SophieTheSoph

Which is better? 'Pros marriage' (300) + an 820/801 vs a 'partner' 319/301

I have Aus PR, and my partner and i are planning to move there before October when my visa expires.

We've been together for 4.5yrs (just over 4 living together and easily documented), so I am confident that we could apply for and get a 319 visa for him. However I read that if we'd been together for 5 yrs when we apply he'd quickly get a 301, which would be better. We can't wait until the 5 yr mark as my visa will expire 4 months before that, but we are debating getting a prospective marriage 300, getting hitched in Aus, then applying for a 820/801 after that.

Does anyone know if the 5 year + relationship date = getting PR (instead of temp for 2 yrs) more quickly is the same as for the 319/301?

Any advice gratefully received!

S

Hi, they changed the rules last year - you now only need to be together for three years to skip the two year temporary visa : 1127.pdf (application/pdf Object)

(Link is to the partner migration booklet)

Thanks Peach - I must have had an old version of the booklet! That is great news.

I guess we'll need to get our paperwork together in double quick time now to make sure my partners visa is granted by Oct...!

S