Help from Tradies please ~ Worried

cartertucker

We have validated our visas & are due to be moving to WA (Nor) toward the end of this year (Sep+)

However, after our validation trip (In Feb this year) my Husband, who is a roofer, has serious concerns about working outside on a roof in the blistering heat :shocked:

We knew that Australia gets hot.....But actually experiencing high 30's was a real reality check :wacko:

Would be great to hear from anyone that emigrated & now works outside....As the concerns are really making us have a good think :idea:

Many thanks :wubclub:

Hi Caretuckers,

My oh is a roof plumber and hes been here nearly 3 years doing it, he was never a sun or heat fan back in the uk! He actually says the higher 30s are better than the high 20s to work in.

He just takes plenty of water and lathers up in sunblock!

I hope someone comes by with an answer soon Kelly. I know this summer is allegedly hotter than normal and that you didnt really get a chance to aclimatise in just a few short weeks. The bloke that installed our Foxtel said that he is not allowed on roofs over 35c but as you know there is loads of building going on here and if you go for a walk past the new housing going up you hear the gangs of roofers chatting and laughing with eachother and they are Brits!:eek:

Matt works indoors but with no air con and with hot machinery and he reckons he doesnt feel the difference between 30c and 40c anymore he says he just gets used to sweating and gets on with it.:swoon:

Me well I just enjoy the aircon. P.S. its dropping to 21c at the end of this week:shocked:I will be getting my woolies out :biglaugh:

Hi Kelly

OH is a plasterer here and has also worked in property maintenance and in a steel factory.

Yes, he gets hot and sweaty but like the others say, he drinks plenty and slaps on the sunscreen and hat and just copes with it.......and theres always the pool or the ocean at the end of the day to cool off in, lol!!!

Guest Sebbers

Hi Kelly well we've been here 2 wks now, Darren started work outside on Monday he's said its been hard out in the sun but drinks loads, has plenty of sunblock on and has no intention of going back to the uk he loves it here. On the otherhand Charlotte's b/f went to work with him yesterday labouring on the brickies and he came home quite ill, really wasn't suited to working outside in the sun,I guess everyone is different, I for one wouldn't fancy it either.

Hi Kelly well we've been here 2 wks now, Darren started work outside on Monday he's said its been hard out in the sun but drinks loads, has plenty of sunblock on and has no intention of going back to the uk he loves it here. On the otherhand Charlotte's b/f went to work with him yesterday labouring on the brickies and he came home quite ill, really wasn't suited to working outside in the sun,I guess everyone is different, I for one wouldn't fancy it either.

Wey Hey its Sebbers posting from this side:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:Glad he likes it Andrea x

Guest edwardsfamily

my husband works inside as a spark, however he knows lots of people who do work outside and its a case of keeping your fluid levels up, and not just with water! the amount of electrolytes we loose during the heat, means they need to be replaced so drinking things like powerade and even things like diorolyte (like when youve had a sickness bug!) will help with things like concentration and balance etc and not leave you feeling unwell.

he also says you have to be prepared...things like cool boxes, eskies for food and drink etc all help with your day in the sun....and of course, the sunscreen :) As most have said, its tough being out in the sun and heat all day, as it is the cold and snow in the uk! just different things needed to make it go smoother.

Hi Kelly ! My OH is a carpenter so outside most of the time- he found it tiring to start with but after a few weeks got used to the heat- just have to drink loads and loads of water- u can buy big insulated drink containers here from Coles supermarket etc , wear sunscreen and hat and sunnies and he will be fine. :cool:Sept good time to come as will get used to the heat by Jan/Feb when it got even hotter ( which I didnt think possible ) :laugh:

Take care

Dawn xx

I was a sun lover working in the uk but my first day at work in Brisbane was really tough , it was one of the most humid days of the year and although only 34 degrees the humidity makes it a lot worse , but it has gotten easier as I've acclimatised . I drank 9 litres of liquid and urinated about half a litre all day ! I wear a wide brimmed hat and always a shirt . And a couple of spare shirts ! And a hand towel to wipe sweat before I get in ute . I've spent a couple of days on tin roofs and they burn if you touch them ! But I think of the snow and how I used to feel sick with numb fingers and there's nowhere else I'd rather be !

• 2 years later...

Hi All

Just so all you plumbers roofers etc are aware, many sunscreens can damage the steel roofing (Colorbond) here in Oz. There is something about the chemicals in standard sunscreen that causes problems with the finish of the roof if it comes off your skin while handling or kneeling on the roof. At Plumbers Choice we sell Red Back Sunblock (shameless plug) it is tested and is ok on the steel rooves. To be fair it is available at a lot of other outlets as well. Thought it was worth making you guys aware of the problem, nothing worse than being called back to the job or not getting paid because of the damage.

​cheers,