melbourne, never mind central Melbourne itself are close to if not on a par with those prices, then they logically question the figures that are put in front of them don’t they? I’m hardly just going to go and say, oh this seems a bit steep without having any point of reference.

good luck with your move !

maybe a few manners and etiquette and grammer may be in order !!!

you were given help here ! (which you have been very rude !!!!) (especially with your waffling !!) (good luck with your google search for your home ! ) and since when is relevance !!!! Spelt this way !!!!

and when you undermine people !!

if you can find a home under $650 per week furnished or $400 per week unfurnished in melbourne !!!!! good luck !!!! and stop being a stingey up your nose snob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as you will not last long with the ozzies xxxx or will not be living the life as you do now !!!! with your grammer !!! and rudeness !!!

Guest Revs30

you were given help here ! (which you have been very rude !!!!) (especially with your waffling !!) (good luck with your google search for your home ! ) and since when is relevance !!!! Spelt this way !!!!

if you can find a home under $650 per week furnished or $400 per week unfurnished in melbourne !!!!! good luck !!!! and stop being a stingey up your nose snob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as you will not last long with the ozzies xxxx or will not be living the life as you do now !!!! with your grammer !!! and rudeness !!!

Huh? What did I say? I was the one asking for the original advice. Wasn't rude at all!

I think this was aimed at me "Revs30", but I think the poster got lost on their way to posting on the Sun newspaper website, and correct me if I'm wrong, but were you drunk when you wrote this "paul1evs"? Anyway this has to be a hoax post, as surely you haven't posted to tell me I've spelt relevance wrong? Um how long has it been spelt like that? I don't know, since the Oxford English Dictionary first published the word? And its grammar not grammer. Dear oh dear. And knew it wouldn't be long before some expat came on and said, "you won't last long with the Aussies" etc, get on fine with plenty of my Aus and Kiwi mates that I've made over the years thanks.

Was that post for real "paul1evs"? Well it made me laugh anyway, whether that be intentional or not. :biglaugh:

SOL,,,

The first mistake you are making is comparing things to London,, Australia isnt the UK ,dialect, prices, food and weather are all very different here.

If you continue to compare things to London then i wouldnt hold out much hope for a succesful relocation TBH.

Cal x

Guest Revs30

Group hug ? Lol

Anyway, I have been having talks with the agents out there and they say that renting can happen very quickly and if a place is vacant then could even be as quick as one or two days. Now looking at 14 nights in a hotel or something as will cost around $2k for the fortnight.

Honestly (and i have NO business in Melbourne so it doesnt affect me) i have never known anyone secure a rental in less than a week. Just be careful,,, you first have to visit agents/ read newspapers to find a house,, then you need to ring and arrange a viewing (normally held at weekends which is a pain if you ring on Monday or Tuesday), presuming the house is ok and suits your needs, then you need to submit an application with relevant paperwork and cross your fingers for a few days to see if the agent calls you back to say your succesful after they have discussed the applications with the property owner.

You MUST bear in mind it is normal to have another few familys viewing the property with you and as you are new migrants with no Oz rental history you are looked upon as ''the bottom of the pile''.

If you can book somewhere for a couple of weeks with the option of extending should the need arise i think you will be in a less stressful position than having to find,apply and secure somewhere long term within a week or 2.

I hope this helps

Cal x

Guest Revs30

Totally agree, if we have to stay in hotel accommodation for a month then I'm looking at $4k. don't want to spend anymore than that!

If anybody has any ideas then let me know as trying to find hotels for that price for a family of 4 (2 toddlers) isnt that easy it looks like

Sorry totally different subject but how hard is it to get a rental in australia with a dog or two? our dogs are pretty old so we're not sure if theyl both be here when we decide to come over but just wanted to find out. We find it quite hard to find places over here because theyre staffies and theres a lot of people in our part of scotland that dont like them because of several news articles, theyre very well behaved :biggrin:

Archived