You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

gaz n family

flying a few items

i am trying, without much luck to get excess baggage with malaysia airlines, so needing a back up plan. Has anyone flown out a couple of boxes, or suitcases of clothes before. If so who did you use and roughly how much did it cost?

08/06/10 TRA received 26/10/10 SA SS Approved 14/11/10. VISA APP lodged 19th Nov 2010 -CO 21/02/11 - VISA GRANTED 08/03/11 ARRIVED IN ADELAIDE 18 July 2011 AND LOVING EVERY SECOND:

siamsusie

Thanks, but we were looking to have the suitcase/boxes flown out there. Basically if i cannot get the excess baggage (40Kgs) i will need to have 2 or 3 more suitcases of clothes. As i will be on the lookout for a job (unless i get one before i leave) i will need my suits, and the likes, same for the wife. There is no way on earth we will be able to manager for approximately 12 weeks on 4 suitcases of clothes for the 4 of us.

We are flying to Chine with Virgin Atlantic, so luggage is not an issue with them, i can have 8 suitcases, plus 2 items of hand luggage each. Its the flights from China to Australia that we are struggling with. I guess if i were fluent in Cantonese i would have them sent from Shanghai, but knowing my luck they will end up in the Falkland Islands.....................

08/06/10 TRA received 26/10/10 SA SS Approved 14/11/10. VISA APP lodged 19th Nov 2010 -CO 21/02/11 - VISA GRANTED 08/03/11 ARRIVED IN ADELAIDE 18 July 2011 AND LOVING EVERY SECOND:

Guest siamsusie
siamsusie

Thanks, but we were looking to have the suitcase/boxes flown out there. Basically if i cannot get the excess baggage (40Kgs) i will need to have 2 or 3 more suitcases of clothes. As i will be on the lookout for a job (unless i get one before i leave) i will need my suits, and the likes, same for the wife. There is no way on earth we will be able to manager for approximately 12 weeks on 4 suitcases of clothes for the 4 of us.

We are flying to Chine with Virgin Atlantic, so luggage is not an issue with them, i can have 8 suitcases, plus 2 items of hand luggage each. Its the flights from China to Australia that we are struggling with. I guess if i were fluent in Cantonese i would have them sent from Shanghai, but knowing my luck they will end up in the Falkland Islands.....................

Ah I see Gaz.. apologies... yes there companies that fly items over unaccompanied... people like DHL etc . I havent personally done this but I have seen PIO'ers fly their "tools" over without problems. I will have a wee search for you.

I think one of the things to watch for is the "hidden" costings.

My husband flies into KL with Malaysian every fortnight, I would have thought their KL office would have helped you if you have problems at the China end. They are exceptionally helpful.

Ok had a wee look http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/107781-excess-baggage-small-shipments.html post l

http://www.intercargo.co.uk/

Ah I see Gaz.. apologies... yes there companies that fly items over unaccompanied... people like DHL etc . I havent personally done this but I have seen PIO'ers fly their "tools" over without problems. I will have a wee search for you.

My husband flies into KL with Malaysian every fortnight, I would have thought their KL office would have helped you if you have problems at the China end. They are exceptionally helpful.

Ok had a wee look http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/107781-excess-baggage-small-shipments.html post l

Intercargo

Siamausie. No need to apologise, you are always helpful, and yet again you have proven you're are a huge asset to PIO. The website you have posted the link to looks ideal, well cheap compared to some of the offensive quotes i have been given.

Intercargo

Could i ask you a HUGE favour. Next time your other half is in KL and has a spare couple of mins, could he get an email address so i can contanct them?

Thanks.

Guest siamsusie
Could i ask you a HUGE favour. Next time your other half is in KL and has a spare couple of mins, could he get an email address so i can contanct them?

Thanks.

:yes:Not a problem Gaz:wubclub:

I have those email addressess, but they are not replying to my previous emails. I have sent three now, first one 3 weeks ago.

When i spoke to the agent in London, he advised i contact the local office from my departure direct as no one else has the authority to grant such a request.

Hi Gaz

We are in the process of looking into this as well, have you looked at Seven Seas as they do air freight and takes about 2 weeks to get to Au. We did an online quote for 2 tea chest boxes not weighing more than 30kg and it came in at £330 thats from Scotland to Canberra. But also you need to factor in customs and quarantine costs.

Hope this helps

Rich

Guest siamsusie
I have those email addressess, but they are not replying to my previous emails. I have sent three now, first one 3 weeks ago.

When i spoke to the agent in London, he advised i contact the local office from my departure direct as no one else has the authority to grant such a request.

Gaz, if you care to drop me a PM with your emails address and details, I will ask the Oh to call into the offices for you this week in KL.

:wubclub:Susie x

Guest Sam C

Hi Gaz, this thread might be of use...

Shipping a few boxes only

Most companies will ship suitcases an pre-packed baggage - but in my experience they seem to over-quote these 'irregular' items, so just empty your stuff into one of their Tea Cartons!

And if it's literally a couple of boxes and it's urgent air freight (although obviously more expensive) may be the way to go.

Good luck!

We sent a bike and guitar air freight from Oz to Uk, they went visa Singapore we went via KL we picked them up from the airport.

Can't remember who we used I just googled a few and got some quotes it wasn't too bad - certainly cheaper than excess baggage even pre-paid and to be honest you can only handle so many cases!!

They charge by volume or weight whichever is the most!!

You will need some idea of size and weight to get quotes.

Good luck

So many wineries ......so little time :yes: