Winter's Coming... :-)

Exile

We have a bit of warmer weather here in the uk........................... not really warm, nowhere near hot and a few get giddy about it................ its not easy forgetting the last 7 miserable months and ...................... we are a long way from it getting warm enough to call summer......................... I want the long hot/warm summer that Australia has to offer ...................... not the odd two or three days here and there that the uk gives us............... the last time we had a proper summer was ................... 1976.

the problem I find with the long hot/warm summer that Australia has to offer is that you need to be extra careful to actually enjoy it. The risk of burning and skin cancer is absolutely huge. The country's greatest lure....and it kills you if you are not careful :biggrin:

My other half is a Sydney girl, and she remembers the times where her family would head to the beach for a weekend and spend all day in the sun. By the end of the day they would all be getting a little bit hot and toasty. She says that now, she gets that same feeling in about 10 minutes of being outside in direct sunlight. Sure it looks good on postcards and photos, but it can be absolutely brutal. The Australian sun seems to be getting stronger and stronger.

I dont think people appreciate the intensity of the sun in Australia. Its ferocious. The difference between light and shade is often the difference between cold and hot. and i mean really hot. If you ever forget something like sunscreen, or to bring a hat, you can be properly screwed.

Also, lets not talk about the chaffing (LOL), bushfires, dead vegetation everywhere and the long summer nights where you cant get to sleep. Remember its much easier to warm up at night than it is to cool down.

Im not defending the UK winters, as they are indeed long and cold, but to some people the Australian summers can be just as uncomfortable!

If you haven't experienced one, then its easy to assume the Australian summer must be the perfect weather. Its really not. It has its upsides and downsides, like everything else.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bobby
the problem I find with the long hot/warm summer that Australia has to offer is that you need to be extra careful to actually enjoy it. The risk of burning and skin cancer is absolutely huge. The country's greatest lure....and it kills you if you are not careful :biggrin:

My other half is a Sydney girl, and she remembers the times where her family would head to the beach for a weekend and spend all day in the sun. By the end of the day they would all be getting a little bit hot and toasty. She says that now, she gets that same feeling in about 10 minutes of being outside in direct sunlight. Sure it looks good on postcards and photos, but it can be absolutely brutal. The Australian sun seems to be getting stronger and stronger.

I dont think people appreciate the intensity of the sun in Australia. Its ferocious. The difference between light and shade is often the difference between cold and hot. and i mean really hot. If you ever forget something like sunscreen, or to bring a hat, you can be properly screwed.

Also, lets not talk about the chaffing (LOL), bushfires, dead vegetation everywhere and the long summer nights where you cant get to sleep. Remember its much easier to warm up at night than it is to cool down.

Im not defending the UK winters, as they are indeed long and cold, but to some people the Australian summers can be just as uncomfortable!

If you haven't experienced one, then its easy to assume the Australian summer must be the perfect weather. Its really not. It has its upsides and downsides, like everything else.

Great post that everyone going to Oz should read, I watched so many Brits walking off a beach really suffering as they thought wearing a t-shirt would protect them and the kids....it will not, you will burn even in a t-shirt in Oz...a health warning should be given to new Brits when they arrive as they do not realise how strong the sun is in Oz.:eek:

Qld has a lot of rain and it seems to rain for months when it starts :embarrassed: Perth is the place if you want sun but even these folk are moaning it's to hot....the earth cannot win can it :goofy:

:confused:.......no moaning around these parts Booby.............:nah:

Guest Bobby

Not from you Tony, but I do here a lot of people moaning about the heat in Perth and pray for the winter to arrive.

Guest siamsusie

Not a whinge or a whine from me either. Just love it Tonyman:jiggy:

Guest Bobby
Not a whinge or a whine from me either. Just love it Tonyman

You will also never see me moaning about the weather either, another glorious day again and another barbie this afternoon :jiggy:after I have been down the pub.

Guest Bobby
dont drink too much,you might drown............:wink:

Problem is that the ale is so nice.....london Pride ale is my downfall :eek:

Went to Melbourne for the day and my teeth were chattering all the way back to Lara............the electric blanket is now back on the bed.

After 2 years, I am well and truly 'Australianised'......Is that a proper word?

I still prefer the cold to the heat though.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
dont drink too much,you might drown............:wink:

It says it is going to be highs of 15 degrees in London................ but it will probably feel like 25................lol

Guest Burchos
Gawd the UK weather is so depressing, even more so in the last six months

We were cheering when temperatures got above zero! Three foot of snow for three weeks would depress anyone - roll on visa approval! :biggrin::biggrin:

Here here.

Also last summer we bought the kids a deep pop up pool for the garden. Filled it with water, which took eight hours, spent about £80 on chemicals to keep water clean, they used it for a week in late May. The summer hols were pants. Can't wait to be fed up with the heat and looking forward to Australian winters!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Here here.

Also last summer we bought the kids a deep pop up pool for the garden. Filled it with water, which took eight hours, spent about £80 on chemicals to keep water clean, they used it for a week in late May. The summer hols were pants. Can't wait to be fed up with the heat and looking forward to Australian winters!

You could have moved darn sarth to London.............. there was a heatwave down there last year. lol:no:

Cambridge must be hundreds of miles north of London................. isn't it?:biglaugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
tis blooming freezing here, my house is at 600 meters and tis down to 5 at night and 20 during the day, am mr heater on my toes by night and three tshirts and a hoodie during the day..... and thats in a tractor with a heater lol

Stop yer bleating man and grow a pair. lol

it was -27 here in Yarkshire last December and for nearly six weeks it was -10 most nights and never once got above freezing.:elvis::cry::goofy::shocked:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It's about 18c here right now in Brissie (at 10pm) and I've got a hoodie and thick socks on. The extra blanket is already on the bed.

Not really the level of acclimatisation I was hoping for!

Thats our summer......... we haven't seen 18 degrees since last August, over 7 months ago. :no:

In fact we never get 18c at 10pm here in sunny yorkshire, :twitcy: are you sure your not catching cold.

Thats our summer......... we haven't seen 18 degrees since last August, over 7 months ago. :no:

In fact we never get 18c at 10pm here in sunny yorkshire, :twitcy: are you sure your not catching cold.

It must be a different Yorkshire to one I came from cos in summer it was regular that at 10pm...

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It must be a different Yorkshire to one I came from cos in summer it was regular that at 10pm...

You do realise mentioned summer....... and Yorkshire in the same sentence :laugh:

we do have the odd few weeks of intermittent days of nice weather, but summer to me is a few months of nice hot weather, its never been like that since 1976.

It makes you feel great when the weather picks up though.:wink:

It's about 18c here right now in Brissie (at 10pm) and I've got a hoodie and thick socks on. The extra blanket is already on the bed.

Not really the level of acclimatisation I was hoping for!

No, that's pretty bad. :wink: Now after 11pm in brisbane and I'm in undies, t-shirt and bare feet and temperature feels fine :biggrin: ...you live in one of those big new build brick and tile jobbies?

Guest Bobby

He is telling porkies again mate.:cute:

No, I live in a 40s Queenslander in Camp Hill.. I wondered why the builder had put in a brick fireplace!

Whereabouts are you in brissie?

queenslander, inner west. Really quite a mild night, you must be bloody freezing in winter :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Winter..that time when the thermometer goes under 20 C...BRRRRRRRRR:mad:

And that's at night.:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Ninety_Pound_Wuss_Ninety_Pound_Wuss.jpg

:hug: