Mental illness and working holiday visa

Guest neoirl

Guest neoirl

Hey everyone!

Has anybody declared a mental illness such as depression or mild bipolar disorder when applying for a working holiday visa?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neoirl

Hi everyone again!

Just a quick message to let everyone know that I got my WHV (with the intention of permanent residency) granted on the basis of a mental illness.

My Visa was lodged on the 5th of April 2011. It was referred to the MOC on the 13th of April, which was yesterday, and today, 14th April, my WHV was granted.

I can't believe how quickly it was processed.

The MOC were obviously happy with my Psychiatric report from a consultant.

So, if anyone else is taking my route to residency via a WHV, and has a mental illness such as depression or bipolar disorder, just make sure to attach a medical letter from a consultant psychiatrist stating your condition, medication and prognosis.

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully declaring this now will stand to me when applying for residency.

Guest neoirl
Curious - how are you using a WHV as a route to residency?

Hi Peach!

I'm using a WHV to allow me to gain Oz work experience, which will be worth more points under the new points system.

Guest neoirl
Gotcha :o) Hope that works out for you.

Cheers Peach!

Also DIAC will be able to see that I am not a burden on their health system, as they will be able to see after a year or two in Oz, that my med expenses are low.

Archived