Winter's Coming... :-)

Exile

For fans of the temperatures under 30 degrees, Winter is fast approaching in Australia.

Its definitely my favourite time of year, here in Sydney.

Being a red haired pale skinned guy of Gaelic decent almost makes me mortal enemies of the sun, and while I enjoy everything that goes with it being hot and sunny, there comes a time (usually March) where I 'm fed up of heat and just long for a dip in temperature, and Sydney delivers in spades every year :-)

I find the temperature of around 10 degrees perfect, its crisp enough to give things a wintery edge, but not cold enough so that you cant move your cheeks or chin! On maybe 2 days of the year I elect to wear a pair of socks in bed because its too "cold".

When I think of UK winters I often over romaticise that they are all bright and clear, with a chill in the air and frost on the ground, but I often forget just how cold and wet it can actually get!

The downside here is that the transition from Summer to Winter happens so fast that there may as well not be a word "Autumn" :D

For me, Australian winter represents a time where I can happily go for my evening runs again, I can wear more than a pair of shorts and t-shirt and not overheat. Its also the time of year that I actually feel 'Christmassy' :-)

Time to head off to Yuletide in the blue mountains and skiing in the snowy mountains.

Sydney winters rock!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siamsusie

We have lovely Autumns and Winters here in Tasmania, the colours are amazing. We lit our second wood fire of the season today, so the house is snuggly warm.

Looking forward to the clocks going back on Sunday, then I know winter has finally reached us.

Susie

Guest alison and Simon

I totally agree, we arrived in november and really struggled more with the fact that the christmas decorations were on display - it felt like they had made a mistake - didnt feel christmassy at all.:confused: I wonder if i will feel christmassy in july!!!!

I loved the cool crisp winters and now autumn is settling in here in victoria, i have brought the fleece blankets out for the dip in temperature and set the heating to come on just to take the chill in the morning as we get ready for school/ work etc.

Also gonna get some skiing in whilst we can and look forward to that too.xxx

My daughter is a redhead too and sooo pale and she has done well for her first summer in Aus.

The main thing i will be glad to see the back of is the mossies and the march flies!!!! OMG they are so annoying.

I wish we had a wood fire, i will miss that - have decided we will be holidaying in tassy every year during our peak summer.

:goofy:

Alison

We have lovely Autumns and Winters here in Tasmania, the colours are amazing. We lit our second wood fire of the season today, so the house is snuggly warm.

Looking forward to the clocks going back on Sunday, then I know winter has finally reached us.

Susie

Make up ya blinkin' mind, missy. You wanted daylight saving, now you don't...:arghh:

That's why QUEENSLAND is so good; no need to change the clocks...

And...our winters are better than the summers in the Yuk...er...UK.:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Make up ya blinkin' mind, missy. You wanted daylight saving, now you don't...:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

May to September Perfect.

Nights are getting cooler here, but at least you can snuggle in a warm bed, it's getting up in the morning and going outside that bothers me initially, but I can't cope with the humidity in Qld, drains me - the four seasons are just fine for me

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just to jog your memory over the uk weather, lol

We haven't been able to sit out once on an evening since last August which is over 7 months ago and................... theres no sign of us doing it any time soon................. it can be too hot i know, so............ enjoy the cooler the weather.

Guest alison and Simon
Just to jog your memory over the uk weather, lol

We haven't been able to sit out once on an evening since last August which is over 7 months ago and................... theres no sign of us doing it any time soon................. it can be too hot i know, so............ enjoy the cooler the weather.

I'd still rather be here than in the UK,,,, just enjoying the cooler season:biglaugh:

Guest siamsusie

Cheers, Bobj.

:skeptical: Are you a Troll?

Now I hated DLS in northern WA, it was too damned hot:cool:.. here I enjoy DLS.

I am a woman:embarrassed: I am allowed to chop and change my mind ok YOU!

:hug: wish we had as much rain as you are getting!:tongue::tongue::hug:

:skeptical: Are you a Troll?

Now I hated DLS in northern WA, it was too damned hot:cool:.. here I enjoy DLS.

I am a woman:embarrassed: I am allowed to chop and change my mind ok YOU!

:hug: wish we had as much rain as you are getting!:tongue::tongue::hug:

Does it show??

Troll.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Bobby

I actually prefered the winters in Oz (except for the rain) as you could actually go for a good run and just control how cool or warm you liked it, had my first winter for some time in the UK and loved it....very very cold but no rain as it was so cold it just snowed which was a great bonus.....get them woolley socks on :cute:

Guest Bobby

Cheers, Bobj.

Pity the summers are so wet

I actually prefered the winters in Oz (except for the rain) as you could actually go for a good run and just control how cool or warm you liked it, had my first winter for some time in the UK and loved it....very very cold but no rain as it was so cold it just snowed which was a great bonus.....get them woolley socks on :cute:

This:

DEFA1F9C36334AEDFFB5D88DA134F.jpg

Or this:

6-big-Campwin017.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We have a bit of warmer weather here in the uk........................... not really warm, nowhere near hot and a few get giddy about it................ its not easy forgetting the last 7 miserable months and ...................... we are a long way from it getting warm enough to call summer......................... I want the long hot/warm summer that Australia has to offer ...................... not the odd two or three days here and there that the uk gives us............... the last time we had a proper summer was ................... 1976.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Love the Autumn & Winter here in Melbourne, especially the smell of log fires burning!

What are the winters like there?

Or anywhere else, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, NSW?

We had 6 weeks of -10 weather here in November/December, i think the lowest recorded figure was -27..................... in our bedroom. lol

I'm also looking forward to winter and hoping that it's gonna dry up a bit because boy have we seen some rain since we got here...

So It's not all sun sun sun here in Qld

But I wouldn't swap it for moving back to Yorkshire for any amount of money because there is so much more to life than money and for us it's the life we have here in Qld Australia.

Leeds vs Forest today live on the BBC or live on the internet if you know where to look lol

Howard

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'm also looking forward to winter and hoping that it's gonna dry up a bit because boy have we seen some rain since we got here...

But I wouldn't swap it for moving back to Yorkshire for any amount of money because there is so much more to life than money and for us it's the life we have here in Qld Australia.

Leeds vs Forest today live on the BBC or live on the internet if you know where to look lol

Howard

Hi mate

they are on BBC1 which is unusual, sky usually have all the matches. Its getting to the business end of the season and it looks like a play off position which is great, but they have to keep winning.

I jacked in being a member of my golf club because i was paying nearly a grand a year and it was only nice-ish for 5 months, the rest of the time, it was horrible, or cold, raining and sludgy.............. when we were in Brisbane it was scorching, but............. we hired a buggy and it was brilliant as long as you drank alot of water and wore an hat, it was in the mid 30's and it was magic.

Just to add............ i know the summers are really hot and humid and i wouldn't want it like that all the time and i would also look forward to the cooler weather in the winter if i was over there, but............... its not really winter is it?

Guest AnubisUK

Also looking forward to winter :) I left the UK in September so basically have had 6 months of summer, so I'm so ready for some nice cold weather :D

Guest Bobby

Howard

Qld has a lot of rain and it seems to rain for months when it starts :embarrassed: Perth is the place if you want sun but even these folk are moaning it's to hot....the earth cannot win can it :goofy:

Qld has a lot of rain and it seems to rain for months when it starts :embarrassed: Perth is the place if you want sun but even these folk are moaning it's to hot....the earth cannot win can it :goofy:

I think Qld has broken records this last few months more rain than its had for years.

It's actually helped us get used to the heat having cool rainy days