UK Architect move to Australia

dundeeboi82

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I'm a newbie who's spent the last week or so trawling the forums and have been amazed at the amount of information. We're looking for a bit of advice, and I suppose a bit of reassurance that we're heading along the right path!!

I'm 28 years old and a fully qualified Architect in the UK with 3.5 years post part-3 experience. My same-sex partner, who is 31, works in I.T. and has about 15 years experience in the industry, but no formal tertiary qualifications. We've been together for over 11 years (living together for the past 10 or so). We're looking to emigrate to Melbourne, or at least that area/state so first question is, what's the architecture and IT sectors like there at the moment?

From what I've seen, the 'Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa' seems to be the only one available that doesn't require some form of sponsorship, and should allow me to include my partner on the application. Am I correct that the total visa fee would be $AUD 2,575, and that the second installment mentioned isn't applicable? I cannot see any additional fee for including a partner? What timescales are people experiencing, and any idea what priority Architects are getting? Is it worth boosting your points total by sitting the additional English test, or is the standard 15 for holding a British Passport working for most? Anything else that's worth knowing?

I also understand that I have to have my skills assessed before I can apply, and this is done through a provisional assessment by the Architects Accredition Council of Australia (AACA) at a cost of $AUD 1,050 - has anyone got any experience of this (time scales/completing forms and getting correct info (some of it seems quite strange) etc) as this would be really helpful! It also seems like I'll need to do work experience and go for a final assessment after a year or so - all seems crazy after spending so much time and money on Part 3 in the UK. But if it has to be done, then so be! So UK Architects who have done the move, any advice you have would be great!!

My biggest concern is that, assuming i get the assessment away this week, if it takes longer than 14 weeks, this would mean my visa application would be under the new points system (which I don't think would be a problem), and I would guess an increased fee as well! Anyone know if this is the case?

Other costs associated with the visa seem to be medical costs and police check costs (if required) - am I missing any others?

I've probably got 1001 other questions, but don't want to use my forum quota in one post!! It's such an expensive process that we just want to make sure we've got it all right in our heads! If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!! :biggrin:

Graeme

Guest cazbob

Hi there!

As a fellow architect I just wanted to say hi and welcome!!

It seems like Architectural work is steady down under but not in abundance as it was in the past. A lot of money was ploughed into government funded projects when times got a bit tough and this seems to have kept things buoyant.

I've gone the 457 route, gaining sponsorship with the firm i did work for during my working holiday visa. I'm not sure if this would be viable for you but it may be worth a look - as someone with part 3 experience you'd presumably be snapped up a lot quicker than I, having only just finished my part 2.

Be aware that a lot of work is done in Revit as opposed to CAD (or Microstation / Vectorworks) so it might be worthwhile taking a course in Revit before you go as it'll be something they'll look for on a CV.

Any other questions feel free to ask, and hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable on the 175 side can help out with the questions I can't! :D

Caz

Hi Caz - thanks for the welcome!

Always great to hear from a fellow Architect - looking through the forums I thought we were an endangered species!

Great to hear work is reasonably steady out there - I know a few people who landed in Oz only a month or so again and already have jobs, so hopefully it'll stay this way for a little while.

I've had a look at the 457 route - I suppose at this stage I'm trying to keep my options open work and location wise - I'm currently working in the UK as an architect and the job is steady so not too crucial to get visa quickly (though it would be great to move asap - though got many things to sort before that can happen!). I may end up posting CV etc on the immigration skills matching database once I've submitted my 175 visa as I think you can do that - don't think it'll do any harm anyway! (think the 176 is the same as 175 but sponsored, as it helps those with less points...but i think, if the online checklists are correct, i should be ok point wise).

Thanks for the heads up on Revit - been dabbling in revit a little, but never had the time to get fully immersed in it - constant paperwork and contract admin puts a stop to that! But I think I'll now make it a priority now to learn. Got all the other CAD, 3D, Photoshop skills etc so no harm in boosting the CV a little.

Whereabouts in Australia are you working/going to be working? How does their Architectural working life compare to the UK (assuming you've had work experience in the UK to be able to compare?). Have you travelled round Australia much? We haven't but our gut instinct is saying head to Melbourne, or at least that state

I know it's only early days for us, but it's exciting to be starting - think I'm going to get my AACA skills assessment form sent off on Friday (waiting on all the certified certs and transcripts to arrive) - all a bit mental, once I do that stage, there's no turning back as they say!!

Graeme

Guest Reco5150

Hi Graeme,

I’m new to the site too, but thought I’d try and offer some advice. I’m a structural engineer, so always happy to help an architect! I'm 29 and lodged our 175 visa application mid-February, cost was circa £1650 and you're right the second instalment isn't payable unless you don't speak English. There is no additional cost for your partner as he would be your de-facto spouse, given that you have lived together for more than 12 months.

As I say we lodged mid-February and we have already received an email earlier this month, to say that we should have a case officer assigned in the next three months. In that email we were also instructed to undertake medical and police checks. From what I believe you need to enter Australia to validate your visa, once awarded, within 12 months of those checks been undertaken. So basically things are moving faster than they have been previously. I think the general opinion is that DIAC are ramping up their workload to clear the current backlog before the forthcoming changes in July.

Not totally sure of your points situation but it sounds very similar to mine. I was five points short so undertook the general training IELTS test last month to make the grade. Cost was about £135. I didn't prepare at all as we have a 12 week old baby, but I was quite surprised at the results.

I got 7.5 listening, 7.0 writing, 8.0 reading and 9.0 for speaking. From what I understand, as of July you need 8.0 rather than 7.0 in all areas, which I’m sure will be possible with a bit of work, but there will obviously be less room for manoeuvre. If I were you, providing you can obtain the skills assessment in time, I would lodge prior to the July deadline. The IELTS can then be added later.

In terms of employment I contacted someone at hays.com.au last week and attached a copy of my CV. I explained my situation and the agent was really helpful in providing an insight on work prospects and likely salary. Worth a shot.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan.

Guest cazbob

We are a rare breed alright! :D

It's good you have a job, they are non existent in Dublin right now! :( and i suppose it's best for your circumstances as it's relieves a bit of the urgency so you can take your time deciding the best route.

I'll be heading to Adelaide, just waiting on the final nod for the 457 and i'll be on my merry way.

I haven't worked in the UK but i have a good bit of experience in Ireland (I'm Irish!) and I would have to say that the work/life balance is a LOT better in Oz. I find late nights are part and parcel with work here whereas the firm i worked for in Adelaide they were the exception rather than the rule. In saying that other friends of mine who worked in Brisbane and Melbourne said that office life was much the same as in Dublin so i suppose it depends on what sort of office you end up in and where.

I also found that the roles are a little bit different, with no specific architectural technologists in Oz architects tend to do a larger chunk of the detailing work and often interior designers work as part of the firm also so it's a slight shift from what I was used to but I found it a highly enjoyable way to work and my skills were well appreciated in the office, enough for them to be willing to sponsor me. European qualifications are seen highly in Oz. :D

I would really advise you to get up to speed on Revit, it will stand you in good stead and certainly help you stand out as someone who will be immediately useful in an office. it's not a particularly tricky program and I only did a 3 day course and that was sufficient to allow me to be able to work in Oz with it.

I travelled around Oz, yeah. Did most of the east coast and ventured to Alice springs and a bit of the desert aswell. I was mostly based in Adelaide though.

I have friends in Brisbane and Melbourne and although I liked both, Adelaide suits me best, I have family there and it's the right size city for me. Melbourne is nice and it would probably be my second choice. Sydney would be a bit much for me i think and I'd liken it to London in pace. Brisbane is lovely too and had a good bit of work a few years back when my friend was working in Architecture there and she found work quickly.

All in all it's more about what sort of pace of life and what sort of city you like to live in really! Melbourne is a good middle ground of bustling city yet chilled out lifestyle so your gut might be onto something there! :)

Hi Jonathan,

Great to hear from you as well - thanks for the post and confirming about the costs etc :o).

It's great to hear the initial e-mail didn't take too long to arrive from DIAC - I'm assuming you had to go through a skills assessment as well? Did that part take long to process? It's such a shame you can't get your visa application in whilst the skills assessment is processing. I'm just waiting on my certified transcripts arriving from the Uni, which hopefully is tomorrow, and then the application is good to go! And then I'll be everything crossed that they process it quickly!!

Though one thing you may have run into with your skills assessment - the AACA wont accept payment by card or electronic transfer, the only way from the UK seems to be 'a bank cheque in Australian dollars drawn by a bank outside Australia that has bank clearance arrangements with an Australian bank'. I phoned round three banks today and they all couldn't tell me for definite that they had clearance! Think I'm just going to have to get the foreign cheque from one of them and hope it's ok!

How did you find out for definite you were 5 points short? Was your job description worth 60 like Architect? I've tried several sites and all seem to give slightly different answers. Don't mind taking hte IELTS if I have to, but would like to avoid it since we'll still have the medical and police checks to pay for! Don't know what it's like in your area, but Scotland only has one medical place, so no competition for the prices! I did read somewhere that someone only went for the X-ray there and managed to get their own GP to do the medical and send info to official health place to forward on to DIAC - suppose that would save money, but not sure if it could risk screwing up or delaying your application?

And cheers for the heads up on the hays website - definitely worth a shot. I've read that in Oz you generally attach your references to your CV, is that correct? Needless to say if that's the case, I may have to wait a bit to do this until I tell my current employer!

Graeme

Hi Caz,

Fingers are crossed that your 457 approval arrives soon! Thanks for your thoughts on the various places - it's great that you've got family out there as well. We'll know a few friends and stuff, but still a big move away from everyone we know! I think it's definitely going to be Melbourne for us, well initially anyway to see how things go - don't fancy the busyness of Sydney or the heat/isolation of Perth!

And it sounds like Ireland is very similar to Scotland work wise - we're both originally from Northern Ireland but only ever worked in Scotland. Hopefully we should have a bit of money to allow me a bit of time to look around for the right job, but will be happy to take something to start with - but would quite like the same as your Adelaide firm where it's the exception rather than the rule! So hopefully my gut saying 'Melbourne' is right!

And I think I will definitely get sorted with Revit - if I start now I should hopefully be reasonably up to speed by the time we go to move!

Graeme

Hi guys, well an update for you both - today I sent off my skills assessment! $AU1050 lighter but feeling happy! Fingers crossed I get confirmation in the next twelve weeks so I can apply before changes in July!

And did points check on immi website and I'm at 115 points too - so going to get IELTS test booked for next month.

We're finally cooking with gas as they say! :biggrin:

Guest golly47

Hi Graeme,

myself and my husband starting our appl for the 176 visa... we're just back from oz we were in Perth and Melbourne. Melb does seem to be the place to go for architects but Perth is amazing beautiful beaches city and weather!! (I posted on another forum however and got a very negative response from an australian saying there is NO work for architects in oz which was unsettling but also I think and hope - very untrue!)

We've been told won't make the July deadline at this stage so we're gonna be assessed under the new criteria, only difference he'll have to do english test...did you find out what increase in fees are for new visa? Its all v costly! Be worth it thou! :-)

I've to learn Revit too - do you know where can get a copy of it I'm assuming its v expensive program to buy!!

Good luck with yr appl, great yr in work in meantime. I'm outta work since I qualified so moving on hubbys experience... can't wait to go to oz but looks like a years wait at least to get visa through :-(

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Yet another architect? Our numbers are increasing! :biggrin:

What is it your husband does? I take it he has to go for the 176 route - has he got a sponsor sorted out?

I've got a couple of friends who arrived in Melbourne in the last few months, and two of them got jobs within 2 weeks - can't say it will be as easy as that for us in a year's time, but hopefully the work will be there! Do you think it will be Melbourne with your husband's sponsorship? Is there anywhere else you are considering?

Do you have an agent dealing with your visa app? How did you find out you won't make the July deadline? I sent off my Architect Skills Assessment on 01 April and it still hasn't arrived in at its destination!! That will only give me about 11 weeks to get a positive assessment before the July deadline which I think will be tight. I've booked my IELTS test for beginning of May as I'll need it regardless of which visa rules I'll be under - only difference is I'll need 8 out of 10 in each category rather than 7! Better get practising lol. We're doing the application ourselves - I'm a bit of a list-creating freak and tend to read things about 20 times before doing anything, so hopefully we'll be ok - and will save a bit of money in the process! Money saved can go towards moving our stuff out!

Haven't found out about increase in fees yet - hopefully won't be too much.

I've asked my OH to try and source a copy of Revit for me, but don't know how easy it will be to get! Will let you know!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Raphael

Hi Graeme/everyone,

I'm very new to this site (signed up 5 minutes ago!). Thanks for starting this thread, I didn't think I'd come across anyone who'd be in a very similar situation to mine! First of all, I graduated last July and have been working post Part-2 for 9 months now, hoping to take my Part 3 exams next year. I'm aiming for the 176, but it doesn't look like I'm going to make it because I've yet to send my skills assessment off! After July sponsorship by a relative will be completely scrapped and I won't qualify for the 175 either because I lack the 3 years' experience. In short, things aren't looking up but I'm still looking for ways round it.

I recently got married in September 2010, and yes as far as I'm aware there isn't any additional charges for a partner.

I know this will vary for every individual and with location/practice, but does anyone by any chance know a ball park figure of salary for someone with a 1 year post Part-3 experience (assuming I make the move next year) in say, Melbourne? I, too, am keen on Melbourne because I have been there twice and absolutely love it there. It helps that I have family there as well. It is such a tough choice to make as I'm sure every one here has had to make so we've really got to weigh out our options!

Graeme, another thing I picked up on as well is that after July the minimum points required has been lowered to 65 for both 175 and 176, but we will no longer be awarded any points across all professions in the SOL. Admittedly you'd still have to be in the SOL to qualify, but no points are awarded for profession. If this is true, it makes it even trickier! I may be wrong, though! Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Best regards,

Raphael

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for the post - our numbers are increasing! :biggrin:

Well in terms of the Skills Assessment, I posted it on 01 April 2011, and got a receipt back from them dated 13 April, so I would guess it only took them a few days to check the paperwork and payment was present and correct - let's hope they are as quick in the assessing process, but I'm not holding my breath for it to be returned to me before the 1st July changeover. You would think in this day and age they could have an electronic online system - they're almost as archaic as the RIBA and ARB here lol

Is there any possibility of having your partner as the main application under a 175 visa, or is their occupation not listed?

I can't say for sure about salaries, but a friend of mine just got a job in Melbourne - he has one year less post part-3 experience than me (so he has 2.5 years) and he was able to get a job in the $70k - $80k + super range. I think that was in the heart of the city, so wages would probably be lower the further you head out. Perhaps Caz could advise on Adelaide wages more?

And yes you're right about the points after July dropping - have a look here - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

Under the new points system, I should just (by literally a week lol) get extra points for having 5 years experience, and providing i get a min. of 7 in my IELTS test, then I'll get the 65 points. But I'm very impatient, so if my skills assessment comes back before July, I'll be getting the application in! I'm not sure how you'll score under the new system?

I'm not sure what your age is, but have you thought about the working holiday visa or, like us, is that not a realistic option? You could be lucky and find work for six months and then have that employer sponsor you after that? Again, Caz might be best to advise on that route.

As soon as I hear from the AACA I'll update on here so that should give a bit of guidance of timescales for you, and if I come across any other information that might be useful to us architects I'll post it as well!

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Had to resurrect this thread - got my positive skills assessment today - yay!! :biggrin::biggrin:

From day of posting, to day of receipt was 74 days (from date of their payment receipt to date of the +ve statement was 58 days) - hopefully this information is useful to others!!

Now to apply for the visa tonight - woo hoo!!! Hope everyone's (Johnathan, Catherine and Raphael) visa applications are going well, and hope that Caz has settled back in Adelaide ok!!

:biggrin:

• 3 months later...
Guest feelthebolo

Hey just registered to reply to this.

Im also a recenly qualified part 3 architect. Ive just got my 175 visa thru so plan to move to oz pretty soon.

If you need any advice please ask.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about salaries?? I thought about $75,000 but everyone is telling me that is way low for anywhere in oz.

I cant imagine getting much the first year, would likely need local experience. Its a different career to stuff like IT. You cant just do rule of thumb (as people keep telling me) and mulitply your UK salary by 2 or 2.3. That would mean get at least $110,000. I dont think thats right?

Any offers?

cheers

hi feelthebolo, welcome to PIO and great to hear from another architect!

Great to here you got your 175 visa - do you mind sharing your timeline with us? how long you been part 3 qualified, and did you have any issues with employment experience requirements etc when your application was been assessed by your CO?

Which part of australia are you thinking of heading? is it just yourself, or you got a partner and/or family going with you? i wish i was at the moving stage! though our target is march/april 2012 which really isn't that far away!

In terms of wages, a friend of mine (who has about one year less post-part 3 experience than me) moved to melbourne and got a job in the CBD at somewhere around $80,000+super (which i think is around 10%?). The recruitment firm said he should expect between $70,000-$80,000 and was able to achieve the higher value because he had working experience of revit.

I think we can perhaps take the rule of thumb as a guide, which most people say is 2.2 times your wage, so the above would be about £31,000-£36,000, which i think is a pretty good salary for having less than 5 years post-part 3 experience...after that, the only way is up (hopefully!).

you calculation of $110,000 based on your 2-2.3 ratio would give you a uk salary of £48,000-£55,000. ... now either that was a typo or you are getting a super uk salary for a recently qualified part3 architect!!! if you come back and tell me thats what you're currently earning, i think i might just go mad!lol needless to say, my salary is absolutely nowhere near that and most people i know are in a similar wage situation to me.

good luck with the move (when is it you head?) and give us a shout back on the above if you have time!

G

Guest feelthebolo
hi feelthebolo, welcome to PIO and great to hear from another architect!

Great to here you got your 175 visa - do you mind sharing your timeline with us? how long you been part 3 qualified, and did you have any issues with employment experience requirements etc when your application was been assessed by your CO?

Which part of australia are you thinking of heading? is it just yourself, or you got a partner and/or family going with you? i wish i was at the moving stage! though our target is march/april 2012 which really isn't that far away!

In terms of wages, a friend of mine (who has about one year less post-part 3 experience than me) moved to melbourne and got a job in the CBD at somewhere around $80,000+super (which i think is around 10%?). The recruitment firm said he should expect between $70,000-$80,000 and was able to achieve the higher value because he had working experience of revit.

I think we can perhaps take the rule of thumb as a guide, which most people say is 2.2 times your wage, so the above would be about £31,000-£36,000, which i think is a pretty good salary for having less than 5 years post-part 3 experience...after that, the only way is up (hopefully!).

you calculation of $110,000 based on your 2-2.3 ratio would give you a uk salary of £48,000-£55,000. ... now either that was a typo or you are getting a super uk salary for a recently qualified part3 architect!!! if you come back and tell me thats what you're currently earning, i think i might just go mad!lol needless to say, my salary is absolutely nowhere near that and most people i know are in a similar wage situation to me.

good luck with the move (when is it you head?) and give us a shout back on the above if you have time!

G

Hey good to hear from you!

Yes I think I got that a bit wrong and you are right I would get around 32k in UK now. I converted it to dollars then doubled it or something! It seems a BIG concern that people on another forum keep telling me $75k-80k is LOW AND NOT MUCH!?. They keep putting us architects down! Depressing. I dont know who to believe. I guess the good side is like you said, it can only go up.

I would avoid rushing in Hayes/agencies - I personaly think they rip you off and tell you lower than what you can get so they can make money out of you. They say $70,000-$80,000 on the website. I dont know what a "graduate" architect is equvilent to in Oz - part 1 maybe?! I am going to try going to go direct first then agent after. Think agent will get you work quick though but it might not be a permanant thing. So I might end up doing that. By the way what exactly is "+super" any xmas bonuses?

I was also wondering how much of mortgage you can get for $80k in aus. I know you have to put 10% down. I heard you can get one after about 3 months working there!

I finished my part 3 dec 2008. Applyed via about July 2009. Left england same time.. Been living and working(abit) in Bangkok since. Im still here. I have only had about 1 year work experience since part 3 unfortunately. However I have had about 8 years work experience all together in an archtiects office.

In terms of my application I did it ALL electronically and had no issues really. I got my qualifications assessed by the acas (i think those initials may be wrong) that took about a month then sent in all online. It took about 16 months for a case officer to email me. Then they asked for other info such as degrees (which I thought I already sent them), health check and P45s and P60s (this was a slight difficulty but managed to get off my previous employer.) and passport etc. I just scanned everything in colour and emailed it to them and no probs. The healthcare was easy all done in about 2 hours. Including results and send off electroniclly. But it will probably take longer in UK.

I had no probs apart from getting p45s p60s off my previus employre. Ox visa just want proof you worked i guess.

One experience: I went on holiday for 3 wks to Melbourne, sydney and brisbane in 2009 and did a test to see if I could get a job. I got 2 interviews the first week I was there in Melbourne and one of them was interested in employing me. I could have had more interviews but I didnt bother having any more interviews after that as I thought I could get a job over there ok. This was thru an agent and I mentioned $30-$35 per hour to him and he got excited. Not sure what that is in terms of annual wage?

Im only my own. Although I have a girlfriend now and she might come later if she can dont know how. I still cant decide where to move. Ive narrowed it down to Perth or Sydney. But I keep changing. Ive even considered to hold on and go to China for a year.

I think Sydney is the best city. Its expensive (a cliche) but I think thats because its better. But im worried it will end up caught up in the rat race like uk. Just paying bills and not saving much money. Basically I want work for a year or so and get (mortgage)a 1 bed apartment near a cpd. But I dont know which city to go for or if thats possible on 80k !?? I dont know when im heading over there yet. But I have to at least enter country before june next year.

Do you or anyone know much info on registering in Australia and does it vary state to state. Because I might work in different cities the first couple years.

Soz if this message is a bit mixed up writing a bit quick!

I dont think there is much an issue with Revit. I think you can learn that in a few days. however thats my opinion but Ive only dabbled in it and done aninto course. I was one of the ones who did not get a change to go on the full course at work. But finding out what went on on the course, all they did was go thru a tutorial online! Which you can do at home.

Good to hear people with similar plans

Us architects are resilient creatures, people are constantly putting us down! There is a real misconception that architects get paid the big bucks, but in the majority of cases that just isn't true. I don't know how £32k is as a wage in Bangkok, but I would kill for that at the moment here. We are in the north-east of Scotland (in case you didn't pick that up from the username lol) and the industy is a mess. A lot of people remain out of work, and practices are going into administration on a weekly basis. I am lucky to have employment and I know it's secure, however after no pay rises since part 3 success (Nov '07) and a big pay cut in June '10 (there were 10 redundancies at that time, and everyone else had to take a proportional paycut), I need to do something for the sake of my sanity. I absolutely love architecture, so I really want to get into somewhere I can enjoy doing what I trained 7 years for again! If I dont, I'm going to end up becoming resentful, and changing careers.

Oh, and 'super' is superannuation, which is your employer's contribution to your private pension. I've been told around 10% on top of your wage is the norm. As for Xmas bonuses, well that would be nice!! We have an office party which costs the employer about £30 per person - last of the big spenders, eh? lol

As for $30-35 per hour, I think (and don't quote me on this) that would equate to about $55,000 - $64,000 - that seems a little low (I've based this on gross wage figures in the UK, so the levels of tax deduction and stuff after that might be different). I think at a wage of $80,000 the hourly rate should be around $44. You'd be best to check this with someone who's actually working out there. Same would go for finding out about registration etc - the ACCA website does have some information, but I've not ventured too far into the details at this stage.

I agree that agencies will always want to get you on and off their books in the shortest possible period. I too might try to go it alone for a bit and see how I get on - I know the lack of local experience will be a disadvantage but hopefully my general experience and qualifications will help. The other thing is, get a job through an agency and keep looking for other work independently - as they say, its always easier to find work when you're in work! The one thing I have been told is that they do seem to look favourably at uk architecture qualifications, which might help in the search.

I'm afraid I don't know much about mortgages, apart from I think that they will give you a mortgage basd on how much you can afford per month, so really you need to sit down and work out the figures - there are some online mortgage calcs out there, think there is one on realestate.com.au. I think targeting for a one bed (possibly studio type?) apartment mortgage should be ok, and you might be able to achieve a slightly higher wage in Sydney's CBD. In terms of Sydney's work-life balance, I know of two people - one lives in a beach suburb working for a small firm, and seems to have plenty of free time and a relaxed working environment, and the other is more CBD-based, however he seems to work 9 to 5 as the norm, with overtime working as an exception rather than the rule. It will really depend what you're looking for as a balance, but I think you should be ok.

As for us, the plan is to get a short term rental near the CBD for the first four weeks, spending that time looking at all areas and suburbs to see which is right for us, and apply for jobs at the same time. Then we plan to get a 12 month rental in an area we think we like, and take it from there. We should be coming over with a decent amount of capital from the sale of our property here, but we wont rush into buying, until we are 100% sure we're settled in the right place. Part of me fancies a central based apartment, but another part of me wants a house (which is what we are used to here) in one the beach suburbs.

In terms of your visa application, it doesn't sound like it was too painful an experience! I've front loaded all documents except police checks and medicals, which I'm thinking of pushing ahead with in Oct/Nov in anticipation of getting a CO within 6 months of them. Still got plenty to sort here before then though!

Keep in touch with how all your plans are going and any more info you come across on the whole architecture process in Australia!

Guest feelthebolo
Us architects are resilient creatures, people are constantly putting us down! There is a real misconception that architects get paid the big bucks, but in the majority of cases that just isn't true. I don't know how £32k is as a wage in Bangkok, but I would kill for that at the moment here. We are in the north-east of Scotland (in case you didn't pick that up from the username lol) and the industy is a mess. A lot of people remain out of work, and practices are going into administration on a weekly basis. I am lucky to have employment and I know it's secure, however after no pay rises since part 3 success (Nov '07) and a big pay cut in June '10 (there were 10 redundancies at that time, and everyone else had to take a proportional paycut), I need to do something for the sake of my sanity. I absolutely love architecture, so I really want to get into somewhere I can enjoy doing what I trained 7 years for again! If I dont, I'm going to end up becoming resentful, and changing careers.

Oh, and 'super' is superannuation, which is your employer's contribution to your private pension. I've been told around 10% on top of your wage is the norm. As for Xmas bonuses, well that would be nice!! We have an office party which costs the employer about £30 per person - last of the big spenders, eh? lol

As for $30-35 per hour, I think (and don't quote me on this) that would equate to about $55,000 - $64,000 - that seems a little low (I've based this on gross wage figures in the UK, so the levels of tax deduction and stuff after that might be different). I think at a wage of $80,000 the hourly rate should be around $44. You'd be best to check this with someone who's actually working out there. Same would go for finding out about registration etc - the ACCA website does have some information, but I've not ventured too far into the details at this stage.

I agree that agencies will always want to get you on and off their books in the shortest possible period. I too might try to go it alone for a bit and see how I get on - I know the lack of local experience will be a disadvantage but hopefully my general experience and qualifications will help. The other thing is, get a job through an agency and keep looking for other work independently - as they say, its always easier to find work when you're in work! The one thing I have been told is that they do seem to look favourably at uk architecture qualifications, which might help in the search.

I'm afraid I don't know much about mortgages, apart from I think that they will give you a mortgage basd on how much you can afford per month, so really you need to sit down and work out the figures - there are some online mortgage calcs out there, think there is one on realestate.com.au. I think targeting for a one bed (possibly studio type?) apartment mortgage should be ok, and you might be able to achieve a slightly higher wage in Sydney's CBD. In terms of Sydney's work-life balance, I know of two people - one lives in a beach suburb working for a small firm, and seems to have plenty of free time and a relaxed working environment, and the other is more CBD-based, however he seems to work 9 to 5 as the norm, with overtime working as an exception rather than the rule. It will really depend what you're looking for as a balance, but I think you should be ok.

As for us, the plan is to get a short term rental near the CBD for the first four weeks, spending that time looking at all areas and suburbs to see which is right for us, and apply for jobs at the same time. Then we plan to get a 12 month rental in an area we think we like, and take it from there. We should be coming over with a decent amount of capital from the sale of our property here, but we wont rush into buying, until we are 100% sure we're settled in the right place. Part of me fancies a central based apartment, but another part of me wants a house (which is what we are used to here) in one the beach suburbs.

In terms of your visa application, it doesn't sound like it was too painful an experience! I've front loaded all documents except police checks and medicals, which I'm thinking of pushing ahead with in Oct/Nov in anticipation of getting a CO within 6 months of them. Still got plenty to sort here before then though!

Keep in touch with how all your plans are going and any more info you come across on the whole architecture process in Australia!

Hey there. No I meant 32k is about the amount I would get in UK now if I got a job according to RIBA salarys.

Yeah I had the redundancy situation, thats why I ended up leaving the UK early and had enough. I know what you mean about not enjoying it sometimes. I've worked for some large firms in UK and one in Bkk but now I think working for a small firm would be much more enjoyable in future.

If oz favours uk qualifications sounds good.

Where abouts are you planning to move to? Have you been there before many times. I have only been to oz for 3 weeks before! Im also now considering futher out city, but its just the thought of commuting every day to cpd, Id prefer to get public transport- no more than 40 minseveryday. But some of the small cities only have buses which kind of puts me off a bit.

Ive been racking my brain with Sydney, Perth, Melboure but then I thought what about Caines !? Wonder if can get work there...

ahh no worries, I get you now, and i'm still to find someone getting paid the riba average salary!lol

We're heading to Melbourne direction, and we've never been before! Some think it's a little mad moving to a country you've never even visited, but sometimes you just have to take a chance with things. We looked at every place but there was always something about Melbourne that seemed right for us...well on paper anyway! And i'm a bit like you, don't want too long a commute to work either, though I know it'll be longer than my current 12 minute journey in the car!!

Never really looked much at Cairns tbh, though we tended to keep the search to the lower end of the country for the slightly lower temperatures. In terms of jobs, I suppose just have a look at a couple of the agency sites and see what's on offer!

• 2 months later...

Just found this forum via a google search, another Architect here :biggrin:

I have 3 yrs post PtIII experience and 3 yrs prior to that work experience.

This thread has been very helpful, however I wonder if you guys could pls give an update regarding work for Architects in Oz.

I'm not going to be able to go on Work Hol Visa as I am married and have a little one.

What are the chances of getting sponsorship at the moment?

Hi semhi,

Welcome to the thread!! Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me, albeit you also have a toddler in tow!

I'm using my phone at the mo so can't give too much direction, but is it state sponsorship or employer sponsorship you're thinking about?

In terms of state sponsorship, I think only western australia has architects on the list at the moment, but this could change.

I think you would be hard pushed to get an employer sponsor without having worked in oz, and most job vacancies say they can't offer sponsorship.

Have you thought about a general 175 visa, like I've applied for? Ok, you don't have the certainty of a job on arrival, but you are free to live anywhere in oz. The timelines for processing of 175 visas has reduced dramatically- I applied in june and looking at unofficial timelines I think our visa should come though in january, which is only 7 months.

If you have any other questions, just ask! And if I think of anything else next time i'm on the PC I'll drop you a message!

Graeme

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Hi Graeme

Really appreciate your advice, I think you're right the 175 is probably the best way forward.

Did you contact ACAA and get your skills set sorted out before applying for the 175? I am also going to look into Revit, did you do a short course on it?

Best Regards

Kiran

Hi kiran,

Yes - it is a must to have your full AACA skills assessment approved before applying for the 175 - but trust me, you'll need the time while they're assessing it to get everything together document-wise for the actual visa! Lol

The AACA thing is relatively straight forward and i'm happy to give advice, but their own leaflets with the application form are pretty self-explanatory.

I've not looked too much into revit yet (just had too much else going on with visa, work, house sale,etc) but am planning on getting into in the new year which should be ok as we're not planning to move until april/may time. I will be looking at courses providing they're not too expensive, as its always easier to prove you've used the software if you've got a piece of paper to show it! Lol

You mind me asking where in the uk you are at the mo? How are practices doing in that part of the country? And what about oz- got your sights on any particular part?

Graeme

Hi kiran,

Yes - it is a must to have your full AACA skills assessment approved before applying for the 175 - but trust me, you'll need the time while they're assessing it to get everything together document-wise for the actual visa! Lol

The AACA thing is relatively straight forward and i'm happy to give advice, but their own leaflets with the application form are pretty self-explanatory.

I've not looked too much into revit yet (just had too much else going on with visa, work, house sale,etc) but am planning on getting into in the new year which should be ok as we're not planning to move until april/may time. I will be looking at courses providing they're not too expensive, as its always easier to prove you've used the software if you've got a piece of paper to show it! Lol

You mind me asking where in the uk you are at the mo? How are practices doing in that part of the country? And what about oz- got your sights on any particular part?

Graeme

I was dreaming that sponsorship was going to be easy to get lol

Will have a look on ACAA and I guess there is no turning back after that. :biggrin:

I'm in the East Midlands, things are okay at our practice we have a lot of work coming in, however my reasons for moving are to experience life in another country (feel this is the right age) and ideal with our baby being 9 months old.

I rang Hayes.com.au yesterday and they weren't that helpful, however they did say they have more applicants than jobs.

Archived