Wildlife in Perth - Dangerous?

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

Erm, just to make it absolutely clear, my above post was meant to be firmly tongue-in-cheek....

:wink:

Well, except the part about the arachnid plot to take over the world....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking into getting Hypnotherapy before I move to Australia. For my fear of Spiders. I have no fear of other insects and will happily remove them from the house. Which astounds my OH.

I'm not even scared of snakes, having said that I wouldn't pick one up but they don't reduced me to tears, sweating, shaking and hyperventilating like spiders do. I'm not so bad with the small ones but when I see one which is 4ft between the eyes and wearing Doc Martins I tend to lose it!

On my trips to Australia I always seem to have run-ins with Huntsman's (It's the shear size of the thing that gets me most) I have seen one drop on someone at a party! She was cool and flicked it off as if it were a fly, Going to the loo in the middle of the night and trying bleary eyed to make out the shape on the wall opposite me...Huntsman, Laying in bed at night and looking up at the rafters to see a huntsman looking back at me. Then there are the one that are merrily sitting on a wall that unlike the others don't seem like they are out to get me!

I agree with another poster, the spiders in Sussex seem to be on steroids at the moment!

I'm hoping that the Hypnotherapy will work and I will be able to be calmer when I see a Huntsman. At £70.00 a session (x4) it bloomin better!

Guest RichB

So, hopefully I'll be making the move to Perth at some point - how dangerous is the wildlife?

What a Moronic question..Australia is full of fantastic, beautiful wildlife and none of it is dangerous as long as you keep away from it.. Dont bother them and they wont bother you..

Just come here and enjoy the wildlife and dont be such a pansy..

As you pass through customs and flash your visa, they'll smile and ask you where you're from. When you tell them the UK, they frown, reach under the desk to produce a sign that says

HARDEN UP PRINCESS

It was the best advice we received on landing.

From their name and their size, do the Huntsman come with their own horses, packs of dogs, and horn blower?

Bad news Neil - it's that time of year again. The steroid munching Sussex spiders are on the march again. I found a massive black one in the hall last night - about 3 inches worth. I did the brave thing and scooped it into an icecream container, and took it outside. When I took the lid off, blow me, but the damn thing had gone. I had a good look, but I couldn't fathom how it had escaped.

It took about two seconds for the penny to drop. It had crawled onto the lid! Just then the timer on the outside light clicked off - and I was plunged into darkness.I'm not embarrissed to admit I screamed like a girl.

Guest NeilEB

What a Moronic question..Australia is full of fantastic, beautiful wildlife and none of it is dangerous as long as you keep away from it.. Dont bother them and they wont bother you..

Just come here and enjoy the wildlife and dont be such a pansy..

Why is it a moronic question? I'm coming from a country where we don't HAVE any dangerous wildlife (unless you include chavs), so why can't I ask? I don't need to worry if my son wants to play in the garden on his own here, and I was asking what precautions we have to take.

Unless your post was meant as a joke (and the lack of smileys makes me wonder), then there was no need for your post, and I do not appreciate being called a moron.

Guest NeilEB
I did the brave thing and scooped it into an icecream container, and took it outside.

That's why any sizeable spider I see get's the Dyson treatment

Why is it a moronic question? I'm coming from a country where we don't HAVE any dangerous wildlife (unless you include chavs), so why can't I ask? I don't need to worry if my son wants to play in the garden on his own here, and I was asking what precautions we have to take.

Unless your post was meant as a joke (and the lack of smileys makes me wonder), then there was no need for your post, and I do not appreciate being called a moron.

Seriously Neil - you'll probably never see a snake unless you live near open bushland. You can spray if you like - and then you'll never see any spiders or other wildlife. I'm not a big fan of chemicals - but while your kids are little - it's not a bad precaution. We did as our kids were 1 and 2 - and they put their fingers down drains even when we told them not to. But when they are older it's not such a problem.

I have not seen any snakes, but I know they are around....just like in the UK!

Red backs, hide in dark places, inside and out but dont chase, would rather be left alone to mind their own business, bug spray or a blow torch (my dads preferred method!) will sort them out!

Have been stung by a jelly fish, not nice but I got in its way not the other way round!

Sharks....its the sea and attacks are rare.

Dont let it put you off, amazing country, amazing people....

Guest NeilEB

Thanks all - to be honest this thread can probably be closed now, think it's been done to death - no pun intended!

Dont worry neil im the exact same! im getting a bit better, can look at a pic of a huntsman without screaming now lol. I really dont like spiders but its more the size of them so even if i know a huntsman cant hurt me im more scared of it cos its HUGE! Tbh im more worried about something biting my dogs rather than me but not sure if my dogs will be coming by the time we move over, theyre oldies!

• 6 years later...

This is probably out of date but to anybody else reading this and wondering about life in Perth:

Yes, we've got some dangerous creatures - heck, a grey kangaroo on our property nearly shredded a girl to pieces in the year that this post was made (my Mum saved her life). We live on property and (side-stepping the fact that I HAVE seen about six or so snakes, including a few big ones and all of them deadly) I have only seen two scorpions (one was at school quite a ways away) and two centipedes (I'm scared to death of them) and we've had a few bees cause us problems because the scouts go looking for new hives (I hope that they liked my $2000 coffee machine that I had outside when I was house-sitting next door) and one big orange wasp that was actually not a problem except that he always hassled me when I was in the pool (was he thirsty?). Huntsmen Spiders are always hanging around. Oh, and the millipedes are kind of...just there...they're not dangerous at all...you just get used to them... >__>

But, in terms of normal-living, you're not likely to see any Blue-Ringed Octopuses or Saltwater Crocodiles or Great White Sharks or Tiger Snakes or...anything! You've got to be aware of the wildlife, for sure - a Dugite (deadly Brown Snake) can show up in a suburban house...but, only very VERY rarely. You'll see a few small spiders here and there, the occasional Red-Back which you must watch out for. People always think of Australia as being home to animals that are Satan's children...but, I wonder about things from OTHER countries...

Wanna know what the REAL dangers are? Black Swans, especially during Spring (September/October/November)...magpies, during those same months (they named a wine after swooping magpies, I kid you not)...

My sister's living in Canada right now, apparently it's just like Canadian Geese, or...?

Also, kangaroos are fine as long as you don't approach them especially if there's a baby or a big male one...we just walk calmly past them and they just watch us, some of them even listen to the heavy metal music that I like to play from my phone...

Oh, and, to that person that said that they saw a Huntsman Spider drop onto somebody at a party...

A few years back, my parents and I were sitting out on the patio of our property, and I was sitting on a stool...I got up and walked across the patio and then turned around...and, a huge big Huntsman dropped right onto that very same stool.

I was mortified...

Great White Shark
Great White Sharks, the ocean's most feared predator, are found on all coasts of Australia and throughout the World. They range between 3.5 to 5 metres long, and weigh on average 1,300kg. The Great White is grey in colour from the top, and white underneath.
The Bull Shark inhabits fresh water and is considered to be a very dangerous shark because of its aggressive nature and liking for shallow habitats. Australia has more than 160 species of shark which make up nearly half of the worlds species which the majority of these pose no threat to humans.

http://www.list-directory.info/lists/deadliestanimals.html

The Swan river in Perth is full of bull sharks!
See photo extract from WA today about shark attacks in WA.
Don't know how to do a link so a photo will have to do!!
IMG_4024.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 2 weeks later...

Most Aussies are urban dwellers and as such are seldom exposed to the 'horrors of nature'. I've noticed here the odd appearance of a snake, as witnessed in a beach car park, in Perth's northern suburbs, a couple of years ago, attracted a lot of attention. I'm pretty sure, few if any, were overseas visitors. Hence most people are not exposed to much of danger, with the possible exception of red back spiders under something in the back garden. In the WA context anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

March flies. Best to let it land on you, pick it up and pull it's head off. No point trying to swat it, it'll keep coming back.

Mozzies. Use Aeroguard. I once had 58 bites in one day, below the knee. I had been in a cool garage and damp garden.  Worse case scenario would be Ross river virus. 

Pesky flies. Far easier to just swallow, than trying to gag it out.

Have seen 3 dugites, all in the same garden where there is an aviary. Seed  for birds attract mice, a meal for snakes.

Red backs.  Use common sense. Spray around garden furniture before barbie, and brush down any webs. They're not out to get ya. 

Kookaburra. Lovely birds, but don't leave your sausages on the barbie unattended.:)

Bogans. Steer clear of at all costs. They're highly toxic, or is that intoxicated? 

Armadale line. Avoid after dark.

Swooping maggies. Funny to watch actually.

Cyclists at weekends on the road. They hunt in huge packs.

Otherwise, no dramas.

• 3 weeks later...

There are shark patrols on the main beaches, your kids will not be at risk - it's the surfers and spear fishers who go further out that have potential trouble. With spiders and snakes its a case of knowing the sensible precautions... like don't leave your shoes outside the front door, don't start picking up piles of rocks or sticks without gloves on, beware of patches of long grass, that kind of thing, and if you see sign saying 'snakes' it's probably best to stay on the path. By the way anti-venom has improved now to the point that any snake bite in the area can be treated at the nearest hospital even if you don't know what type of snake it was.  Not to downplay the wildlife risks, I would be much more concerned to teach the kids about the hazards of car drivers and unleashed dogs, to be honest.  On the positive side, in Perth you can see an amazing array of birds, there are turtles in the lakes (in the parks) dolphins in the swan & canning rivers, swans (of course), and if you go up into the hills there are heaps of kangaroos and other great animals.  ps I was once attacked by a duck as I cycled too close to it's chicks - a bit unexpected, the usual hazard when cycling is swooping magpies.

Archived