Medicals - post kidney transplant for 457 visa

AlburyAhoy

Hi there,

We are in the process of moving to Albury. My Hubbie has a job with a company who will sponsor him on a 457 visa. My only fear is that I have a kidney transplant and I am afraid it will cause problems on the medical. I have it 16 years this May but take a lot of medication which in Ireland is paid for.

If anybody has any advice or has been through a similar scenario I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Sian x

Hi there,

We are in the process of moving to Albury. My Hubbie has a job with a company who will sponsor him on a 457 visa. My only fear is that I have a kidney transplant and I am afraid it will cause problems on the medical. I have it 16 years this May but take a lot of medication which in Ireland is paid for.

If anybody has any advice or has been through a similar scenario I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Sian x

What was the reason for the transplant 16 years ago? what problems did you have with the kidney? we go for our medicals this week so i will let you know how we go on although my wife hasent had a transplant so may be diff.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had a kidney translant 12 years this June, although we're in England. Same situation with the job front, but OH being sponsored to go to NSW. Will keep in touch and let you know anything I find out, sorry for the short post but have to run

• 1 month later...
Guest feezer

Hi, I'm new to this site and joined because I'd love info on this issue. I have kidney failure (end stage) and my Mum is going to give me one of her kidneys.

Travelling far from my hospital isn't possible (bit risky to do my regular India trips!) at the moment, but am keen to hear more from people who know about applying/being granted visas post-transplant.

Can I even consider this as a possibility?!?

Hope to hear (anything!) from some of you

Thanks

Congrats Proview! That is great news. Our 457 visa is at processing commenced since 15th June. The agent included a letter I had from my nephrologist int he application so we will see what happens. Hope it comes through soon. Best of luck everybody else

xx

Hi Cal2,

The 457 is my Hubbie's. Myself and our son are tagging along :)

Same as me, we're bringing 2 boys and a girl, just about to start our 457 via an agent, so we shall see, thanks for the info re a letter, will ask my consultant for one, what sort of info did your consultant include, if you don't mind me asking?

Cal

Hi similar thing for my partner.

Any ideas on what medical cover to get?? How much prescriptions are??

Really need some advice here as in really keen to go (bein sponsored) but my partner is apprenhensive because of cost if health care.

We are in the UK.

These are the meds he is taking and his condition.

Medication (Daily):

Azathopprine 50 mg.

Prednisolone 5 mg.

Advagraf (Tacrolimus) 4 mg.

Chronic Renal Failure caused by "Reflux" at birth.

HaemoDialysis for 1999 - 2004

Kindney Transplanted Sept 2004

Hospital Check-Ups Every 4 Months.

Any help would be sooo appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spongy42

Hi im recovering from acute kidney failure that happened here due to swine flu And an allergic reaction in kidneys to voltaren(voltarol uk name)

I was treated free on Medicare but have to pay prescriptions for prednisolone 30 tablets 25mg And 60 tablets 5mg 100 tablets 1mg are $6.50 each have noticed have to shop around as different chemists charge different prices but they are the cheapest And what the hospital pharmacy charges too

As I'm recovering my nephrologist said I would have no problems applying for PR as not a drain on Australian health service I'd definitely check with Medicare

Hi AlburyAhoy

My better half had a Kidney Transplant 7yrs ago, we have been here nearly 3 yrs now. Helen is on her second transplant and before we got here we went through hell to get here. It turns out that Helen is also the first transplant patient from the uk i beleive.The MOC declined the application from the set go,and after many letters to the director of the MOC , he finally gave her the all clear for us to emeigrate. Any more info needed just send me an email and i will help as much as i can, markv13@btinternet.com

marknhelen

Hi,

What type of visa are you on? I have my transplant 16 years and we are moving under a 457. I didn't even have to have a medical. Delighted. But maybe it will be different if we got for PR. How does she find medical care and meds expenses. I am on about 12 different tabs.

Cheers

Sian

Hi Sian

Prescriptions for her tablets are pretty expensive, about $270 a month and that is just for the basic tablets, consultant fees a month are $120 . There are some tablets that you would get on the NHS that are not prescribed here , so you have to buy them over the counter. All tests,like bone density you have to pay for , thats about $350 each time. Medical insurance just in case her transplant fails is $305 a month, but that is the top cover. The insurance does cover other things, like the dentist.

We moved to an area where we know that there is a Big Kidney Transplant Unit, just for peace of mind aswell. Where is Albury, havnt heared of that place. We live in a place called palm beach,qld. Warm weather is another reason we chose hear. Speak soon Sian. Oh helen does Zumba Fitness which really helps her aswell,lol well helps me , gets her out of my hair for an hr,lol.

Hi Mark,

That is worrying. I thought there was a threshold of $1300 per year for meds and when you exceeded that they were free. $270 pm is a lot more. Are you from the UK? We went into a medicare office when we were over in May and we cannot enrol in medicare as we are Irish. But both me and my Hubbie have out of date UK passports as we were both born in UK. So going to try again when we go over with them. Not sure it will work though.

Cheers,

Sian :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AlburyAhoy & Mark,

great to hear everyone is well, I thought there was a threshold too, have just come back from Sydney, we had a reccie (as such), lovely place, met our MA he seems to think 457 no problem, but PR depends on how much you would cost the country a year.........is this right Mark?

thanks

Caroline

Archived