Commute to Mater Womens Hospital

Cinders5055

I have just been offered a Midwifery post at the Mater Women and Childrens Hospital and have been given a start date of Feb 1st! :biggrin:

I will be coming to Brisbane on a 457 visa with my husband and youngest daughter (12 yrs old). I'm not sure where to start looking for property and schools but although I don't mind a short commute i don't want to travel too much.

Which areas do you suggest I start looking, can't wait to get there..

Lisa

I have just been offered a Midwifery post at the Mater Women and Childrens Hospital and have been given a start date of Feb 1st! :biggrin:

I will be coming to Brisbane on a 457 visa with my husband and youngest daughter (12 yrs old). I'm not sure where to start looking for property and schools but although I don't mind a short commute i don't want to travel too much.

Lisa

Hi cinders, will public transport be involved at all or all by car?

There's a bit of a discussion about this on another thread - I think one about Wellington Point maybe?

Anyway, my 2 cents! One area you might like to look is the Bayside - Suburbs like Wellington Point, Cleveland, Ormiston, Thornalnds etc - all along the coast in that area. It's about a 30 minute drive to the Mater from there on a reasonable run. At peak times it's probably about 10 minutes more than that.

Lovely family areas, with good schools.

I am sure there will be other suggestions from people who live in lovely areas as well.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest JamieMac78

Hi Lisa,

Many congrats.

My wife has also been offered a post at Mater Hospital, we're at the early stages though as she needs to submit her registration (think it takes about 4-5 months (?)...).

Be great to hear how you get on.

We were hoping to move out there near the end of the year, although that all depends on the registration/visa's and finances.

I haven't got a clue where to look for accomodation, but these suggestions really help.

Good luck :-)

Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

I have just put in for my registration also - and as I said they have given me a start date of Feb 1st. So you may well be out there before me!! I'm looking at leaving the UK Mid Jan.

Is your wife a midwife? Congrats to her too! Be good to chat.

Lisa

Guest JamieMac78

Hi Lisa,

Yes, she's a midwife too.

We went along to the Expo in London a couple of weeks ago and she had an interview with the director, then they offered her the job. We were a bit taken by surprise with the speed of it all, but happy as it's gavin us a bit of a kick up the backside to get it all processed.

Originally, we were looking at moving to Melbourne as my wife has family there, but I've never been convinced about the climate and the hospital in Bris have offered relocation costs, which would help us massively to get out there this year.

We've got 2 kids too, so that's a bit of extra stress on top, but we're sure we're doing the right thing for us and the kids.

My wife is in the process of getting all the documents certified so once that's done, we can get the registration sent off.

It's all very exciting, but daunting at the same time. We keep having a few moments where were not sure were doing the right thing, but I think that's going to come up over the next few months.

Do you have family/friends in Brisbane?

Jamie.

Yeah it is a bit fast isnt it?

I too had an interview on 25/03/11 and was offered the job that day. Luckily i had my documents prepared so they were verified the same day.

I do have quite a few aunts, uncles and cousins in Brisbane so I feel like we have a network there already. I didn't fancy melbourne seemed like the climate was a bit close to London for me. I feel like a complete change!

How old are your children? I have three girls (22, 18, and 12 plus one grandson 4 months) My eldest can't make up her mind what she wants to do - middle one wants to do Uni in the UK. she starts forensics 2012 and will be moving in with my dad. So we're only bringing my 12 year old to start.

Where does your wife work I'm at the Whittington in London at the moment.

Lisa

Guest JamieMac78

That's exactly how we feel about the climate in Melbourne, unfortunately we don't have any family in Brisbane but one of my wife's colleagues is moving out there to work for Mater in the next couple of weeks, so she does know one person.

The thing we like about the offer from Mater is that they would be willing to sponsor residency after a year in the job, so at least that way if it didn't work out and we missed family too much, we could always move to Melbourne after the 2 year period.

It's almost a means to getting out to Oz as quickly as we can.

We have a daughter who's 4 in August and son that's 2 in August, so the daughter would be starting school in Feb (I think) out there. So that's always a way to meet people too, as well as people at Mater and my job once I get one.

I really want to do it, but I think my wife is a bit apprehensive as her mum and husband (an auzzie) are really close to the kids, but they want to move to Melbourne.

I just think it's such a good opportunity we should go for it.

My wife works for the PRU hospital in Orpington, she used to work in London years ago for UCLH, until we had the first child, then she relocated to the local hospital.

Lots to think about, but we're very excited by it all, just hoping it all pans out and we actually make the move :-)

Rudi I have had a look at Wellington Point and it looks lovely - I will get family on the case looking for a school. Thank you

Lisa X

Both the Wellington Point State Primary and State high schools have a good reputation. People also speak well of Cleveland State High. Thornlands State primary is good and the new school in Thornlands - Bayview is also good, although you pretty much have to live in catchment to get into that one.

There are a number of private and semi private schools in the area as well if that's what you are looking for.

Love

Rudi

x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rachyj

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Just thought I would throw 'Manly' into the equation as a possible place for you to live as well, which is where we now live :-). We moved in Feb from Bulimba and so far are loving it and find it very family friendly for me, hubby, son (3) and now 12 day old daughter. I can tell you exactly the commute time to the Mater Women's as I had a baby there last week:wink:! It takes about 30 mins to drive from Manly (we did this several times in rush hour) or the other option is to get the train into Southbank and walk about 10 mins to the hospital. My midwife actually lived in Wynnum which is the next suburb along and she was based at the Mater....

Hope you find this info useful...

Rach x

Hi Rach

Congratulations! Hope you had a nice delivery :biggrin:

Manly looks really nice, and actually was the place I first looked at way back when I was first thinking about coming to Oz. Thank you for the commute times - really useful.

My daughter has been looking at schools on the internet and really likes the look of Brisbane Bayside State College which is in Wynnum West.

At least I know the commute will be the around the same time as my commute now - thanks so much.

Lisa X

Hi all,

I'm a midwife and have been offered a job at the smaller private division of Mater out in Cleveland. I didn't want to commute into the city so am going to give that one a go and see what I think, it may be too quiet for me but who knows.

we are a reasonable way in on our visa application, i.e it has been submitted but no case officer yet. All paperwork has gone into nursing reg but again, no answer on that yet. We are looking at living in Wellington point or Cleveland area.

Must all keep in touch and update.

Sam

Husband who's a plasterer and bricky, boy aged 7, girl aged 3 (nearly 4)

• 1 month later...

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Congrats on getting your job. I am very interested in the application process you went through. I'm a paeds nurse and have been considering Mater hospital. We already have perm residency and are planning to move in a years time (summer 2012) I wasn't going to start looking into jobs until next year but it sounds like they are willing to wait quite a while between interview and start date. It would be great to hear your views on that.

We plan to go to an expo in September so should I have my CV all ready and be prepared to be interviewed? I'm applying for registration at the moment so am doing a CV for that. Any other tips??

jamiemac78 I saw that your kids are the same age as mine. My Son turns 4 this September and he will be starting school (prep) in Brisbane in 2013 ( Jan/Feb of the year he starts 6). Can't remember what the cut off date is but may be worth checking out if your eldest would be the same.

Good luck to both of you!

Hi Annalag

Well the process was quite simple really. I applied through the Mater Website and uploaded my CV and about two weeks later I received an e-mail inviting me to an interview in London. I was offered the post the same day, and was told that you have one year to start from the date of your formal offer. My offer was sent in March so I have been given a revised start date of March 1st.

http://www.exceptional.org.au/

I have only just sent off for my registration but I think its taking about 6 months so I have time.

Good luck

Lisa

Archived