You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Suzanne111

Fridges and washing machines included in rental properties?

Guest Suzanne111

Hi all,

We are moving to Melbourne at the end of May and are going to be looking for rental properties.

My question - which should be obvious anyway from the title - is whether most properties already have fridges and washing machines? I know they usually have cookers, but I'm not sure about white goods?

We're renting out our house in Scotland and will be leaving our fridge and washing machine here, so we need to know whether we'll have to buy new ones out there.

Thanks!

Suzanne.

Most unfurnished rental houses will have a cooker and possibly a dishwasher. A fridge and washing machine is up to you to get and they are normally only provided in furnished accommodation.

Lots of places here sell them at a reasonable price,,just be wary of the size if you buy one before you secure a rental as lots of houses have 'alcoves' in the kitchen for a fride and some arent big enough to fit the larger double door fridge freezers.

Hope this helps

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Most rentals come with a cooker, tumble dryer and if you are lucky a dishwasher.

and I would imagine only time you will see a fridge is a built-in one.

washing machine? nah

Just cooker and maybe a dishwasher in my experience. I've never seen a fridge or washing machine except in furnished accomodation--and never a tumble dryer even in those.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Guest Suzanne111

Oh noooo! Thank you all ... though it's not what I wanted to hear obviously. Yet another thing to buy when we get there then.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Australia is the most expensive country to live in in the world! If only I'd known that before my Other Half accepted the job there....!:arghh:

Thanks again, Suzanne.

Guest Guest31881

When you go out to buy the things you need, don't look at the ticket price and pay. You are expected to haggle and get the price lower. If you need two or three items you will get a good discount, and do not be afraid to say you are going to look else ware if you are not happy. Buying white goods and domestic stuff in Australia you have to learn to look at the salesman and ask what discount they can give you.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Australia is the most expensive country to live in in the world! If only I'd known that before my Other Half accepted the job there....!:arghh:

Thanks again, Suzanne.

Hi Suzanne, don't panic :cute:

If you look around, you'll find many cheap options. For example, there are many garage sales here.....many people move around a lot and often sell their stuff very cheap...sometimes even for free!!!!

Have a look here:

Victoria Classifieds

And also there are many white good shops competing with each other, often having great sales.

These would be the typical prices:

Appliances Online

Clive Peters

Harvey Norman

We had bought a Bosch washing machine, 8kg, wife very happy with it and it costed around $500. To be honest, I don't think that that is expensive, but having said that, maybe in the UK its cheaper?

Good luck!

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest Suzanne111

Hi, thanks ever so much for the tips about haggling and for the links to the shops. I'm just getting scared at how much the costs are mounting up every day, but I guess you can't expect to do this lightly. Maybe it won't be so bad when we get there.....?!!

Thanks again. x

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

In our rental property we had an oven and dishwasher but no fridge, washing machine or dryer. As we don't want to buy something to fit a property we may not stay in, we're renting a fridge and washing machine - we pay $66 per month. Might we worth considering, at least whilst you decide what you want to buy.

All the best, Sarah

Guest GeorgeD

You may actually find that apartment units will come with a tumble drier. We found that when looking last year. A number of them had rules about not having washing drying on the balcony, so they provide a tumble drier in your utility room or sometimes the bathroom (which seems bizarre to a Brit, but is totally normal in Oz). These were all unfurnished units...they had a cooker and dishwasher but no fridge or washing machine.

Guest Suzanne111

Thanks Sarah, we might look into the rental option although we want to stay for at least 2 years so I suppose it will be cheaper to buy in the long run.

Does anyone know whether my UK washing machine will be compatible if I bring it with me?? I know fridges don't travel well so I won't think about taking it.

Thanks again all. Your help is really appreciated!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I think it would cost more to ship your washing machine than it would be to buy a new one here. I think once you get here, and you start earning dollars, it will be much better; we had very little savings when we moved and had to convert everything from pounds to dollars ... now that my OH has been paid in dollars it's much less worrying!!

Guest Suzanne111

Thanks Angelini, yes it's scary when you're facing loads and loads of fees and expenses before you've started earning anything, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end! And thanks for the advice about the washing machine, I think you're right.

Thanks for this post, we're having the same dilemma!

Fridge, washing machine, and dishwasher?? Leave or bring..... WE CAN'T DECIDE!

Guest sieglinde00

Probably better to buy white goods when you arrive. My friend also shipped washing machine when he moved to Melbourne and he ended up washing clothes by hand while waiting for his washing machine to arrive.

Guest widesheds

I too have heard about he cooker but not yet about the fridge or the washing machine. The simple thing is that most people won't get these for a place that they rarely live, now in case of a house where people live but, are renting you for a couple of days to look for the house only in such cases is there a chance that you might have one. So, I think that it would be better to look forward to be buying one here. There are plenty of places here that you can find these things at a little cheaper cost but the thing is that you will need to search for it. I think that once you are here asking the people nearby would be of a better help.