You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

kuching

What to do when we first reach Canberra?

Hi All, we have just bought our ticket from Penang - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne.. will be departing on the 26 Sep this year!

Haven't booked MEL - CBR though.. will check on Virgin Blue. Any good suggestion?

I'm curious, when we first reach Canberra, what do we need to do ? To go open a bank account, register for medicare, .. ?

:rolleyes:

Ching

IELTS - 21/05/09 |*| Graphic Designer VETASSESS 22/06/09 |*| Quota Check 03/07/09 |*| ACT SS 12/11/09 |*| DIAC 176 Visa 24/12/09 |*| CO 23/11/10 |*| Medical 15/12/10 |*| PCC 16/12/10 |*| Visa Granted 31/12/10 |*| Visit 26/09/11 |*| Arrival 08/02/12 *blog*

Guest chasm

The first thing I did when I arrived in Australia (in my first stint) a few years back was get a prepaid mobile phone so that I was contactable and a tax file number so that I was employable.

Don't know if you have a family etc so taking care of them might be your priority(which it is for me) rather than that route.

Hi All, we have just bought our ticket from Penang - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne.. will be departing on the 26 Sep this year!

Haven't booked MEL - CBR though.. will check on Virgin Blue. Any good suggestion?

I'm curious, when we first reach Canberra, what do we need to do ? To go open a bank account, register for medicare, .. ?

:rolleyes:

Ching

Hi Ching

Im not familiar with your route of travel so Im not sure if that is a good route for you. I know that Virgin Blue do fairly cheapish internal flights if you want to go from Melbourne to Canberra. We are flying into Sydney and driving to Canberra - we will hire a car for 2 weeks. I guess our priority as chasm says is the mobile phone and tax file number, after that our priority is buying a car, finding a school for our daughter and finding somewhere to live. We used an agent and she advised us to do the following on arrival:

The following is a comprehensive list of “Things to Do” to assist your migration settlement to Australia.

1. Relocation Services: Moneycorp are UK based and offer expert advice for currency conversion and international money transfer and can provide a full range services, including special one-way plane fares, bank account set up to assist you in your move. They offer the best deals available for currency conversion and money transfer without the banking fees – they also work closely with a number of removal services, which offer very good prices. This is a free no obligation service. I can ask Sarah from Moneycorp to speak with you regarding their services. It is worth having a chat even if you decide to make your own arrangements.

2. Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN)

To receive an income in Australia, you need a Tax File Number (TFN). Income includes wages or salary from a job, payments from the government, and money earned from investments including interest on savings accounts.

Once you arrive in Australia as a Permanent Resident you can apply for a TFN over the internet or visit an ATO office in person.

See: https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

3. Register with Medicare

The Australian Government provides help with basic medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare. As a Permanent Resident you will be eligible for Medicare to gain immediate access to health care services and programs. These include free public hospital care, help with the cost of out-of-hospital care, and subsidised medicines.

You will need to visit a local Medicare office 7 to 10 days after your arrival in Australia with your passports and visa approval letter.

See About Medicare - Medicare Australia for detailed information.

There are many different private health insurance options you may wish to consider Private Health Insurance - iSelect , as Medicare does not provide for all services e.g. Medicare does not cover dental care, most optical care or ambulance services.

Private health insurance funds may cover costs for your treatment as a private patient in private or public hospitals. The government has a website which provides detailed information about private health insurance funds, including overseas students and how the private health system works. See PrivateHealth.gov.au - Australian Health Insurance Information

4. Register with Centrelink

Centrelink contributes to the social and economic outcomes set by government by delivering services to assist people to become self-sufficient and supporting those in need. As a newly arrived migrant, you do not have access to the full range of government services.

See Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period for detailed information on the services available and waiting periods.

5. Apply for a Driver's Licence

As a permanent resident visa holder with a current driver's licence from another country you are allowed to drive for your first three months after arrival.

After the three months you will need to have the appropriate driver's licence. This will usually require you to pass a knowledge test and an eyesight test. In Australia, drivers' licences are issued by state and territory governments.

See RTA site for NSW RTA Home Page

6. Children and Schooling in NSW

Work and Family Life Parents and Carers - NSW Industrial Relations

ACT Public schooling DET - High Schools (Public)

My Schools Site http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Childcare: Child Care - australia.gov.au

7. Accommodation

www.domain.com.au

www.realestate.com.au

www.accommodationinsydney.com.au/

www.rent-a-home.com.au/accommodation/nsw/

Suzanne

The first thing I did when I arrived in Australia (in my first stint) a few years back was get a prepaid mobile phone so that I was contactable and a tax file number so that I was employable.

Don't know if you have a family etc so taking care of them might be your priority(which it is for me) rather than that route.

thanks chasm :)

We are just a couple with no kids. So things get a little easier on our side.

so.. the to do list start with

1) a prepaid mobile phone

2) tax file number

may I know what else should I get myself prepaid for?

IELTS - 21/05/09 |*| Graphic Designer VETASSESS 22/06/09 |*| Quota Check 03/07/09 |*| ACT SS 12/11/09 |*| DIAC 176 Visa 24/12/09 |*| CO 23/11/10 |*| Medical 15/12/10 |*| PCC 16/12/10 |*| Visa Granted 31/12/10 |*| Visit 26/09/11 |*| Arrival 08/02/12 *blog*

Thank you Suzanne for the superb information! great!

a big hug to you.. :hug:

cheers!

To those who is on ACT State Sponsorship, do we need to report ourselves to the ACT Skilled Migration Program office once we reach Canberra?

To those who is on ACT State Sponsorship, do we need to report ourselves to the ACT Skilled Migration Program office once we reach Canberra?

Hi Ching

When we spoke to Julianne back in Feb she told us to let her know that we had arrived in the first 4 weeks so we could meet up with someone from the ACT team.

Suzanne

Hi Ching

When we spoke to Julianne back in Feb she told us to let her know that we had arrived in the first 4 weeks so we could meet up with someone from the ACT team.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne, it's good to know that :cute:

ching