Finally arrived in Brisbane! Part 1

Wonderingaloud

Well we are here at long last! Flew Singapore airlines, we were really worried about being over weight (20kg allowance which we got upped to 25kgs in advance though our cases finally weighed 24 and 28kgs:confused:) but we needn't have! The guy who checked the bags in didn't bat an eyelid, didn't weigh hand luggage (which was also well overweight:embarrassed:) and our personal items were not really the slimline laptop sleeves they advised on the website, but big and bulky (because they were stuffed with socks, and god only knows what else)

Anyway, flight to Singapore was good, as good as a 15hour flight in economy can be at least, though the second leg really did us in. Just after take off a lady 6 rows in front of us had a stroke, and was unconscious so we had to land in Jakarta, Indonesia. Because the plane landed with full fuel tanks, we were delayed then 5 hours whilst they checked the plane over to make sure it wouldn't fall pieces when we took off again:err: so we arrived in Brisbane at 11am pretty shattered, but none the less managed to get through customs, sort out our car hire and drive to our temp accommodation. :smile:

(just as a side note: we later heard the lady who had the stroke was fine and recobpvering well)

Customs was by far the easiest, breeziest experience iv had going into any country. We declared our Yorkshire teabags, they didn't even check! Just said 'oh no worries mate' and out we walked!

First impressions of Brisbane, great! Lovely weather, 21 degrees but felt much warmer because of the humidity. The local area we are staying is lovely, clean leafy, lots of nice attention to detail on the walkways and in public areas. And driving down the M1 was great, everywhere seemed to be really well signed and took us no time at all to find where we were staying.

We had a little walk round a local aldi to pick up some bits and pieces, was abit disappointed with the choice, and some items they didnt sell (like sugar) but I don't think it was a major outlet and on the whole the price wasn't too bad. I will report on my findings of doing a proper food shop, having researched the cost of living extensively on this and other forums over the past few months!

After that, we hit the sack at about 1830, woke at 2am, then slept until 6am when we sat outside in our pjs listening to all the woo woo birds with a cup of coffee.:biggrin: Then at 11am just couldn't stay awake any longer, so slept the whole afternoon until 5pm.:SLEEP:

What a killer this jet lag is!

So now it's 7 but feels like morning (even though it's dark outside) and we have wasted a whole day just slouching around! :eek:

We are hoping we will sleep tonight throughh till tomorrow am, and will then be in keeping with aussie time. Though in all honesty I think that's a little ambitious, I can see us being wide awake at 1am::arghh:

Anyway, Will update when we are a looking a bit more like this:jiggy: and a little less like this :dull:

Guest keith T8

Congratulations on making it. Hope everything works out well for you. Interesting post. We are hoping to be there in August.

Keith

Guest Bath2Brisbane

Congratulations on your safe arrival. Just heard today that we have our visa, so should be heading to Brisbane in July. Where are you hoping to live? Look forward to reading your posts. Nikki

Well we are here at long last! Flew Singapore airlines, we were really worried about being over weight (20kg allowance which we got upped to 25kgs in advance though our cases finally weighed 24 and 28kgs:confused:) but we needn't have! The guy who checked the bags in didn't bat an eyelid, didn't weigh hand luggage (which was also well overweight:embarrassed:) and our personal items were not really the slimline laptop sleeves they advised on the website, but big and bulky (because they were stuffed with socks, and god only knows what else)

Anyway, flight to Singapore was good, as good as a 15hour flight in economy can be at least, though the second leg really did us in. Just after take off a lady 6 rows in front of us had a stroke, and was unconscious so we had to land in Jakarta, Indonesia. Because the plane landed with full fuel tanks, we were delayed then 5 hours whilst they checked the plane over to make sure it wouldn't fall pieces when we took off again:err: so we arrived in Brisbane at 11am pretty shattered, but none the less managed to get through customs, sort out our car hire and drive to our temp accommodation. :smile:

(just as a side note: we later heard the lady who had the stroke was fine and recobpvering well)

Customs was by far the easiest, breeziest experience iv had going into any country. We declared our Yorkshire teabags, they didn't even check! Just said 'oh no worries mate' and out we walked!

First impressions of Brisbane, great! Lovely weather, 21 degrees but felt much warmer because of the humidity. The local area we are staying is lovely, clean leafy, lots of nice attention to detail on the walkways and in public areas. And driving down the M1 was great, everywhere seemed to be really well signed and took us no time at all to find where we were staying.

We had a little walk round a local aldi to pick up some bits and pieces, was abit disappointed with the choice, and some items they didnt sell (like sugar) but I don't think it was a major outlet and on the whole the price wasn't too bad. I will report on my findings of doing a proper food shop, having researched the cost of living extensively on this and other forums over the past few months!

After that, we hit the sack at about 1830, woke at 2am, then slept until 6am when we sat outside in our pjs listening to all the woo woo birds with a cup of coffee.:biggrin: Then at 11am just couldn't stay awake any longer, so slept the whole afternoon until 5pm.:SLEEP:

What a killer this jet lag is!

So now it's 7 but feels like morning (even though it's dark outside) and we have wasted a whole day just slouching around! :eek:

We are hoping we will sleep tonight throughh till tomorrow am, and will then be in keeping with aussie time. Though in all honesty I think that's a little ambitious, I can see us being wide awake at 1am::arghh:

Anyway, Will update when we are a looking a bit more like this:jiggy: and a little less like this :dull:

Hi ya,

Welcome to Brisbane. We left Manchester on Sunday too after an emotional farewell on the street. All the family and neighbours seeing us off. Sorry to hear you had such a rough ride. We debated about our flights, fortunately the flight was excellent and we arrived here at 1 am. So we got to bed at about 5, kids fast asleep at 3 and woke at 9.30. Rushed for breakfast just as it was finishing, but the staff were so accomadating. Normally I suffer badly with jetlag so I sympathise with you. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Where abouts are u staying. We have got a holiday rental in Scarborough until 15th. So the next few days we will be frantically looking for a house. Just so many places. I start work on 9th May in the city but want to live outside. We are going for a drive out today to Caboolture but may look at areas like north lakes and Warner. Looking at renting a new or near new house for now. I don't mind commuting for a while.

Read all those threads with people doing all the paperwork thing when they first get here but have not sorted that out yet. However we did pick up the medicare forms yesterday. Need to sort phones out etc...... All this planning these last 12 months still I am here with having not done things yet. MInd you it is only 3 days since we got here.

Take care and enjoy!!!

x Helen

What is with Singapore Airlines and sick people :laugh: We got diverted to Dubai on the 15 hour leg to London from Singapore to put a lady in hospital. The funny thing was when we were waiting to board oh said look at those people hope none of them are sick, think he put the moz on it.

They will not run out of medicare cards, telephones, tax file nos so wait until you feel refreshed and able to battle bureaucracy :laugh:

Welcome to Bris!! Hope you are managing to get over the jetlag and relax a little.

Keep us updated with your progress- its up and downs and exciting and confusing all at the same time so we are all here to share.

Take care!!

Guest wright2go

Welcome to Brisbane! We arrived last year in August and I still remember the excitement of making a new start. I hope you enjoy Brisbane as much as we do. Where in Brisbane will you rent / buy? I am looking forward to your update. Good luck!

Guest Louey

Hey

Welcome to Brisbane....I would say sunny Brissie but it appears to have been a bit rainy the last few days but hey at least it's warm. Great update sorry to here about the flight diversion though!!!

We have been here about 3 months and love it, we are down on the Gold Coast. Where abouts are you going to be living? If you have any questions about stuff drop me a PM.

We made a couple of mistakes when we got here so these top tips might prevent you doing the same.

Medicare make sure you have your passport and a copy of your visa even if a paper copy as they will only issue a 3 month card otherwise and you have to go back.

Driving Licence you must have evidence of your Aussie address e.g. Bank Statement and lots of proof of ID Passport, Aussie bank cards, Medicare card and of course UK licence. I think you can drive for at least 3 months on your UK licence but just check the Dept of Transport Site. We got our bank to print out a statement whilst we were there and used it for ID of address.

Tax File number can be done at Centrelink and I would recommend that asap as it can take upto 28 days to send out. If you are due to start work anytime soon you will need it otherwise they charge you extra tax which you cant claim back until end of tax year in July. Most employers give you 4 weeks to provide it before they charge higher tax rate.

Hope that helps..... but most of all enjoy!!!